• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often does everyone re-wax their Barbour? My Beaufort gets daily use from Oct through March...so far I've rewaxed it each year during the summer, but am wondering if it'll impact longevity if I move to every other year?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often does everyone re-wax their Barbour? My Beaufort gets daily use from Oct through March...so far I've rewaxed it each year during the summer, but am wondering if it'll impact longevity if I move to every other year?

I don't think waxing annually or every other year will effect the jacket's longevity.

You might find toward the end of the second year, that the jacket is not as water resistant.

Garrister

Reaction score
I don't think waxing annually or every other year will effect the jacket's longevity.

You might find toward the end of the second year, that the jacket is not as water resistant.
Rewaxing should prolong longevity, not diminish it. The reason is that waxing, aside from its water resistant qualities, will help protect the fabric from abrasion and stress. Over waxing, however, serves no purpose.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to wax my Beaufort twice a year but now once a year if needed.

I have so many jackets it’s hard to keep up.

thefringthing

Reaction score
So i guess it's a hell of a story trying to find a matching hood for it...
There's a product called "Barbour Classic Sylkoil Hood in Olive" that should match the "Classic" line of jackets.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nato.

IMG_5646.jpeg
IMG_5647.jpeg
IMG_5650.jpeg
IMG_5644_jpg.jpeg
IMG_5645_jpg.jpeg

Trevallon

Reaction score
I lucked out on ebay at the beginning of this year and acquired a near mint Barbour Border jacket, complete with a liner. The back of the label says that it was produced in 1995. I absolutely love the sturdiness and feel of the Border but want to add a shorter Jacket (probably Beaufort) to my wardrobe.

My question to all of you who have handled older (read: pre 2005) Barbours compared to the newer ones: is it true that the quality has gone down since '05? Nick Johannessen from Well dressed dad seems to think so.

If some of you could give an opinion, that would help me determine wether I buy new or hold out and look for older, hopefully still in good condition Barbours on ebay and the like. I am only interested in the "classics", so Beaufort or Bedale, made in England.
(I read a lot in this thread and I'm not generally against moving production overseas or of the opinion that MiE is always better, but it would be interesting to know if the classic models have changed in quality - or not).

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lucked out on ebay at the beginning of this year and acquired a near mint Barbour Border jacket, complete with a liner. The back of the label says that it was produced in 1995. I absolutely love the sturdiness and feel of the Border but want to add a shorter Jacket (probably Beaufort) to my wardrobe.

My question to all of you who have handled older (read: pre 2005) Barbours compared to the newer ones: is it true that the quality has gone down since '05? Nick Johannessen from Well dressed dad seems to think so.

If some of you could give an opinion, that would help me determine wether I buy new or hold out and look for older, hopefully still in good condition Barbours on ebay and the like. I am only interested in the "classics", so Beaufort or Bedale, made in England.
(I read a lot in this thread and I'm not generally against moving production overseas or of the opinion that MiE is always better, but it would be interesting to know if the classic models have changed in quality - or not).
It’s all bullshit. They’re all made well.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pre-2005 Border and two (Runal and Brobel) purchased in the late 2010's. Honestly, I see no quality difference between them.

bzh689

Reaction score
Dear Barbour connoisseurs! Could you please kindly help me with the the following question. I've recently found out that Moorland jacket - which as i though had been discontinued in late 1990s - early 2000s had been produced for some time in late 2000s - early 2010s as A820 Classic Moorland. The question is whether this particular model had been produced in sylkoil fabric alongside with other 'Classic' jackets or in 'Thornproof' waxed? Have checked some pics but still can not say for sure. Moreover as far as i can see there is no 'Traditional sylkoil finish' badge under the flap of left patch pocket. Besides some people say that this jacket had been produced in havier 8oz fabric and because of that jacket's colour is more brownish. So i guess it's a hell of a story trying to find a matching hood for it...
Have finally found out myself that A820 Classic Moorland had been produced in Sylkoil finish. Nevertheless, seller whom i've contacted assured me that the fabric of his Moorland jacket is much thicker than of his Classic Beaufort and the jacket feels havier and sturdy. Unfortunately he is from another city so i can not check it myself...
There's a product called "Barbour Classic Sylkoil Hood in Olive" that should match the "Classic" line of jackets.
Thefringthing, thanks for your kind advice!

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Barbour owners, I am ready to purchase my first Ashby, can you share the difference between olive and sage colours?

I will appreciate your comments.

Regards

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am having some problems with sizing, I am going to buy an Ashby, the vendor insists that the XL armpit to armpit measurement is 22 inches, but that seams inaccurate.

For reference I own:

1.- Barbour International (the traditional one in black) size 44 (too baggy for me in the belly but OK in the arms)
2.- Barbour Liddesldale in L, fits well (attach picture with for your reference) (bought 8 years ago)
3.- Barbour Sapper (tailored): In XL, perfect fit

I use shirts in size 16.5x35 (tailored fit) in Brooks Brothers and Polo and Levi's jeans in 33 waist.

I will appreciate if some fellow member could help me.

IMG_0056.jpeg
IMG_0055.jpeg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My XL Ashby is 24 p2p.

Hello Zippy

Thank you for your kind answer, I almost purchased a XXL (that would have been like a wearing a parachute), but after I insist with the pit to pit measurement, the vendor replied:

====quote===
I think I can see what's happened. I have been measuring from armpit to armpit where the seams intersect as a T with the sleeves. If I measure from the sleeve seam at the furthest point either side is measures 24 inches.

So to illustrate, the photo attached has a green line to indicate where I originally measured to and from (armpit to armpit is 22 inhes). The red line indicates where I think I was supposed to measure it to get 24 inches.
====unquote===

20230601_114833.jpg

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics