• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Number of shirts in rotation?

Number of shirts in rotation?

• Less than 10

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Between 10 and 20

Votes: 59 34.9%
  • Between 20 and 30

Votes: 35 20.7%
  • Between 30 and 40

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • Bigtimer; over 40 (and wear two a day)

Votes: 25 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... That said some become favorites and I certainly wear those more often. When a shirt falls into the favorites category, I'll order more in the same cloth.

Same here. I do make sure to get different features, such as different cuffs or collar. Do you?

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
about 30. better have them tailored for a perfect fit. go for quality than quantity as they say.

antikantian

Reaction score
If we are talking button downs, I have around 50. The regular rotation is closer to 25 or so. I probably need to clear out the shirts I don't use often and replace them. I probably have close to the same number in casual shirts (polos, etc).

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this poll is meant only for sized dress shirts or also includes sports shirts. I think I've got about 90 total at the moment, roughly divided between the two types. I think I have a slight preponderance of dress shirts these days. Nearly all my shirt buying in recent years has been limited to them since the BDs can be worn equally well casually.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have about 30, but it's really 10-20 that I wear with any regularity. Of those, there are five or six go-to shirts and then a few others for less important business. :)

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over 40. Here's the breakdown off the top of my head.:
5 blue OCBD
2 pink OCBD
1 purple OCBD
2 white OCBD
2 white spread collar fc
2 white pinpoint
2 blue spread collar
1 green gingham
1 blue gingham
1 purple gingham
1 yellow plaid
1 burgundy plaid
2 blue houndstooth
3 blue check
1 purple check
2 blue bengal
2 purple bengal
2 green stripe
1 blue striped oxford
1 pink bengal
1 red bengal
1 blue striped
1 pink/black check
1 green/blue check
1 purple/black check
1 blue/brown check
1 blue/tan check

I got rid of 10 or so recently, but I'm sure I still have a few in the rotation not listed.

Kauai

Reaction score
I have ~60 after thinning out 20-30 lower quality shirts that I hadn't considered wearing over the past couple of years

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Same here. I do make sure to get different features, such as different cuffs or collar. Do you?
On occasion I'll order a different cuff ... but rarely change when it comes to the collar ... which is almost always a spread.

More often than not I'll order exactly the same shirt.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I have like 20, as I go I won't replace any and have say 10 identical ones and that's it. I sometimes go for weeks without wearing one though. If I wore shirts everyday I'd stay at 15.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Wow. Didn't know men could have more than 10 shirts! To those who have 25+, are some of them like more than 3 years old? I have about ten and regularly wear five.

preposterous

Reaction score
Wow. Didn't know men could have more than 10 shirts! To those who have 25+, are some of them like more than 3 years old? I have about ten and regularly wear five.

<40 is small-timer. I'm sorry.

I've heard there's a support group, though. Perhaps you should Google it.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score
I confess that I'm not really sure what a dress shirt is, or a sports shirt: I don't think I've ever heard the terms outside SF. Pretty much all my shirts are made identically now - semi-spread collar, two button rounded cuffs - and within the collection there is a spectrum of smartness based on cloth type/colour/pattern, but I would have a hard job dividing them into two distinct types - dress and sports. I suppose there are some that I would probably only wear with a sports coat or more casual suit - are they "sports shirts" then, and the rest "dress"?

I wear a shirt almost every day of my life, have done since I was six or seven. There are maybe ten or twenty days a year that I wear a polo or t-shirt instead. If you want a decent choice each morning and don't want to be doing your laundry all the time, I think it's nice to have about two dozen in total, if not more.

Blamm

Reaction score
Small timer - 35. Weeded out the bad fits over the past year - big improvement - what was I thinking

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads