• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Number of shirts in rotation?

Number of shirts in rotation?

• Less than 10

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Between 10 and 20

Votes: 59 34.9%
  • Between 20 and 30

Votes: 35 20.7%
  • Between 30 and 40

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • Bigtimer; over 40 (and wear two a day)

Votes: 25 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

facet

Reaction score

Wow - sure hope you like your work. Certainly decreases the need for casual shirts/wear.

I actually do like my work a lot; I certainly don't plan on working 5.5 days forever, though. Yeah, I only have two pairs of jeans that I wear on a regular basis.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I confess that I'm not really sure what a dress shirt is, or a sports shirt: I don't think I've ever heard the terms outside SF. Pretty much all my shirts are made identically now - semi-spread collar, two button rounded cuffs - and within the collection there is a spectrum of smartness based on cloth type/colour/pattern, but I would have a hard job dividing them into two distinct types - dress and sports. I suppose there are some that I would probably only wear with a sports coat or more casual suit - are they "sports shirts" then, and the rest "dress"?

I wear a shirt almost every day of my life, have done since I was six or seven. There are maybe ten or twenty days a year that I wear a polo or t-shirt instead. If you want a decent choice each morning and don't want to be doing your laundry all the time, I think it's nice to have about two dozen in total, if not more.

I'm not sure about others' definitions, but I suppose I think of "dress" shirts as those made in smarter fabrics, often plain or with only simple patterns (e.g. butcher's stripes, gingham, herringbone, etc.). "Sports" shirts are those that I think of as with more casual details (e.g. button-down collars, chest pocket, short-sleeves, "Western" details, etc.) and shirts made with "busier"/more casual patterns (e.g. paisley, madras, or plaid). I suppose there are some fuzzy zones; gingham check shirts can be made with "smart" or "casual" details, as can chambray, or linen. "Dress" shirts are those that you would unthinkingly wear with coat and tie; sports shirts are worn almost exclusively open collar, on the weekend, on a trip to the supermarket, taking your wee ones to the park, etc.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually do like my work a lot; I certainly don't plan on working 5.5 days forever, though. Yeah, I only have two pairs of jeans that I wear on a regular basis.

Interesting; good for you.

I'm not sure about others' definitions, but I suppose I think of "dress" shirts as those made in smarter fabrics, often plain or with only simple patterns (e.g. butcher's stripes, gingham, herringbone, etc.). "Sports" shirts are those that I think of as with more casual details (e.g. button-down collars, chest pocket, short-sleeves, "Western" details, etc.) and shirts made with "busier"/more casual patterns (e.g. paisley, madras, or plaid). I suppose there are some fuzzy zones; gingham check shirts can be made with "smart" or "casual" details, as can chambray, or linen. "Dress" shirts are those that you would unthinkingly wear with coat and tie; sports shirts are worn almost exclusively open collar, on the weekend, on a trip to the supermarket, taking your wee ones to the park, etc.

I think this describes it well.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fellows, fellows ... we are forgetting 'country' shirts.* As I'm in tweed 75% of the time, these are among my favorites.

That said, there are times I'll wear a 'town' shirt of gingham or chambray with my tweed. As Academe notes, these can 'pass' while being worn on the other side of the tracks.

Well, that's not precisely what he said, but that is what I have elected to infer.

* When I write country ... that's in the English sense. I'm not talking something worn to a rodeo.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RSS: any chance you can elaborate or post a pic of a 'country shirt'?

I take it this is not it:

BK.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think tattersalls in flannel or brushed cotton.

Just found this one on the Internet:
Tattersall.jpg

Or my shirt in this 'ensemble' ...
IMG_1280.jpg

Last edited:

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tattersall.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

Fellows, fellows ... we are forgetting 'country' shirts.* As I'm in tweed 75% of the time, these are among my favorites.

That said, there are times I'll wear a 'town' shirt of gingham or chambray with my tweed. As Academe notes, these can 'pass' while being worn on the other side of the tracks.

Well, that's not precisely what he said, but that is what I have elected to infer.

* When I write country ... that's in the English sense. I'm not talking something worn to a rodeo.

Is that shirt from Hoggs of Fife? We just drove by their shop in Cupar on our quest for some variegated periwinkles! :happy:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The one in my ensemble is not ... the photo I found on the internet is. But I was thinking you might get a kick out of it were you to see it!

Should anyone want to check them out: http://www.hoggs.co.uk/index.php

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tattersall.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

Interesting - I thought these were in Academe's fuzzy zone, but agree that they should be in a category of their own.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Previously I'd call that a "sport shirt", but "country shirt" makes perfect sense to me now.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Previously I'd call that a "sport shirt", but "country shirt" makes perfect sense to me now.
Though I suppose "sport," in the traditional British sense, really meant country pursuits (horse riding, shooting, deer stalking, fishing, etc.) then the terms are probably almost synonymous.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Though I suppose "sport," in the traditional British sense, really meant country pursuits (horse riding, shooting, deer stalking, fishing, etc.) then the terms are probably almost synonymous.

I think you are right: dress shirt = town shirt and sport shirt = country shirt. But I'm recalling the days when I first began to use British shirtmakers (New & Lingwood back in Sean O'Flynn's early days and then Bowring Arundel & Co. before Whittaker went off to Dege), the terms town shirt and country shirt were what I most often heard.

But the shirts I'm referencing -- be they town or country -- can easily be paired with a coat. There are, however, some shirts out there -- more than a few even made by Jermyn Street makers -- that I can't see being worn (not easily or well) with a coat. What do we call those shirts?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads