• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Number of Dress Shoes

gilwood

Reaction score
I have 4 pairs of Allen Edmonds two brown and two black, 1 pair of Red Wing GTs, and 1 pair of old Johnston Murphy's that I probably will sell soon.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have 3: Black, light brown and dark brown. Would like a few more with varying styles. Maybe another black, and 2 more browns (black and brown wingtips, brown double monk straps)

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I have 3: Black, light brown and dark brown. Would like a few more with varying styles. Maybe another black, and 2 more browns (black and brown wingtips, brown double monk straps)

How about a great pair of burgundy shoes?

Burgundy is very versatile..

You also need a pair of wholecut..

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For about 6 years I got along just fine with one pair of black wingtips, one pair of brown cap toes and one pair of tan loafers. I shined them almost every weekend. I was one of the better dressed guys in my work and social scene.

You don't really need a lot of shoes. Just the right ones.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
For about 6 years I got along just fine with one pair of black wingtips, one pair of brown cap toes and one pair of tan loafers. I shined them almost every weekend. I was one of the better dressed guys in my work and social scene.

With these 3 models , you cannot be wearing all the time the right time shoes especially if your wardrobe is extensive...

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people I know have one or two pairs of shoes for work, and one pair for going out. Very few people, if any, ever notice.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got 5 or 6 right now, but I have a bunch of workboots and other shoes too.

2 AEs. 1 Florsheim Imperial, 1 RLPL, 1 Bass, 1 RM Williams.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have five - two brown (wing tip and cap toe), two black (wing tips), one cordovan (longwings). I am not counting dessert boots or loafers (three total) or other lace ups with rubber / lug sole (three total). I want a brown pebble grain longwings, and next fall I get dress boots (Alden #8 is what I have in mind)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
Most people I know have one or two pairs of shoes for work, and one pair for going out. Very few people, if any, ever notice.

This is true. Most people outside of SF have 1 or 2 pairs. After wear them until they get worn out, then replace. So the data in the poll posted early represents a very small portion of the population.

Well, I personally have more than 10 pairs... what do I know..

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For about 6 years I got along just fine with one pair of black wingtips, one pair of brown cap toes and one pair of tan loafers. I shined them almost every weekend. I was one of the better dressed guys in my work and social scene. You don't really need a lot of shoes. Just the right ones.
+1 For me its more about versatility and appropriateness for my next acquisitions, a pair of Black cap toes and another pair of dark brown cordovan wingtips are on the list. That will round out what i have, and leave me with 8 pr, which I could easily eliminate 2 of those, but I'll keep them for nights when I'm out at nightclubs where drunk people step on your shoes...alot!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
19 pair
Only one double (brown double monks, but they are different from eachother enough to be justified)
2 pair are boots.
The rest are all unique and serve specific functions (bad weather, different suit or SC options).

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

++++++++

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads