• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NON-Slim Fit Pants. The Anti-Mabitex Thread

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am so glad I found this thread! I was looking into Mabitex pants but saw this and knew they were not for me. Even after alterations on pants I have never found a pair that fit right. If they fit the thighs the waist is huge and bunches up when I put on a belt. Just one of the blessings of having a big butt and thighs I guess. Its gotten better since I quit squatting for college fb workouts (its hard to squat when you have a fractured vertebrate) but it still happens. When I find a pair that fits right while standing still, they tend to look awkward when I walk.

I will be keeping track of this thread, I hope to find some new ideas.

emptym

Reaction score
In college I rowed crew and had 26" thighs and a 31" waist. This was the early 90's so most pants were pretty baggy then, but I think most classic, US cuts should still fit you guys. Try Patagonia for chinos and Brooks and Polo for dress pants, particularly the models with double, forward pleats

dsmolken

Reaction score
I got a few pairs made by a cheap local tailor but I'm also interested in ideas for some "nicer" options.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed has contacted me regarding the Classic cut Panta line and I am remaining rather optimistic.

Today I am wearing a sz. 38 Canali I picked up on the 'Bay and had slimmed but something is missing. I still want the great tailored fit that you find with Mabitex/Yount/Panta but in a fuller cut. It seems Canali said 'oh, size 38? Here's a bunch of extra fabric all over the place fat @ss'. There is no form or taper below the seat of the pants, just........pants....all over the place.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much do panta pants run?

Anyone think its possible to make a non pleated pair of pants fit a guy with a big butt/thighs?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zanella makes a nice pant with a full leg. I'm not sure if this is the look you are going for though.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received 2 E Zegna pants today and found them too full for my taste. I could measure the thighs for you but I would guess they are around 29" (14.5 x 2) in a size 34.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for pleated or flat? I'm in the same boat, and cannot wear super slim pants. I prefer Zegna, which are a good compromise between tight and baggy.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this thread. Companies make 38 waist pants with chicken legs? Most guys with a 38 inch waist are carrying some extra weight in the thighs.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
I don't understand this thread. Companies make 38 waist pants with chicken legs? Most guys with a 38 inch waist are carrying some extra weight in the thighs.

Yes, Mabitex makes 38 pants with chicken legs as does Howard Yount (no offense). These pants absolutely do not fit. This is not about those with legs that happen to not be skinny, this is a thread for people who buy boxers to wear to bed and have to cut the leg open so they fit.
blush.gif

The question is simply this:

Where can those with large legs find nicely constructed pants with a similar quality / price ratio as we see in the Mabitex / HY / Panta range.

Buying a size 40 and then taking the waist in until you have a uni-pocket is not an attractive proposition.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Are you looking for pleated or flat? I'm in the same boat, and cannot wear super slim pants. I prefer Zegna, which are a good compromise between tight and baggy.

Flat. I have tried double, single and reverse pleated and simply don't care for them. Despite what the salesmen have tried to tell me (based on the goods they had to offer) flat front pants and a full seat/thigh can work if the pants are properly constructed. I have examples of such in my closet...

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Despite what the salesmen have tried to tell me (based on the goods they had to offer) flat front pants and a full seat/thigh can work if the pants are properly constructed. I have examples of such in my closet...
Hip-hop jeans never had pleats, after all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads