• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No access to gym for a bit (rigged workouts)

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm away from home for a week or so, and only have access to two 40 lb dumbbells.

I've been doing the following every day (since I'm doing light weight), which seems to be a pretty good workout, as I'm sore afterwards. Every lift is with the two 40 lb dumbbells which are the only weights I have access to.

Squat 3 x 10
Deadlift 3 x 10
Lateral Raise 3 x 10
Military Press 3 x 10
Bench Press 3 x 10 (on the floor)
Curl 3 x 10
Hammer Curl 3 x 10
Shrug 3 x 10

I'm also doing 200 pushups and situps.

Clearly 40 lb dumbbells aren't a lot of weight, but is something like this for a week fine? I'm also not supplementing any protein or creatine during this period, just eating normal meals.

adversity04

Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be fine for a week? Do what you can with what you have and go back to your previous routine when you have access to higher weights. If you can find somewhere to do pullups and dips that would be something else to add. Maybe chair dips or something

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
Why wouldn't it be fine for a week? Do what you can with what you have and go back to your previous routine when you have access to higher weights. If you can find somewhere to do pullups and dips that would be something else to add. Maybe chair dips or something

Oh, I'm sure it's plenty good to prevent muscle loss, I'm just wondering about the frequency of workouts. I've actually switched to a slightly different routine normally that has accelerated my cutting, a 5-6 day a week lifting routine alternating low rep high weight workouts with higher rep lower weight workouts, but with plenty of protein to keep my muscles happy. I've actually felt a bit more sore with the workout I'm doing at home, I think largely because of less supplementation/protein.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lateral raise with 40? That's A LOT of weight if you're doing it with proper form.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yeah that's very impressive if he's doing it right.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+1 on the lat raises. Although I venture he's using the 90 degree lift as opposed to the straight arm.

Have you tried to use any 1 legged and 1 armed exercises? I forget what the technical name is, Eason could probably tell you, but you hold 1 arm mid rep and flex the muscle, while using the other arm to to full range reps. then switch arms and do the same thing for the other arm. Those are a *****. 1 legged squats and deadlifts, as well as, 1 arm bench and military presses work well also.

I know you said previously you've got knee and other problems but do they prohibit you from doing plyometric exercises? Jump squats, cleans, and snatches could be easily adapted with the dumbells.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty tired just doing this workout, so I think I'll just stick to this. I don't think I'm going to do any plyos or anything like that with my 40 lb dumbbells at my parents house.

As far as the lateral raises go, I'm not sure what you mean about 90 degree ones, but I am not bending my elbows... I'm doing it like this girl is in the video except with 40 lb dumbbells.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vide...teralraise.wvx

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Why not just take the week off? Keep on your diet and you'll be stronger than before you left.

Or find a place to run hills and pull a makeshift sled. Then you'll want to take a week off.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I'm pretty tired just doing this workout, so I think I'll just stick to this. I don't think I'm going to do any plyos or anything like that with my 40 lb dumbbells at my parents house. As far as the lateral raises go, I'm not sure what you mean about 90 degree ones, but I am not bending my elbows... I'm doing it like this girl is in the video except with 40 lb dumbbells. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vide...teralraise.wvx
Didn't know you were at the parents. That might make jumping around and tossing weights a bit odd. This is the lateral raise I was talking about:
lateral_raises.jpg
See how the elbows are slightly bent? Usually, when working with heavier weight, most will slightly bend the elbows to offset the tension on the joints from the heavier weight.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm on some sort of leisure vacation or trip for a week, I would stop exercising. I would be too busy drinking and having fun.

If I were on a business trip, I would try to keep up the routine, though.

And 40 lb lateral raise in itself is not that impressive, but doing it 10 times x 3? That's impressive. I could probably do it 3-4 times max before my shoulder blades pop out.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
Didn't know you were at the parents. That might make jumping around and tossing weights a bit odd.

This is the lateral raise I was talking about:

lateral_raises.jpg

See how the elbows are slightly bent? Usually, when working with heavier weight, most will slightly bend the elbows to offset the tension on the joints from the heavier weight.

What muscles does this target?

I used to do them at home without bending my elbows, but when i hit the gym the trainer there told me not to keep them straight.

I did feel i was getting a lot less of a workout out of it then.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
delts and traps.
Actually, since this is an isolation exercise, your traps should not come into play. This exercise is meant to target the side and rear deltoids depending on the angle of your arm. Mostly it's used as a side delt exercise.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem with the 90 degree is that people get sloppy and just add a lot of weight and throw it up... I'm not a big guy... 6"2, 182 lbs... i just work out to stay in shape... but MAN do i hate idiots at the gym trying to look cool lifting like idiots. There's so much desire to walk up and tell them to do it right.

falsestart

Reaction score
drizzt I bet you're body is just responding well to a new routine, good to shake things up on a regular basis

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads