• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

WDD_Blog

Reaction score
That quilted Cameraman is flogging a dead horse one time too many. Or maybe I'm the only person in the world that things quilted stuff just looks really ****....

indigoeagle

Reaction score
Does anyone know what jacket that guy in Spectre opposite of Q in the ski gondola (is that the word in English?) is wearing?
It has a nice big collar that looks like shearling.
Not sure, if it's Cabourn, but it is a similar style.

PhilVo

Reaction score
That quilted Cameraman is flogging a dead horse one time too many. Or maybe I'm the only person in the world that things quilted stuff just looks really ****....

I think the jacket looks really cool. Quilted jackets are essentially British and I think this will turn out really nice. But obviously down to taste. I recently saw that Cabourn is working on waxed Harris Tweed jackets - a Mallory in waxed tweed would be an amazing idea.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://ponytailjournal.com/womens-wear/seahorses-cabourn-x-lavenham-coming-atcha-for-winter-16/

Pretty cool new collaboration. I kind of expected this to happen given Drew was posting pictures of Lavenham jackets all the time and I think he even modelled for them. Nice colours and very different materials!

I think the jacket looks really cool. Quilted jackets are essentially British and I think this will turn out really nice. But obviously down to taste. I recently saw that Cabourn is working on waxed Harris Tweed jackets - a Mallory in waxed tweed would be an amazing idea.

Hear hear. A different take on the Cameraman is welcome, not there is anything wrong with it at present, so long as it's done well. Too tough to tell from the pictures, and I won't comment on the looks or link, but it looks as though the fabric is the same with just a color contrast. The for me would be the mistake here. The upper needs to be something more synthetic or for lack of a better term "smooth" while the lower should be a contrasting hand feel. I'll have to see close-ups, but if they got the transition right they'll be interesting. That was one issue with the Cameraman from two seasons ago, the one with the Harris Tweed vest inside. The outer looked awfully being ventile over ventile. SS15's Cameraman worked as it was all linen of course. One suggestion I would have had during the design stage was a traditional quilted upper with the usual Harris Tweed lower. That looks to have been a huge miss.

Still I don't have a problem with quilted pieces. I like them and agree with Phil that they're essentially British. I have a great Barbour x Tokito quilter blazer/jacket that is a tweedy wool with suede patches. Great looking piece even if the quality of the materials could have been better. Anyway, please don't buy any of it. Save it for the rest of us just as with the Lybro and the laughable moaning about the labels and everything else. In fact I know some of you are so upset that you're surely ready to offload all your Cabourn so that you're not complete hypocrites. Don't worry, we'll contact with you pricing and shipping details.
sly.gif

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://ponytailjournal.com/womens-wear/seahorses-cabourn-x-lavenham-coming-atcha-for-winter-16/

Pretty cool new collaboration. I kind of expected this to happen given Drew was posting pictures of Lavenham jackets all the time and I think he even modelled for them. Nice colours and very different materials!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

not another bloody collaboration

sorry "fan boys" but this company has run out of ideas.

Last edited:

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score
I like the look of the quilted Mallory

I have a Barbour quilted dark green waistcoat that I sometimes wear under my dark green Mallory ( it's actually the Manufactum Tenzing but same thing really barring a few minor details)

I agree too much quilting is a bit horsey and Sloane Ranger ( for those old enough to remember the 80's fashionista) but if it's done properly it could be a nice addition

Love the post that quilting reminds you of oven gloves - had a good giggle on that!

It's not the first time that Nigel has had a collab that produced a quilted jacket - remember Skyline Jacket from the first Eddie Bauer collection

Agree that the Cameraman looks a bit too fussy - the quilting obscures the simplicity of the garment which I think has always been at its best in its first conception - Mcintosh and plain tweed

PhilVo

Reaction score

I disagree. A Cameraman partially made of quilted Lavenham fabric and either regular tweed or Ventile sounds pretty cool to me. Besides, why not stick to your best designs and rework them? Really don't see your problem.

indigoeagle

Reaction score
I recently saw that Cabourn is working on waxed Harris Tweed jackets - a Mallory in waxed tweed would be an amazing idea.
I agree. This sounds very interesting.
I'm a big fan of the waxed fabrics. Very happy with my Cabourn Filson Workcape Jacket.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree. A Cameraman partially made of quilted Lavenham fabric and either regular tweed or Ventile sounds pretty cool to me. Besides, why not stick to your best designs and rework them? Really don't see your problem.

Cameraman should of been discontinued years ago.

Because it's a really bad idea.

Because it's flogging a dead horse.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like that Cabourn sticks to the same designs season-to-season. Fashion turnover nowadays is much too quick -- you buy something expensive one season, and it's almost out of style the next. There's something nice about a designer who only tweaks things at the margins and doesn't feel the next to totally revamp things with every new collection.

Lavenham collection looks good to me. I don't think I'll be buying anything from it, but that lookbook with Ponytail Journal looks great. She's been doing a bunch of photoshoots with Cabourn, all of which look really good.

http://ponytailjournal.com/tag/nigel-cabourn/

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quilted jackets are OK if you take your sartorial tips from twats like jezza clarkson & piers Morgan

facepalm.gif

Exactly.
I agree. This sounds very interesting.
I'm a big fan of the waxed fabrics. Very happy with my Cabourn Filson Workcape Jacket.

Love mine as well. Finally got to wear it now and it's a great piece. Amazing collaboration that one.

Cameraman should of been discontinued years ago.

Because it's a really bad idea.

Because it's flogging a dead horse.

Yeah, discontinue the Cameraman, one of your most iconic pieces and probably one of your best sellers season after season.

I like that Cabourn sticks to the same designs season-to-season. Fashion turnover nowadays is much too quick -- you buy something expensive one season, and it's almost out of style the next. There's something nice about a designer who only tweaks things at the margins and doesn't feel the next to totally revamp things with every new collection.

Lavenham collection looks good to me. I don't think I'll be buying anything from it, but that lookbook with Ponytail Journal looks great. She's been doing a bunch of photoshoots with Cabourn, all of which look really good.

http://ponytailjournal.com/tag/nigel-cabourn/

Well the Cabourn styles are generally very classic. I'd say that's down to a combination of things, but I agree that he should stick with his more iconic pieces. What I would add though is that there is room to continue to introduce new styles.

I won't comment on the journal much. Not a fan though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads