• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thanks for starting this thread. I'll be interested to see what comes from this. Can anybody tell me were Nicks boots compare to White's and Viberg in regards to quality and price? Where would one find the various boots they sell, vendors, and do they have a website?

VegTan

Reaction score

Looking forward to receiving mine:
There are two kinds of Nick's boots and the boots you ordered seem to be Nick's Contenders. Nick's Welted (versus White's boots)
http://web.archive.org/web/20000816044458/http://www.nicksboots.com/cutaway.htm This traditional rolled welt method of boot construction differs from the way Nick's Contenders are made by the way that the vamp (toe) is attached to the sole. These rolled welt constructed boots are available to be custom fit to your foot. Most styles of boots made by Nick's can be built using this method, and be custom fitted to your foot.
http://web.archive.org/web/20000708202551/http://www.nicksboots.com/welted.htm Using the traditional, time-honored way of building a hand-made boot, a welt is sewn to the vamp (toe) leather through a grooved channel on the bottom side of the inner sole. This step is done by hand using an awl and special waxed hand sewing thread. The inner sole is stitched to the vamp & welt before the arch and twelve iron mid-soles are glued and nailed on. Now the rubber outsoles are added and the soles, mid-soles, vamp, and welt are all stitched together with two rows of interlocking stitches. (The heavy Vibram sole is glued and screwed on for extra support.) The heels are then attached and the boot is sanded and finished.
Nick's Contenders (versus Hathorn, Wesco, and Viberg boots)
http://web.archive.org/web/20000816044458/http://www.nicksboots.com/cutaway.htm These boots are made with the McKay lockstitch method of construction. This is a simpler method than used in the Nick's Welted Custom, but produces a very sound boot that has had an excellent history. Contenders are not available for custom patterns or fitting. However, Nick's makes every effort to make certain that you have the best fit available.
http://web.archive.org/web/20000519075747/http://www.nicksboots.com/contenders.htm McKay Construction Nick's Contender line of boots use McKay lockstitch construction, and are triple stitched. First, it is stitched through the leather liner, the ten iron insole, and the twelve iron middlesole with one row of McKay Lockstitching. Then the vamp (the toe piece) is turned out and double stitched (two rows) to the middle sole and the outsole. Custom patterns and fitting are not available in this type of construction. Nick's makes every effort to ensure that you have the best fit available. The Contender is only available in stock sizes. If you have special or unusual fitting requirements, we suggest you consider a welted boot.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Here's a a cutaway pic I pulled from @VegTan's link of Nick's boots:

and here's Viberg, though I don't know how this compares to their current WorkBoot.com offerings or Viberg.com offerings:

and here's White's:

In terms of comparisons of all of them, I've only ever handled Nick's stock leathers, but I was pretty disappointed in feeling them. This is my opinion as well:
I was really unhappy with the leather samples sent by Nick's (of their three standard leathers, black, chocolate, and walnut). They were very tough, and plasticky on the smooth side. I'd suggest that anyone considering Nick's avoid their standard leathers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Going to chime in with a little more on why I think you should avoid Nick's stock leathers: not only do they feel awful, they can wrinkle pretty horribly.

(source)

Their stitching looks a lot cleaner than White's or Wesco (though I still prefer Viberg) and the construction quality seems good, but man that stock leather is a deterrent. I'm excited to hear more about their other leather options after the factory visit.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Going to chime in with a little more on why I think you should avoid Nick's stock leathers: not only do they feel awful, they can wrinkle pretty horribly.
I'd bet that outside of Japan, there's probably not many people going to Nick's for fashion reasons, so I'd imagine the leather is durable, but it just doesn't seem appropriate for us, or at least for me.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have the link to it?
@nickscustomboots

Check out these beauties. Help name em! I've already posted my suggestions ;)

Tho I think they'd look better with an extra (or two) eyelet

Edit- that pic looks like ass!!

Last edited:

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Looks like they're using "chrome mexcel" now. Glad to see they're adding some new leathers besides the standard work boot ones. Is the weekender series is their answer to Viberg.com?

Reaction score

I'm guessing that's mexican-made CXL.

Just got back from Nicks. As you know, they just started an IG account which will have regular updates of new goods. The leather they are using for all their boots, including the new casuals, comes from Seidel Tannery here in the USA. the leather they use for their work and fire boots is pretty stiff, but SUPER tough...the real deal. The new casuals in this post will be using a new leather from Seidel called Aniflex... (Formerly Mexcel) which is Seidels take on Chromexcel. It's aniline stain dyed and has a good pull-up effect with a nice wax top coat. Nicks does make one of the new boots in Natural Cxl, as nothing can compare to the unique characteristics of Natural Cxl.

Nicks will be launching a new Website soon with these and 3-4 other styles.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Just got back from Nicks. As you know, they just started an IG account which will have regular updates of new goods. The leather they are using for all their boots, including the new casuals, comes from Seidel Tannery here in the USA. the leather they use for their work and fire boots is pretty stiff, but SUPER tough...the real deal. The new casuals in this post will be using a new leather from Seidel called Aniflex... (Formerly Mexcel) which is Seidels take on Chromexcel. It's aniline stain dyed and has a good pull-up effect with a nice wax top coat. Nicks does make one of the new boots in Natural Cxl, as nothing can compare to the unique characteristics of Natural Cxl.

Thanks a lot for all of the information and pictures. I assumed the "chrome mexcel" was a typo; I didn't realize Seidel made a leather called that. So is this Aniflex vegetable-re-tanned like Chromexcel, or is it just a wax-coated chrome-tanned leather? Any thoughts on how the Aniflex compares to CXL?

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score

Ha...here I am making a joke about a typo, and in reality, "Mexcel" is a thing!

Thanks for the info on Seidel's offerings. Exciting to see a competitor to Horween. I wonder why they don't offer an undyed version of their Mexcel, as presumably it would be very similar to natty CXL.

andy b.

Reaction score
Thanks again for starting this thread!! Already a lot of good info!
Now I have to wait for some White's/Nick's comparisons to see how they compare to what I already have.

I would be using these for something closer to work boots than style statements, so the heavier-duty leather appeals to me.

And it is good to hear Nick's is coming up with a new web site. The current one, while functional, I don't believe gives the full spectrum of what Nick's can do.

Andy B.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads