Nick's Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cathpah, Jan 29, 2014.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Another thanks for starting this thread. I'll be interested to see what comes from this. Can anybody tell me were Nicks boots compare to White's and Viberg in regards to quality and price? Where would one find the various boots they sell, vendors, and do they have a website?

2. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

There are two kinds of Nick's boots and the boots you ordered seem to be Nick's Contenders. Nick's Welted (versus White's boots)
    Nick's Contenders (versus Hathorn, Wesco, and Viberg boots)

3. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

Here's a a cutaway pic I pulled from @VegTan's link of Nick's boots:

[​IMG]

and here's Viberg, though I don't know how this compares to their current WorkBoot.com offerings or Viberg.com offerings:

[​IMG]

and here's White's:
    [​IMG]

In terms of comparisons of all of them, I've only ever handled Nick's stock leathers, but I was pretty disappointed in feeling them. This is my opinion as well:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

4. missusjuiceman

missusjuiceman Member

Going to chime in with a little more on why I think you should avoid Nick's stock leathers: not only do they feel awful, they can wrinkle pretty horribly.

[​IMG]

(source)

Their stitching looks a lot cleaner than White's or Wesco (though I still prefer Viberg) and the construction quality seems good, but man that stock leather is a deterrent. I'm excited to hear more about their other leather options after the factory visit.

5. misterjuiceman

I'd bet that outside of Japan, there's probably not many people going to Nick's for fashion reasons, so I'd imagine the leather is durable, but it just doesn't seem appropriate for us, or at least for me.

6. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

7. misterjuiceman

Do you have the link to it?

8. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

@nickscustomboots

Check out these beauties. Help name em! I've already posted my suggestions ;)

Tho I think they'd look better with an extra (or two) eyelet

[​IMG]

Edit- that pic looks like ass!!

9. misterjuiceman

Looks like they're using "chrome mexcel" now. Glad to see they're adding some new leathers besides the standard work boot ones. Is the weekender series is their answer to Viberg.com?

10. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

I'm guessing that's mexican-made CXL.

11. VermilyeaPelle

VermilyeaPelle Member

Just got back from Nicks. As you know, they just started an IG account which will have regular updates of new goods. The leather they are using for all their boots, including the new casuals, comes from Seidel Tannery here in the USA. the leather they use for their work and fire boots is pretty stiff, but SUPER tough...the real deal. The new casuals in this post will be using a new leather from Seidel called Aniflex... (Formerly Mexcel) which is Seidels take on Chromexcel. It's aniline stain dyed and has a good pull-up effect with a nice wax top coat. Nicks does make one of the new boots in Natural Cxl, as nothing can compare to the unique characteristics of Natural Cxl.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nicks will be launching a new Website soon with these and 3-4 other styles.

12. misterjuiceman

Thanks a lot for all of the information and pictures. I assumed the "chrome mexcel" was a typo; I didn't realize Seidel made a leather called that. So is this Aniflex vegetable-re-tanned like Chromexcel, or is it just a wax-coated chrome-tanned leather? Any thoughts on how the Aniflex compares to CXL?

13. ben2t

ben2t Senior member

There must be Service Boots on that new line up! [​IMG]

14. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Ha...here I am making a joke about a typo, and in reality, "Mexcel" is a thing!

Thanks for the info on Seidel's offerings. Exciting to see a competitor to Horween. I wonder why they don't offer an undyed version of their Mexcel, as presumably it would be very similar to natty CXL.

15. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

Thanks again for starting this thread!! Already a lot of good info!
    Now I have to wait for some White's/Nick's comparisons to see how they compare to what I already have.

I would be using these for something closer to work boots than style statements, so the heavier-duty leather appeals to me.

And it is good to hear Nick's is coming up with a new web site. The current one, while functional, I don't believe gives the full spectrum of what Nick's can do.

Andy B.