1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Nick's Boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cathpah, Jan 29, 2014.

1. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Well-Known Member

That's what I was worried about.

2. SiegfriedFuerst

SiegfriedFuerst Well-Known Member

As far as I know Stead only does suedes and exotics. Here's their product page. I wonder if they do the Kudu that Carmina used in the Jumper boots they did for Epaulet?

3. misterjuiceman

I'm not at all a fan of Alden's calf, so that's a good thing. I tried looking into the Kudu that Carmina used, but I can't seem to figure out if it's from Charles F. Stead. I was a little alarmed to find this, though I'm sure there's a wide range of leather qualities coming from them.

4. VermilyeaPelle

VermilyeaPelle Member

Just for fun, here are a few sample hides I had Charles F. Stead do up. These are heavily waxed and greased....similar to the tannage on Waxed Kudu Alden is using. Darker one is "Snuff" Rambler and the lighter is "Teak" Rambler. This is REALLY nice leather...super nice distressed flesh out.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

Wow. Those look phenomenal...especially the top one. I'd love to see that on a boot.

6. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

Ordered and ready to roll. They'll be here in 10-14 weeks, and they were able to do/split the Dark Olive CXL into proper thickness for tongue leather, so it'll be Dark Olive CXL all around. Cannot wait.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  7. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Wow, that top leather is almost cheating with patina. Plus thick and likely water-resistant... I'm salivating already

I look forward to seeing them someday. Glad they were able to split the CXL for you, its a beautiful leather

8. b-ewing

b-ewing Well-Known Member

Kudo hides are notoriously marked up. Them animals get snagged up in the thickets

9. anrobit

I'm not sure if these are truly Kudu. I know Alden's "Kudu" leather is not Kudu. I'm assuming because this is similar in tannage to Alden's Kudu, it's not actually leather from a Kudu but rather leather that has been similarly tanned and waxed

10. b-ewing

Wusses, I say. Some jacket makers have been known to use real kudo. Perhaps the hides just aren't thick/durable enough to be practical for boots?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  11. anrobit

I gather it's likely too rare and expensive to use commonly for boots. There are some boots that have used real kudu leather

12. SiegfriedFuerst

SiegfriedFuerst Well-Known Member

This is the description of the waxed kudu from the Stead Tannery site. "

The Kudu is an Antelope from Southern Africa, living wild in the bush, and culled seasonally on a sustainable basis. The Antelope family have traditinally provided skins which make unique leather offering a combination of softness with strength, and a striking appearance."

I suspect that it's real kudu like the Carmina's. Aldens is similar to a waxed CXL right?

1 person likes this.
  13. anrobit

Looks like they also tan it similarly to calf, but it appears to be actual kudu. Horween's Kudu is a waxed cxl, yes.

14. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

Wow. I can't wait to see these on boots. I think I might have to start setting some cash aside already.

15. andy b.

andy b. Well-Known Member

I emailed Kyle at Baker's to ask about some leather colors Nick's uses and what a custom build I was interested in might cost. Two colors he mentioned were natural CXL and Tan Teton. Well since I never heard of Tan Teton I did a quick search, and came across these:

http://zuriickusa.com/boot-style/merriman-tan-teton/

I know nothing about the company, but they seem to be doing some collaborations with Nick's, and one happens to be in Tan Teton. Anyone ever seen this leather in person? I'd be interested in how heavy-duty it is.

Andy B.

16. the shivman

the shivman Well-Known Member

what price did he quote you at for a custom Nicks boot?

17. b-ewing

Andy, great catch! Looks nearly identical to roughout natural cxl.

I am at a real pass at this point to which boots will be my next. One of Nick's new offerings; some 6" White's Bounty Hunters; or Wesco Packers on the MP last.... Maybe I should have an organ sell off and buy all three :D

18. anrobit

The tan teton is not a roughout leather, but the vamp leather used on that boot. Having seen and held a sample in person (courtesy of cathpah), it's not a very impressive leather. Very plasticky and kind of unpleasant.

I was much more impressed by Nick's natural chrome mexcel (note: that is not a typo, it's actually chrome mexcel) offerings and their burgundy and black aniline leathers. The chrome mexcel has some insane pullup qualities.

edit: brain fart

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  19. misterjuiceman

That's been my experience with all of Nick's standard-fare leathers.

I'm assuming you mean Nick's on the second paragraph. I thought Nick's was using Horween for natural CXL, and the leather formerly known as Mexcel from Seidel for the darker colors.

20. anrobit

It was a natural-ish brown. I don't remember what the colour was supposed to be, although I'm sure cathpah will chime in with the answer. The pull up was very light in comparison to the normal colour, and it was a great leather. More impressive than cxl, in my opinion.