• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

cathpah

Reaction score
Really nice! What was the final price for that makeup?

+1 plus the full wait time pls
wink.gif

BTW- That olive cxl is fuggin sick!

Price was $450 shipped, and it will be 23 weeks from initial payment as of tomorrow. I should stress that that wait was very likely from Nick's rather than Vermilyea Pelle, as Dustin (owner of VP) was great with communication and kept me updated throughout the process, including the time when the sole stitcher was out with foot or ankle surgery. From what I understand, Dustin did the heel and the edges, as well as choosing the leather/sole/etc in the initial mockup (of which I believe he did a full run). Mine were customized a bit via the matching tongue and the taller height (6" vs 5").

To get an idea of this leather, here is an album with my Rancourt beefrolls made out of the same leather (some when new, and some with some more wear showing just how great this leather can be). Truly a great color, and very versatile for a non-brown.

If these are as nice in-person as I hope, I think I'll be buying another pair in 8" in waxed flesh that Dustin has been working on.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
23 weeks, wow. I get MTO Edward Green's in less time. That's crazy

cathpah

Reaction score
23 weeks, wow. I get MTO Edward Green's in less time. That's crazy
True...but working firefighters are relying on these boots and it's summer here in Maine, so while I was certainly getting impatient, it's no biggie.

That said, if I decide I want to order that pair in waxed flesh, I'll be doing so very soon so that I can get them in time for next winter.

cathpah

Reaction score
They're here!

Album full of boots and ribs from today

They're beautiful. Everything I hoped. Craftsmanship is fantastic and they feel great on my feet. TThe welt stitching looks great aside from one uneven (long) stitch and one stitch at the end where the stitch looks a bit crushed...but both of those are purely aesthetics. The heel is substantial, but looks great when being worn, and they feel balanced on the feet (not falling forwards or backwards). I love how it's a leather stack all they way through because of the commando half sole, rather than my White's with the Vibram 430, which breaks up the leather stack on the heel (although it's a great sole, so it's well worth it).
They feel substantial, but are also very supple and flexible thanks to the fantastic leather. The leather (dark olive cxl) is beautiful, yet a good deal lighter in color than my dark olive cxl Rancourt beefroll loafers (custom makeup from Portland Dry Goods), which is pictured for comparison.
They came with a soft toe, which I wasn't totally expecting, but that's on me because I didn't discuss it with Dustin from Vermilyea Pelle...but I have no complaints, as I've wanted to try a soft toe for a while on a boot with this type of shape. Speaking of Dustin/Vermilyea Pelle, he is truly great to work with. Quick and thorough communication, exceedingly friendly, went the extra mile to customize these to my liking (6" and matching-ish tongue). Beyond that, when they took a lot longer than anticipated (23 weeks rather than 14, but apparently that's pretty standard for Nick's), he threw in a beautiful belt (horsehide roughout) for my patience. Truly a great guy and I look forward to working with him on future purchases. Dustin is also who did the heels and edge finishing, both of which are fantastic.

Let me know if you have any questions, as I'm sure I've left things out.

Neognosis

Reaction score
I don't put up with wait times that end up being nearly 2x longer than promised. That is an unacceptable way to do business.

If you can't make your promised delivery time, I want my money back.

Glad you are happy with your boots though, and at least they threw something your way to compensate you for your wait, but things like this disqualify Nick's from my consideration, I don't care how nice their boots are.

cathpah

Reaction score
I don't put up with wait times that end up being nearly 2x longer than promised. That is an unacceptable way to do business.

If you can't make your promised delivery time, I want my money back.

Glad you are happy with your boots though, and at least they threw something your way to compensate you for your wait, but things like this disqualify Nick's from my consideration, I don't care how nice their boots are.
In truth, it was actually Vermilyea Pelle that gave me that beautiful belt for my patience, and they weren't even the reason behind the long wait time. Huge thanks/props to Dustin at VP for treating me so well.

While the wait wasn't ideal, I own enough other boots that it wasn't a huge deal to me, and sometimes that whole "good things come to those who wait," thing is right. For me, this is one of those cases. Dark olive CXL is about my favorite leather out there, so to have it be used in a NW style boot was just too good to pass up. The boots are here now, so the wait no longer matters to me.

I'm far from an apologist for the company, but the boots look to have top notch construction and craftsmanship and I love the aesthetics, so I'll happily wait a bit longer for that if need be. Already thinking of ordering a second pair, but with more realistic expectations as to when I can expect to receive them.

Reaction score
In truth, it was actually Vermilyea Pelle that gave me that beautiful belt for my patience, and they weren't even the reason behind the long wait time. Huge thanks/props to Dustin at VP for treating me so well.

While the wait wasn't ideal, I own enough other boots that it wasn't a huge deal to me, and sometimes that whole "good things come to those who wait," thing is right. For me, this is one of those cases. Dark olive CXL is about my favorite leather out there, so to have it be used in a NW style boot was just too good to pass up. The boots are here now, so the wait no longer matters to me.

I'm far from an apologist for the company, but the boots look to have top notch construction and craftsmanship and I love the aesthetics, so I'll happily wait a bit longer for that if need be. Already thinking of ordering a second pair, but with more realistic expectations as to when I can expect to receive them.
Thanks for your kind words and your patience! I've been pushing pretty hard with Nicks to dial in their lead times. As a fellow manufacturer, I understand where their ambitious lead times are coming from. I will often underestimate my own lead time on new products, as I generally don't account for broken equipment, but invariably break something key to the manufacturing process on that piece. I think I may have thrown them for a loop in starting this 5"-6" casual, low heel work boot line. The casuals take double the pattern cutting time since they are leather lined and mostly hand cut...their work boots are thicker leather, but single thickness . I will for sure start telling people to expect them in the 20ish week lead time.

Maybe I will start picking up more shoe equipment to help them pick up the slack...Maybe.
Dustin

Nevada Pat

Reaction score
I have all the Big 3 and Little 1

Nicks **** The Best

Whites *** Former Best but more commercial now

Wesco Great Boots but less "Hi Arch Construction"

Hathorn Whites JV Team Nice but $100 less than the others, thinner leather, less stiches

And while in Sedona recently I found a Boot Shop in Cottonwood that sells all of them, The Cowboy Shop

Mostly WildFire or Packer boots but he measures and orders Semi Dress, and Nicks low boots

Great Service Good Prices and Custom Repairs too

I am going back when I have some spare $$$

andy b.

Reaction score
Why do you say Nick's is the best? I'm only asking because I have White's and Wesco, and really want a pair of Nick's.

Nevada Pat

Reaction score
Thicker Leather well worked

More attention to detail and craftsmanship, and they listen to customers and dealers

Less mass production

They feel like custom whites used too, 10+ years ago, some models ( Hot Shots) a little heavier

In the quality race, Nicks pulled even about 2005 and passed Whites in 2009

I hope they don't get too popular or overloaded and dilute the brand I was a great secret for a few years

Neognosis

Reaction score
I would say that thicker leather is not necessarily a better thing.

I will likely never see a pair of Nick's boots, and because I'm just an average guy who wears casual boots for daily wear, and a heavier pair for motorcycle riding.

I can't see myself waiting 12 weeks, or whatever Nick's wait time is, for boots that are way more than I'll need. If I was an actual smoke jumper, or welder, or machinist, I would place an order when I sensed my current boots were about 6 months out from a resole or something.

I think that's probably good news for you guys though, as I'm one average joe who won't be clogging up Nick's queue on you!

I would like to see more examples posted here, though.

ZenSilk

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to drop by to say that I am extremely pleasantly surprised by the quality of the "Mexcel" leather that Nick's uses for the boots I have. I have owned four pairs of Chromexcel shoes and boots as well as belts and bracelets and a wallet. The "Mexcel" has been standing up to everyday use just fantastically. I have been using these boots for everything from yardwork to replacing sprinkler heads, and they have seen quite a but of toe bending, water, mud, sticks, rocks and dog paws. With the more abrasive stuff on Chromexcel I really have a hard time getting it out, and the creases seem to always appear from the toe bending fairly quickly.

The Mexcel still has yet to show noticeable creasing and width stretch. This leather is hearty as all hell. These boots are very much still in the break-in period even after about a month of pretty hard everyday wear and use/abuse. The only show of wear is a scuff on the side of the toe from a very rough log I was cutting, this scuff was terrible, but after some cleaning/conditioning it has dulled; still visible, but not glaring.

TL;DR - Mexcel is tough as nails.

Disclaimer: I wipe down these boots after each day of use with warm water/cloth. Conditioning once a week, generally.

I'll try to get pics on an imgur album soon.

Neognosis

Reaction score
Conditioning once a week?

What
The
Heck?

Disclaimer: You can cover your boots in chocolate sauce daily, it's your money and your possession.

However... Come on, that's downright ridiculous.
Surely, this leather doesn't require conditioning more than 2x a year, even with daily work use.
It must be a complete **** tannage if it requires conditioning even once monthly with daily use.

ZenSilk

Reaction score
I guess I mean light conditioning? Not any LP, boot oil, or anything of the sort. This is brushing, very small amounts of AE condition/cleaner, a wipe off and a buff. 5 minutes of my time. Nothing in regards to replenishing oils or the sort. So I suppose I mean cleaning? Dirt, wet grass + water caking on your boots comes off with water and a rag. The extra couple of minutes with a quick rub down of an extremely light oil coating does wonders.

IME and YMMV, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads