• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

ZenSilk

Reaction score
Dammit, I was seriously hoping they'd be the normal stitchdown welt kind.

How do you think they compare to the fully welted stitchdown models from White's? I mean, they're about the same price, so the advantage for Nick's would ultimately boil down to craftsmanship and how much better Mexcel is than CXL.
I have not handled the Nicks's welted unfortunately. I also don't have a pair of White's or something similar to compare. All I have to compare to would be Redwing, 1k's and OSB. The boots are seriously more hearty than all three of those could ever dream to be.

The Mexcel is a bit odd new. It doesn't feel like Chromexcel does in the beginning. I would say Mexcel has more of a shine to it, almost too shiny out of the box. It doesn't have the waxyness.
After it's broken down and treated or oiled though it gets muted but retains it's Burgundy color, with so far gentle toe creasing that looks great. The mexcel and chromexcel feel pretty much the same after break in, but the Mexcel seems less prone to scuffs and scratching.

Nerkg

Reaction score
I disagree, the mexcel is waxier then cxl in my opinion, it's not waxy around the toe as much because when the boot is lasted it is stretched over the last and takes the wax feel away from that part, the reason people like nicks including me is the craftsmanship is better than whites, and don't Believe the horween hype, yes it's good leather but there's as good and better leather out there. Horween is so blown up by people who listen to people who listen to hype on these sites. Ex death , what did you mean normal stitchdown welt kind? That's two kinds of construction, stitchdown is stitchdown welted is welted. I've owned many boots. I prefer stitchdown over Goodyear welted or Norwegian welt, the insole retains a flat surface and they are totally re-craftable. As are welted ones, but I don't like the cup that welted boots feel under your foot. Well other than oakstreet trench boots, they fit great.

Exdeath

Reaction score
I meant the normal welted construction that White's et al. use vs. the modified Blake/Rapid of Contenders.

Nerkg

Reaction score
Now I'm really confused, whites uses stitch down, nicks contender uses stitch down, (McKay)neither uses a welt, other than on a few rarer styles. certainly neither uses Blake rapid. Not being a dick, just really trying to see what you mean

Exdeath

Reaction score
White's Boots thread:

Quote:

Quote:
Nick's Boots thread:
Quote:
F.Y.I.

Last edited:

Nerkg

Reaction score
Yea, you are correct but that first post is off, a welt is nothing to do with the nicks or viberg stitch down construction. I've taken apart a bunch of pairs. Either way, no point arguing. Whites is the worst imo out of all brands mentioned .

ZenSilk

Reaction score
I disagree, the mexcel is waxier then cxl in my opinion, it's not waxy around the toe as much because when the boot is lasted it is stretched over the last and takes the wax feel away from that part, the reason people like nicks including me is the craftsmanship is better than whites, and don't Believe the horween hype, yes it's good leather but there's as good and better leather out there. Horween is so blown up by people who listen to people who listen to hype on these sites. Ex death , what did you mean normal stitchdown welt kind? That's two kinds of construction, stitchdown is stitchdown welted is welted. I've owned many boots. I prefer stitchdown over Goodyear welted or Norwegian welt, the insole retains a flat surface and they are totally re-craftable. As are welted ones, but I don't like the cup that welted boots feel under your foot. Well other than oakstreet trench boots, they fit great.
I do like the Mexcel better than the chromexcel on my other footwear. I love the feel of the leather after some wear, and I really like how it doesn't take on scratches and such so obviously.

JVAV

Reaction score
@ZenSilk, did you see the tan boots with the white sole? Is that an example where you feel the leather is not as nice? Sorry if I missed it but what size did you end up getting?

ZenSilk

Reaction score
@ZenSilk, did you see the tan boots with the white sole? Is that an example where you feel the leather is not as nice? Sorry if I missed it but what size did you end up getting?
I did see those, I had a peek at all of them. The leather on those Merriman Tan was my least favorite. It felt almost plasticky. That is not to speak of the actual leather quality, however.

The Norman and William were my favorite, they just look amazing. They are very tall on the ankle though, just not my thing.

The leather on the Jasper is probably the most interesting, the bull hide is so extremely thick and stiff. It's a very odd color, like grey but more like dull silver. The manager there has a pair and is trying his damndest to break those bad boys in.

I have a fresh pair of the William Burgundy, I have them in an 8.5. A 9 fit fine everywhere besides the Arch Support system, which was too far forward. I switched down a size to a 8.5 and it feels much better. The arch system is going to take some getting used to, if my feet ever will be able to. With this fresh pair the arch will break in along with the rest of the boot so the fit should be great.

JVAV

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I like the look of the tan leather but hate hearing the plasticky desription. The burgendy williams look nice, keep us updated on how they're breaking in.

the shivman

Reaction score
New site looks better. The Manito oxford shoe's at $229 are intriguing.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look a little odd to me. Don't like the combo of the stitching and heel. Could be a bad pic tho.

cathpah

Reaction score
They're done! Dustin (at Vermilyea Pelle) just sent me this quick instagram photo of my boots this morning. Still waiting for an edge dressing, but they should ship today. Can't wait to put these through their paces soon.

The wait from Nick's sucked, but Dustin was great to work with and prompt with communication...and the boots look beautiful.

(dark olive CXL, matching tongue, commando half-sole, lowered 1/4" block heel, 6" height)

misterjuiceman

Reaction score

They're done! Dustin (at Vermilyea Pelle) just sent me this quick instagram photo of my boots this morning. Still waiting for an edge dressing, but they should ship today. Can't wait to put these through their paces soon. The wait from Nick's sucked, but Dustin was great to work with and prompt with communication...and the boots look beautiful. (dark olive CXL, matching tongue, commando half-sole, lowered 1/4" block heel, 6" height)
These look so much better with a 6" shaft versus what was on the website before. Very nice. Looking forward to some pictures and your thoughts.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really nice! What was the final price for that makeup?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads