• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York Trip

Reaction score
I'm headed to the big city on friday and I was hoping to pick some cool stuff. In particular i'm looking for cyc hoodies (w/h, spruce, reigning champ) anyone know of any stocklists. I've got all the maps from superfuture printed out i think i'm going to be spending a lot of time in Soho.

i'm staying the battery park area so i'll be spending most my time down/mid town. Anyone have some cool spots(food/clothes/drink) to hit up for a first timer?

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RRL, eleven, unis, INA, Blue in green, nom de guerre, john varvatos, uniqlo, muji, Opening ceremony, 45rpm and APC are all walking distance from each other and that's generally my shopping itinerary whenever i do a soho shopcrawl.. Eat at katz, sohopark, bread, anywhere in chinatown, or one of the cheap places in LES.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
RRL, eleven, unis, INA, Blue in green, nom de guerre, john varvatos, uniqlo, muji, Opening ceremony, 45rpm and APC are all walking distance from each other and that's generally my shopping itinerary whenever i do a soho shopcrawl.. Eat at katz, sohopark, bread, anywhere in chinatown, or one of the cheap places in LES.
RRL is good, but hardly worth the money. eleven - what's this? Do you mean Seven on Mercer? If so, yes, by all means check it out. Seven is a great store. INA I'd definitely skip. It's way overpriced, used designer clothing. Blue In Green - definitely check out. NDG - check it out John Varvatos you can definitely skip. Within the overflow of merch that makes it to Filene's Basement, et. al, does anyone pay retail for this? Uniqlo is a friggin zoo and it's sort of like a glorified GAP, but more wearable. If you need cheap basics, worth checking, but know what it is and know that it's like walking through Times Square (which i also recommend avoiding). Muji - what's with the hype? This place sucks and it's NOT cheap. Opening Ceremony - def. worth checking out. 45 RPM - great store. APC - worth checking out, though I'd be wary of any of the finer fabric products (wools, cashmeres, etc.). Anything made of cotton is usually quality. Not listed, but I also recommend checking out: Atelier - quite possibly the best store in NYC Odin - they now have an outpost on Lafayette, putting it right with all those other stores. Century 21 - especially considering where you're staying, no sense in not checking it out. Go upstairs, that's where the good stuff is. Marni - their men's selection is tiny, and stuff is very pricey, but it's some of the best stuff you can find (larger selection available at the dept stores, Barney, Bergdorf, etc.) Jil Sander - unfortunately, you'll have to trek way up town for this since their Howard street store is still a ways off. Famous Friends in the E. Village (though this'll take you quite out of the way). Costume National on Wooster - it is what it is. Paul Smith - it is what it is. And if you've got the time and the $, I definitely hit up those previously mentioned dept. stores. And as far as food, i'll have to disagree re: Bread. If you're into posh Mexican, Mexican Radio on Cleveland Place, just off Lafayette, is really good, as is La Esquina (across the street). Have fun. Dan

Reaction score
thanks for all the suggestions. Blue in green 45 rpm uniqulo apc and the likes were pretty much on my list for stops already. From some searches other people on the forum seem to like blue ribbon is soho. Anyone know what kind of food it is? NY mag says they have the best fried chicken, but they also serve sushi. Whats the deal?

Dynamo

Reaction score
Blue ribbon has several restaurants.. they have a typical american style resaurant, as well as a Sushi restaurant. They are all fairly close together.

If you're going to be in Soho.. you should definitely stop by Atelier.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've got 2 morefor the list:

Bloomingdales Soho: on Broadway, has a decent designer collection and easily the most accessible men's room in the neighborhood

Tokyo 7: designer consignment shop on East 7th street between 1st and 2nd Ave. Can be a little hit-and-miss, but the prices are generally good and I've picked up nice pieces there in the past. A lot of account exec's and buyers unload their like-new samples there.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Bloomingdales Soho: on Broadway, has a decent designer collection and easily the most accessible men's room in the neighborhood

So very, very true.

bant

Reaction score
blue ribbon is good stuff. they have a very random, eclectic menu and it's all good. they also have a dedicated sushi restaurant & 'bakery' which are both great as well.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what the weather is going to be like this week in NY? I'm going to be there Tues/Wed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads