• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Years Eve help . . . Please!

buckyd

Reaction score
671BF9D3-FBBD-4656-9438-9EE50433DB96.jpeg
66BFF36A-47AD-464C-BA76-F7A3ADF4B344.jpeg

2 choices.

So . . . I think I’m wearing everything in the enclosed photo (plaid jacket, blue tuxedo pants & black tuxedo shoes) with the exception of the blue tie. I’ll be wearing a bow tie. Here’s my question:

Would a black butterfly bow tie go with this? I have a black diamond tip one as well. I also have a black velvet one. None of these, however, match the dark blue velvet lapel. Is that a major no-no? I do have a blue herringbone bow tie that I could use as a last resort.

My back-up outfit is a white jacket, red velvet bow tie, black tuxedo pants (see other photo). Is wearing white this time of year a major no-no?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Since that tartan jacket is so ‘out there’, I wouldn’t worry too much about how much within cannon your accessories are. That ship has sailed! Is it too late to go shopping for an velvet bow that would match your lapels?

2. I wouldn’t wear white if you’re in Virginia. I’m in Florida and it’s a bit nippy here this week (all relative of course) so I’ll be wearing my black dinner jacket.

Corollary: if my choice was between white, even in frigid Virginia in December, and that tartan thing I’d be wearing white but that’s just me!

dunivan

Reaction score
From what I’ve learned here, go white. The idea isn’t to stick out because of what you wear, but how you wore it.

If it has to be the striped jacket, I don’t think you do yourself a favor by not matching the navy in the jacket.

notdos

Reaction score
Actually, I’d rock the plaid jacket, but only if I had a blue tie to match. Can’t run out today and get one?
Have fun !

Phillip :)

buckyd

Reaction score
I’ll be wearing my black dinner jacket

You’ve convinced me . . . I’ll be wearing black as well. I have a black velvet Gagliardi dinner jacket to which I’ll add all the usual suspects plus a black butterfly velvet bow tie to top it off or maybe be just a black silk bow tie.

I know you weren’t crazy about the tartan jacket, and though I do have the long blue tie as shown in the photo, I’m holding off wearing it until I get the proper velvet navy bow tie. I just ordered it.

And you’re right . . . it’s too cold here to sport the white jacket!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. Happy New Year!

buckyd

Reaction score
Actually, I’d rock the plaid jacket, but only if I had a blue tie to match. Can’t run out today and get one?
Have fun !

Phillip :)
I started calling around town yesteday for a velvet navy bow tie with no luck. I do have the long blue tie as shown in the photo but I really have my heart set on wearing a bow tie so I’ll order one and save the whole ensemble for next year. Wait . . . I do have a blue herringbone blue bow tie but it’s not velvet. Hmmmm . . .

Funny, Thin White Duke wasn’t crazy about this jacket and yet when I picked it up up from my tailor he mentioned that he received over 10 inquiries as to where it could be purchased. Go figure. Maybe it’s a Southern thing!
Anyway, I’m glad you like it.

Happy New Year!

buckyd

Reaction score
EC3A5F9F-8AF6-49AE-AB97-2E4C804A9260.jpeg
From what I’ve learned here, go white. The idea isn’t to stick out because of what you wear, but how you wore it.

If it has to be the striped jacket, I don’t think you do yourself a favor by not matching the navy in the jacket.

Thanks for the advice!

I’m passing on the white as it’s just too cold here in VA to wear it - pretty sure I’m heading towards my black velvet dinner jacket.

In regards to the tartan jacket . . . I do have the long blue tie shown in the original photo. However, I really want to wear a bow tie and the only one I have right now is in herringbone (photo enclosed). It’s not velvet but would it work?

Last edited:

dunivan

Reaction score
I think that’d look fine. Never have been a fan of a velvet bow tie though. Try it all on and see!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag