• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New overcoat commission - What colour?

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
LOL at the bald guy trying to be a model. FAIL.
Who the hell would take photos of Luca Rubinacci!

facepalm.gif

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A camel polo coat (such as the one pictured in the OP) is traditional even with black tie, at least in the US. I have a RTW one from O'Connels (with peak lapels, which isn't ideal) and wear it with everything despite the fact that I've got other overcoats (loden, navy, large herringbone). I wouldn't buy it again because the cloth isn't great, but still.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wouldn't black be a better choice for a first overcoat?

Have been in the tailoring business over 40 years and can only remember making 2 black cashmere topcoats over that time span. Not very popular with my clientele.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a medium gray overcoat, and absolutely love it. It's not a common color in an overcoat for some reason, but it really works quite well. If you think camel might be a bit too much, but you don't want something as droll and boring as charcoal or navy, that could be an option. Or a light gray. Or an olive. Or brown.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you go with navy, charcoal or black, change the styling of the coat. If you like the styling of the coat in your picture, don't do it in navy, charcoal or black.

Xenon

Reaction score

Have been in the tailoring business over 40 years and can only remember making 2 black cashmere topcoats over that time span. Not very popular with my clientele.

Really! Wow black cashmere can look so deep and lustrous almost like mink! My black cashmere is definitly a little more lustrous than my navy one. Both from the same H&S cloth bunch. Just a fluke?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to get rid of my last navy overcoat about a year or two ago; can't remember exactly when. In the winter(s) between, it was very noticeable by its absence. I can't remember an item of clothing that I've missed more. I have other useful (and not so useful) colours - chocolate brown solid, mid-grey solid, two different brown plaids - but kept wishing I still had the navy option. With suits especially, navy works so much better than any other colour IMO. I recently bought a navy cashmere overcoat to fill the gap. Probably overpaid, but sod it, it's rare to find one in a size & style that I like and it wasn't more expensive than getting one MTM, so...

Having said that, I don't think it's possible to have one overcoat that works with all of the different styles the OP wants. Either the colour or the style will be off. The overcoat in the photo is inherently quite casual/sporty, and takes to a similar fabric, like camel. Despos has gone into a lot of detail upthread about this; listen to him.

The closest I've seen to a universal coat is the (IIRC) Ich Dien's martingala-styled navy coat. It's just about funky and informal enough for sporty/casual looks, certainly fine for odd jackets, and just about dark and sober enough for casual-ish suits. It wouldn't work with a very Citified suited look, but it's still pretty versatile in style & colour.

Last edited:

GucciKid

Reaction score
I would go with Navy or Charcoal. Both more versatile than tan, though I do like tan for the daytime.

Also, depending on your budget I'm not sure I would go with MyTailor. I've only ever ordered shirts from them, but I did find the quality fairly poor.

A good overcoat should last you a long time, it's an investment piece, so I would explore your options (mtm or bespoke in toronto perhaps) or higher end RTW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics