• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Second overcoat: navy or camel?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not saying the statement is wrong. Simply offering my opinion. If I misread or misunderstood the statement, then I'll stand aside.
I don't share that view. I think tan coats are fine over dark suits. There are some shades of tan overcoating, however, there can be difficult to wear in general.

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
I don't share that view. I think tan coats are fine over dark suits. There are some shades of tan overcoating, however, there can be difficult to wear in general.
As do I, and I believe that's the point I was trying to make.

The OP already has a gray herringbone coat. As to which coat should be the next, as he already has a dark one, I think the camel coat will give more flexibility and can be worn casually as well with more formal business attire.

Navy is fine too, but it would seem a bit redundant in this case.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As do I, and I believe that's the point I was trying to make.

The OP already has a gray herringbone coat. As to which coat should be the next, as he already has a dark one, I think the camel coat will give more flexibility and can be worn casually as well with more formal business attire.

Navy is fine too, but it would seem a bit redundant in this case.
I don't think it's useful to think of coat colors like this. I think you should think of the overall design. As I said earlier, the coat's color should go hand-in-hand with the rest of the coat's design, it's not like you can easily swap out colors like this. Depending on the coat's overall design, the navy one may be more useful for someone's lifestyle. It just depends on their intended usage.

classicalthunde

Reaction score
I've always liked this Tailor Caid herringbone overcoat, and think its fairly versatile if you already have a conservative business dress overcoat.

If you have a tailor who can recreate something like this, I think there are some Magee Donegal Tweeds that come pretty close. I've been contemplating something similar as a 'jack of all trades' coat to complement a black topcoat, but i would opt for slash pockets instead of flap

Tailor CAID coat 3 (1).jpg

Tailor CAID coat 4 (1).jpg

Tailor CAID coat 2 (1).jpg

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Just to be clear, i think that tan coats can look great on a dark suit, too.
I just think that if someone is wearing an overcoat (over a suit) day-in, day-out for 2-3 months, a tan coat, being more easily soiled and more stand-out, would be my 3rd or 4th coat (assuming one owns so many).

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I've always liked this Tailor Caid herringbone overcoat, and think its fairly versatile if you already have a conservative business dress overcoat.

If you have a tailor who can recreate something like this, I think there are some Magee Donegal Tweeds that come pretty close. I've been contemplating something similar as a 'jack of all trades' coat to complement a black topcoat, but i would opt for slash pockets instead of flap

View attachment 1393137
Exactly what I was thinking about.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am partial to Raglan sleeves on a tweed coat. Most Raglans come
with a Balmacaan collar. One seldom sees these sleeves on a button
through coat except on Winston Churchill:
winston-churchill-1940-C45H2Y.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.