• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 28, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

calmwinds

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a graduate student and I am looking for White shirts to go with Navy blue suit for the coming career fair. I am a novice in quality of shirts which go with the suit.

I have seen some guys wearing a white plus creamy color shirt. I am not sure what it is called and hence having trouble searching for it. These shirts are usually wrinkle free from what I have observed and it helps when you have to wear it for the whole day.

Can anyone point me to stores online which offers these shirts ?

My budget would be at max $100.

Thanks

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello Everyone,

I am a graduate student and I am looking for White shirts to go with Navy blue suit for the coming career fair. I am a novice in quality of shirts which go with the suit. 

I have seen some guys wearing a white plus creamy color shirt. I am not sure what it is called and hence having trouble searching for it. These shirts are usually wrinkle free from what I have observed and it helps when you have to wear it for the whole day. 

Can anyone point me to stores online which offers these shirts ?

My budget would be at max $100. 

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, calmwibds. You don't need non-iron shirts to look good. The fabric quality in those shorts isn't great because they are treated with chemicals to make them "wrinkle free"...although they aren't and you still need to iron them. Check out Brooks Brothers. They are having their semi-annual sale right now so you should be able to pick up a nice white shirt at a good price.

jvee

Reaction score
Hi forum,

I'm a 2nd year law student planning to work in big law (Bay Area or NYC) and trying to build a wardrobe.

Currently I have two suits. One is an old and ill-fitting gray one from MW and the other is a navy 1818 Fitzgerald fit from BB. I plan to swap out the old gray suit for another 1818 next time they're on sale.

I'd like to purchase at least 1 if not 2 more suits before this summer but I'm not sure where to go. I'm looking to spend about $600/suit. I recently checked out SS and was happy with the Napoli jacket fit but my intuition is that the pants (7.4" leg opening) are just too slim for a conservative law firm. The store said there is not enough fabric at the seams to widen the leg opening.

Although I know a lot of firms now are less formal, I'd still prefer to purchase a few more suits before stocking up on sport coats and odd trousers as I think in my situation a decent rotation of conservative suits will serve me better at this point.

I'm also looking to purchase a few higher quality dress shirts. I'm only 5'6" and the only dress shirts I've found so far with short enough sleeves are from JAB, but the shoulders are enormous. I've just dealt with this previously as I wear a jacket over anyway but at this point I'm willing to spend a bit more for something better fitting that will last me. I'm considering a couple white and blue wrinkle free pinpoint shirts from Proper Cloth at $95 apiece.

I would be grateful for any input.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi forum,

I'm a 2nd year law student planning to work in big law (Bay Area or NYC) and trying to build a wardrobe.

Currently I have two suits. One is an old and ill-fitting gray one from MW and the other is a navy 1818 Fitzgerald fit from BB. I plan to swap out the old gray suit for another 1818 next time they're on sale.

I'd like to purchase at least 1 if not 2 more suits before this summer but I'm not sure where to go. I'm looking to spend about $600/suit. I recently checked out SS and was happy with the Napoli jacket fit but my intuition is that the pants (7.4" leg opening) are just too slim for a conservative law firm. The store said there is not enough fabric at the seams to widen the leg opening.

Although I know a lot of firms now are less formal, I'd still prefer to purchase a few more suits before stocking up on sport coats and odd trousers as I think in my situation a decent rotation of conservative suits will serve me better at this point.

I'm also looking to purchase a few higher quality dress shirts. I'm only 5'6" and the only dress shirts I've found so far with short enough sleeves are from JAB, but the shoulders are enormous. I've just dealt with this previously as I wear a jacket over anyway but at this point I'm willing to spend a bit more for something better fitting that will last me. I'm considering a couple white and blue wrinkle free pinpoint shirts from Proper Cloth at $95 apiece.

I would be grateful for any input.

Welcome to the forum @jvee . I would either give SS a shot at widening the leg opening or just stick with Brooks if you like the way they fit. You can ask SS how much seam allowance they have in the lower leg and then decide if they will be wide enough for you. I would be happy if they could give you another quarter inch of so.

Proper Cloth makes most of my shirts these days so I highly recommend you giving them a shot. Don't think that you need wrinkle free fabrics...plenty that aren't look great all day and feel much better. Best of luck.

jvee

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome @Murlsquirl

I was told that the SS trousers have 1/4" of fabric on either side. Do you think it would be feasible for reduce each side to 1/8", widening the leg by 1/4" total?

And second, concerning the BB Fitzergald suits, they seem to have a relatively limited selection. I definitely would like to have a charcoal and navy, but after that my options seem to be charcoal or navy pinstripe or black. The first two seem too flashy and the last too occasion-specific. Does that seem right? For reference: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzgerald-Fit-Two-Button-1818-Suit/212K,default,pd.html

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the welcome @Murlsquirl

I was told that the SS trousers have 1/4" of fabric on either side. Do you think it would be feasible for reduce each side to 1/8", widening the leg by 1/4" total?

And second, concerning the BB Fitzergald suits, they seem to have a relatively limited selection. I definitely would like to have a charcoal and navy, but after that my options seem to be charcoal or navy pinstripe or black. The first two seem too flashy and the last too occasion-specific. Does that seem right? For reference: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzgerald-Fit-Two-Button-1818-Suit/212K,default,pd.html

Yes, I think that is doable.

A pinstripe would definitely not be the third suit in my wardrobe and black the last. Have you tried on any of the BB cuts? If any of the others work then you'll have more options.

Clarence102

Reaction score
Good evening (19.38 GMT),

I am new to the forum, and looking for advice on attire for my wedding in NYC in early April.[ATTACHMENT=12348]image.png (2,092k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT]. My intention had been to wear the attached Oliver Brown double-breasted suit with a white poplin shirt (regular collar) and a drake's silver woven large knot grenadine tie. I had simply intended wearing a pair of my black Oxfords with this ensemble. However, I wonder if I am being overly conservative in my choice of footwear?

I would appreciate any advice on the footwear (and my choice of attire) from members of the forum.

With thanks in advance

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good evening (19.38 GMT),

I am new to the forum, and looking for advice on attire for my wedding in NYC in early April.[ATTACHMENT=12348]image.png (2,092k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT]. My intention had been to wear the attached Oliver Brown double-breasted suit with a white poplin shirt (regular collar) and a drake's silver woven large knot grenadine tie. I had simply intended wearing a pair of my black Oxfords with this ensemble. However, I wonder if I am being overly conservative in my choice of footwear?

I would appreciate any advice on the footwear (and my choice of attire) from members of the forum.

With thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, @Clarence102. Black oxfords would be my first choice as nothing will look better. If you want more wedding specific advice, you can ask here http://www.styleforum.net/t/329568/official-wedding-attire-question-answer-picture-thread.

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

My name is "Le beau parleur" and I'm French. I subscribed to this forum to learn more about English and American styles because I want to have a different style than the Parisian one. I am 36 years old, I love brown and navy bleu colors (and I love mixing them), I don't like white, and I don't like black so no black suits or shoes. I also don't wear jeans. I am confortable in buisness, casual buisness, casual, and sport cloths. I am ready replace all my items except for my c-class and my (metal and leather brown) TAGs. I already ordered online AE Ascher in Bourbon and AE Lasalle in Chili, I hope it's a good start. So any suggestions?

Ps I don't have an unlimitied budget, so please take that into account, lol.

Thanks.

recruiter

Reaction score
1. What is a good leg opening size for dress pants? I'm in the market for a new wardrobe and most of my pants are the full leg with lots of fabric and at least 9+ inches across. Does it pertain to my height and waist size?

2. Is it possible for a tailor to taper my current pants to the size you suggest or would you recommend starting over with MTM pants. I have a few pair now that I really like but just out of style with too much material and larger leg openings.

3. What shirt collar would you suggest I get for a shirt that would be worn with a tie but could also look good without a tie and under a sports coat?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

1.  What is a good leg opening size for dress pants?  I'm in the market for a new wardrobe and most of my pants are the full leg with lots of fabric and at least 9+ inches across.  Does it pertain to my height and waist size?

2.  Is it possible for a tailor to taper my current pants to the size you suggest or would you recommend starting over with MTM pants.  I have a few pair now that I really like but just out of style with too much material and larger leg openings.

3.  What shirt collar would you suggest I get for a shirt that would be worn with a tie but could also look good without a tie and under a sports coat?

Welcome to the forum @recruiter. Your body type does matter but it's mostly a matter of personal preference...9"+ is a bit wide.

A good tailor should be able to taper your what you have. I would definitely give it a shot with a pair before you invest in MTM, especially if you like what you have.

A semi-spread/spread works great with ties and without. Just be aware that every makers version will vary.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

My name is "Le beau parleur" and I'm French. I subscribed to this forum to learn more about English and American styles because I want to have a different style than the Parisian one. I am 36 years old, I love brown and navy bleu colors (and I love mixing them), I don't like white, and I don't like black so no black suits or shoes. I also don't wear jeans. I am confortable in buisness, casual buisness, casual, and sport cloths. I am ready replace all my items except for my c-class and my (metal and leather brown) TAGs. I already ordered online AE Ascher in Bourbon and AE Lasalle in Chili, I hope it's a good start. So any suggestions?

Ps I don't have an unlimitied budget, so please take that into account, lol.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, @Le beau parleur . The AEs you ordered are a good start. When/if you want to bump up a notch in quality, give Carmina or Crockett and Jones a look. Best of luck.

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum, @Le beau parleur
.  The AEs you ordered are a good start.  When/if you want to bump up a notch in quality, give Carmina or Crockett and Jones a look.  Best of luck.

You are right, they are probably an upgrade, but Carmina is Spanish and C&J is very popular in France even tho it is British. What about the cloths? Do you have any suggestions? Do you have some examples of the casual chic American style?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads