• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New C&J catalogue due?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're misinformed because Shyam's stock catalog does not include everything in the retail catalog. Compare them sometime.

citoyen

Reaction score
there are 3 catalogs.

"Mail Order" Catalog for customers willing to order directly at the C&J store in London. Here you can find some more and different models than the ones in the stock catalog, e.g. the EXMOOR, a snuff suede dainite soled 360° welted shoe on the 348 last.
"Stock Catalog" for C&J retailers with fewer models than the other two catalogs. all models MENTIONED (this is not PICTURED) in this catalog can be ordered by retailers and/or their customers.

Then there is a catalog i dont know by name, it is the one where the authorized retailers can put special orders together but then i have only seen it once.

As i know plal has the stock catalog.

ANY SHOE (even the french ones) can be ordered from the London C&J Headquarter. I know because i asked them specifically about this. But then you gotta pay.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
You're misinformed because Shyam's stock catalog does not include everything in the retail catalog. Compare them sometime.

I have, albeit not recently. Iirc, the only noticeable difference was the layout. Again I apoligize if I inadvertently missed a shoe when comparing the 2 catalogs. I'll ask you a question then: since I gather you have compared the 2 catalogs in the past, what's your estimate as to availability of shoes from P.Lal's catalog vs our retail ones? Don't need to go into specific styles/models, just a figure. 80%? 90%?...

As for my offer of my spare 2008-2009 catalog: now also open to any other member, as long as he's willing to scan and post it for the benefit of others afterwards.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My estimate is 90% of the retail catalog, but that is just a guess; it's been over a year since I've compared them. The excluded ones tend to be the newest models, since those filter down over the course of a couple of seasons. So a year that sees a larger number of introductions will have a higher percentage unavailable from Plal and the like.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Cool. Again, my apologies to all if I have, in any way, nurtured false hopes that the 351 and 358 lasted shoes in my/our 2008-2009 catalog will all be available from P. Lal. And grimslade, your observation is the sort of argument I can welcome. Now about those KG/EG Chelseas in Navy...
devil.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Now about those KG/EG Chelseas in Navy...
devil.gif

I have no idea what you're talking about.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wes, it's a confusing matter with C&J offering several different catalogs. I did not intend for my attack to be personal, and I hope you did not take it that way. I just wanted to set the record straight for what we can expect as far as offerings from Plal.

The only experience I have in comparing the 2 are my mail order catalog ordered from C&J's website versus Plal's stock catalog on his website (both for "2007-2008"). My mail order catalog offered a greater selection in comparison to Plals. I would venture to geuss that Plals offerings are more like 75-85% of the full mail order catalog.

I hope some more 348 lasted offerings in addition to the 358, 360, etc offerings filter they way into this years Stock Catalog. We'll know soon enough.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Wes, it's a confusing matter with C&J offering several different catalogs. I did not intend for my attack to be personal, and I hope you did not take it that way. I just wanted to set the record straight for what we can expect as far as offerings from Plal.
cheers.gif

The only experience I have in comparing the 2 are my mail order catalog ordered from C&J's website versus Plal's stock catalog on his website (both for "2007-2008"). My mail order catalog offered a greater selection in comparison to Plals. I would venture to geuss that Plals offerings are more like 75-85% of the full mail order catalog.

I might not have been paying close (enough) attention last time I compared the two, instead concentrating only on more familiar models/styles...My bad.

I hope some more 348 lasted offerings in addition to the 358, 360, etc offerings filter they way into this years Stock Catalog.

Amen.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
wes, what is that shoe on top?

Dunno, jjl5000 originally posted that pic in another thread. All I can say is: WOW!

foto010101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by citoyen
there are 3 catalogs. "Mail Order" Catalog for customers willing to order directly at the C&J store in London. Here you can find some more and different models than the ones in the stock catalog, e.g. the EXMOOR, a snuff suede dainite soled 360° welted shoe on the 348 last. "Stock Catalog" for C&J retailers with fewer models than the other two catalogs. all models MENTIONED (this is not PICTURED) in this catalog can be ordered by retailers and/or their customers. Then there is a catalog i dont know by name, it is the one where the authorized retailers can put special orders together but then i have only seen it once. As i know plal has the stock catalog. ANY SHOE (even the french ones) can be ordered from the London C&J Headquarter. I know because i asked them specifically about this. But then you gotta pay.
This is correct.

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sergun
So sad. Their new lasts are ugly, feminine and look like Italian hack.
confused.gif

What happened with a classic round toe?

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
The 358 last looks ok; it's unfortunate that the Barnes is on the 351 which appears too pointy for my tastes. Nonetheless, look forward to someone posting actual pics of newly acquired shoes in either last.

Ask and you shall receive: Waterford on the 358 last (I think it's a French model; I bought it in Jermyn Street during the summer sales, but it was the only pair they'd ever seen). I respectfully disagree with your assessment, sergun...

library3821wk7.jpg

library3779rg3.jpg

library3772cp8.jpg

library3763zh6.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
literasyme, nice Waterford, tks for posting pics. Looks like a wingtip version of the 358 Selborne semi brogue in my catalog. Seriously though, for all the crap AE gets for their ****** product pics, C&J's catalog pics aren't much better at depicting the shoes in a flattering way.

Not sold on the 358 yet, but those pink socks are awesome!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads