• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New brand: Zachary Prell shirts

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got this today on Thrilllist, a lifestyle listserv: ---------------------------------------------------------- It's bad enough you're forced to wear button-downs to work, but adding insult to injury are their annoyingly unnecessary structural defects -- it's like sitting in an electric chair that also smells bad. For an obsessively achieved solution, try just-launched clothier Zachary Prell. ZP was founded by an ex-Wall Streeter who spent three years creating his ultimate office shirt (including one year scouring mills around the world for fabric soft enough for hard-working men). The result's a shirt free of the odd button spacing, bunching, and other imperfections that can make wearing even a high-end label a nagging hell. The details: Tuck: can wear in or out -- or both at once, for the faux-unkempt look (the shirtish equivalent of premeditated bedhead) Fit: falls comfortably between Euro-thin and American-boxy/moderately obese Cuffs: fit over even the most enormous watch Collar: works with or without tie (and because only a freak would horde collar stays, a new pair's provided w/ each shirt) And most importantly Button placement: You won't experience carotid constriction while wearing a tie, and undoing the top button won't expose so much chest hair that people assume you were bitten by a Barry Gibb-wolf. ZP's do carry one subtly distinguishing bit of flava: piping running down each side-seam, sewn from Italian silk satin and available in colors that either match or contrast the shirt. The piping's not ostentatious -- it's just an aesthetic reminder that, while they can force you into a collared shirt, they can't force you into one that sucks. These shirts aren't in stores yet. To see them in person, email [email protected] Thrillist editorial - favorable reviews cannot be bought. --------------------------------------------------------- Went to website, http://zacharyprell.com/ Shirt is combo of nice things and gimmicks. Nice: French seams, spread collar, shorter tails, MOP buttons, Helmut-Lang-style upper chest button placement, fabrics in some deep colors. Not nice: Limited sizing [S/M/L/XL], unspecified 'overseas' manufacture, no other collar options, giant cuffs for 'look at me' wristwatches. Neither: Piping on side seams for visual trademark. Price on website is 165. Target market seems to be vaguely fashion minded traders such as Prell used to be. What do you think?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weird quirks notwithstanding, his concept is exactly what I would not want in a shirt -- I want the European slimness, the properly proportioned cuffs, and sizing that does not attempt to be all things to all people. (In fact, I suspect that many men find their shirts not comfortable because they buy the incorrect size for their bodies.) I would send $165.00 Carl's way far more quickly and get a shirt that actually fits. I can live without the satin gimmick.

zacharyprell

Reaction score
I am not Zachary Prell, but I am Zachary Prell... Of course I am the real Zachary Prell.
worship.gif

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The piping is just silly. It's like that obnoxious green button hole on Tommy Hilfiger stuff, even if the green clashes with the fabric.

And they are totally stretching if they are trying to call collar stays a "feature". That's like telling me my pants will have belt-loops.

+1 on the opinion that limited sizes (s/m/l/xl) is a negative. if they are dress shirts, they shoudl be appropriately sized (neck/sleeve)

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharyprell
how would you like to live your life and people ask if you are related to Prell Shampoo and now go into the second part of your life with people asking if I am "the real Zachary Prell"?

Something makes me think you won't have to worry about this.

HelloMrFancyPants

Reaction score
The review says it took Mr. Prell three years to design the perfect dress shirt. I'd wager that fifteen minutes of forum-lurking could find you a better shirt for $165, at least that was the case for me.

Perhaps his strategy as a designer was more inspired, though, like watching all the Bacardi commercials on CNBC for three years until a shirt with non-diagonal stripes was shown. "A-HA!", says he, "Finally, the perfect shirt to go with those Kenneth Cole hedge fund loafers!"

zacharyprell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloMrFancyPants
The review says it took Mr. Prell three years to design the perfect dress shirt. I'd wager that fifteen minutes of forum-lurking could find you a better shirt for $165, at least that was the case for me.

Perhaps his strategy as a designer was more inspired, though, like watching all the Bacardi commercials on CNBC for three years until a shirt with non-diagonal stripes was shown. "A-HA!", says he, "Finally, the perfect shirt to go with those Kenneth Cole hedge fund loafers!"

HE WAS A INVESTMENT BANKER ON WALL STREET. I KNOW ZACHARY PRELL AND THE ZACHARY PRELL THAT I KNOW HAS DIFFERENT TASTE IN APPARELL.

HelloMrFancyPants

Reaction score
HE WAS A INVESTMENT BANKER ON WALL STREET. I KNOW ZACHARY PRELL AND THE ZACHARY PRELL THAT I KNOW HAS DIFFERENT TASTE IN APPARELL.

"The only thing I want from my bankers is a new calendar every year."

This isn't the forum for my particular feelings on sell-siders.

My personal opinion on the shirts, however, is that they aren't my particular taste.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloMrFancyPants
"Finally, the perfect shirt to go with those Kenneth Cole hedge fund loafers!"

They don't call the gang on here tough crowd for nothing

zacharyprell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
They don't call the gang on here tough crowd for nothing
Anyone care to hear the story of Zachary Prell that never made Wall Street as a corporate investment banker? Will I get in trouble for using my name and marketing my shirts as I had planned? If I was paranoid I might ask is this a conspiracy to keep me from marketing my shirts? I never would have used a personal name as a trademarked label.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this a conspiracy to keep me from marketing my shirts? .

Be careful of mentioning the "Conspiracy" word here. Lots of lawyers on SF.

Many conspiracies have been hatched here to prevent moguls from marketing their wares!

But I can't speak about that, I might unwittingly become part of a conspiracy.
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads