• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nepenthes

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the story here? I just bought a pea coat from this label at the Den sale ($49, life is gooood) and I need to have it taken in a little, but this thing is on another level. The clerk (and again, I must stress how accommodating the Den/Odin staff were) said it was a branch/group of Engineered Garments.

LAG/Timbo/Drink, care to shed light?

Oh, and I took the coat out at home and to my dismay, it was missing a button.

But oh, wait, there's a spare inside.

Owned.

Largo

Reaction score
Nepenthes is the 'parent company' of Engineered Garments, like they said. I'm probably wrong, but I believe EG is more workwear oriented and sources vintage fabrics and hardware for a lot/most/all? of their line. At first I thought EG was the 'American' arm of Nepenthes, but since you got that coat (and by the way, a huge
angry.gif
censored.gif
to all you lucky guys who hit the Den sale) there, I guess not!

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On my last visit to the EG showroom, I queried them on other collections that I'd heard about but not been shown. They stated that they were producing a special collection for Odin, outside of what they show their regular retailers. Because of the proximity of their showroom and the Odin store, they work on projects together.
I need to at this point, try to work with them on some exclusive pieces for our store. However, after seeing the last collection and how vast the selection was, there is enough to keep each retailer with a separate collection of their own.

Gary

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen in the Japanese sites that post EG, Nepenthes does seem to be the parent company of EG (as Largo stated above). Nepenthes is the parent of several other brands as well, including S2W8, Needles, and Imperial Post Overalls. Checkout the nepenthes website and online store for more details: http://www.nepenthes.co.jp/ http://www.nepenthes.co.jp/shopping.html And blank, pics please.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timpoblete
From what I've seen in the Japanese sites that post EG, Nepenthes does seem to be the parent company of EG (as Largo stated above). Nepenthes is the parent of several other brands as well, including S2W8, Needles, and Imperial Post Overalls. Checkout the nepenthes website and online store for more details:

http://www.nepenthes.co.jp/

http://www.nepenthes.co.jp/shopping.html

And blank, pics please.

Just to clear things up, Nepenthes is the parent company of Engineered Garments.
When Diaki Suzuki entered the US market in the early 80's he worked directly for them as a Buyer of US products for Nepenthes and was first based in Boston where we met. At that time and is ongoing, the Japanese consumer was hot for "All things American" that Americana thing I've mentioned before. At that time a Japanese magazine evolved called Popeye which hyped this trend. I believe this magazine is still in print but one must see the issues from that time to gather what I mean. This explains to those who do not"get the look" that his designs evoke a tradition in American workwear with his signature treatments.
Daiki maintained this position with Nepenthes until the 2001-2 when he then concieved Engineered Garments as a Brand, designed by him and sponsored by Nepenthes.
If you look at your labels in your garments you will see "A Nepenthes New York Production"

Hope this helps.

Gary

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads