• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with navy blazer for professional setting

teege

Reaction score
Hi, I'm struggling with this one and am hoping you all could help.

I'm looking for a navy blazer to wear to business recruitment type events. Meet and greets with potential employers while I'm in grad school.

I'm a 36S and like a trim cut style. I've been searching and could really could find a couple that worked, but each had flaws.

First was this:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-black-trim-fit-navy-blazer/3080069

Problem is IMO the ticket pocket. I'm wondering if (1) that's a deal breaker, (2) if I tuck in the flap it's not a big deal, and (3) maybe Nordstrom can alter it?

There's also this, but it's not a modern/trim cut and looks a little boxy:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-bl...oat/3169207?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0

Between Saks, Nordstrom and Bloomingdales that's virtually all I could find. I'm also partial to Boss because I know their 36S fits perfectly. I am sure other brands like Theory would work—and I've looked that those—but I haven't found a design/color that suits me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Russ_H

Reaction score
The jackets in the photographs that you have linked to look, to me, like orphan jackets from a suit. They do not look like a conventional blazer. Sadly, the distinction between blazer and odd jacket is now being lost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazer

Odd jackets and blazers are both fine, in the right circumstances, but I think there needs to be a good degree of contrast between jacket and trousers.

As I'm located on the east side of the Atlantic, I'm afraid that I can't help with shopping suggestions.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
You might consider the offering from Anderson-Little.

http://andersonlittle.com/

Reviews have been good, the price is right, and they will work with you to ensure the correct fit.

OTOH, why wouldn't you wear a suit? Blazer and slacks is sort of an undergrad look.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amjack fit right here

Baggy acid wash jeans: check
Square toes: check
Baggy shirt: check
Shoulder divots: check

anderson-little-classic.jpg

Last edited:

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, the picture doesn't make it look very professional. However, other than the claim of shoulder divots, which I can't see, everything else would be fixed by pairing the blazer with different clothing.

teege

Reaction score

The jackets in the photographs that you have linked to look, to me, like orphan jackets from a suit. They do not look like a conventional blazer. Sadly, the distinction between blazer and odd jacket is now being lost.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazer
Odd jackets and blazers are both fine, in the right circumstances, but I think there needs to be a good degree of contrast between jacket and trousers.
As I'm located on the east side of the Atlantic, I'm afraid that I can't help with shopping suggestions.

I guess one issue is that I'm looking for a non-suit jacket that is formal enough to be okay in recruitment type settings. I don't really view an (very)odd jacket appropriate in this setting...would you say to nix the blazer altogether then?

OTOH, why wouldn't you wear a suit? Blazer and slacks is sort of an undergrad look.

So, I'm trying to dress up a business casual setting by throwing on a jacket. Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong. There are business formal events, and yes, I plan to wear a suit to those. Wasn't planning on doing so to the more relaxed events.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score

So, I'm trying to dress up a business casual setting by throwing on a jacket. Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong. There are business formal events, and yes, I plan to wear a suit to those. Wasn't planning on doing so to the more relaxed events.

That makes sense. One thought is that if you already have a trim-cut, modern suit that you like, why not just wear it without a tie or even with a polo shirt to any event where you might want to wear a sportcoat? Dressing down in a suit is a good look - or at least I think so :)

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
You guys must have a lot more money to spend than I did in grad school!

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While a ticket pocket in general is not a bad idea (I quite like them myself), as a smaller gentleman I think you're right to be cautious about it. The more you clutter up the jacket, the more you shorten the lines of the look, which is contrary to the effect you want. This is why most successful dressers who are on the shorter side go for clean lines and solids over patterns. I'd check out Brooks Brothers and especially Suit Supply (they have a cotton blazer I think, which might be the right level of formality for the business casual settings that you're describing, and feature a trimmer cut).

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Buy from Nordstrom or other stores then have it altered by them or your tailor.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a navy blazer for work settings where a suit isn't really appropriate.

I'm 5'9, and the challenge I've had is to find blazers that are an appropriate length. (Around 29" BOC). Regulars all seem to run a bit long, and shorts can be hard to find, or have a weird balance on me.

Any suggestions for a navy blazer that meets the following criteria?

1. 2-button
2. non-functioning sleeve cuffs so I can have it tailored
3. Short sizes available
4. Slim fitting
5. notch lapel
6. No weird ticket pockets/etc
7. Normal button stance - don't like high button stances (unfortunately if I switch from a regular to a short the whole fit seems to lend itself to this)
8. Price range $400 max, prefer to keep it lower if possible

Here's are some BB blazers - you can see that it runs a bit long. Unfortunately no shorts were available to try on.
LEFT: 38R Fitzgerald
RIGHT: 38R Regent
0xjpE.jpg

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's are some BB blazers - you can see that it runs a bit long.

Although they are perhaps slightly longer than today's fashion may define as ideal, they're by no means objectionably long. In fact, given the nature of the garment (a navy Brooks blazer - even a somewhat slim-fitting and "modern" one - is still essentially a conservative and traditional item), the lengths shown in your photographs strike me as actually being preferably to anything much shorter, currently prevailing fashion trends be damned.

While your photos don't really show all that much detail in the blazers, I prefer the look of the Fitzgerald on you. (And a case could certainly be made that the Fitzgerald is the more traditionally styled of the two, for that matter.)

If you were a little shorter, I'd advise you to stick with a short. But at 5'9", and given that you don't appear to have an unusually short torso relative to the lengths of your legs, I don't see any compelling reason for you to avoid wearing a regular. Overall, it's almost certainly the better length for you in this garment.
--
Michael

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads