• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need help with dressing for the summer

menaceko

Reaction score
hey,

so basically every summer/spring for years now i've just worn nike sb's/dunks or vans with plaid/cargo/khaki shorts and american eagle graphic shirts. I want to stop dressing like a kid and start dressing like an adult. i've already decided i'm going to get a pair of sperry's, unless there's something else someone can recommend. i'm not sure where to go after that, in terms of shirts and shorts. recommendations?

thanks in advance.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by menaceko
decided i'm going to get a pair of sperry's
gratz you are now promoted to SF peon

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Are short sleeve button ups a must?
frown.gif
I much prefer the look of a rolled up long sleeve shirt.

filcol

Reaction score
Basic V-Necks in bright colors, with a nice looking short khaki looks awesome.
But I never know where to get good looking v-necks in good quality.. The ones I have are just.. meeeh

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VLSI
Are short sleeve button ups a must?
frown.gif
I much prefer the look of a rolled up long sleeve shirt.

So do I
smile.gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by menaceko
hey,

so basically every summer/spring for years now i've just worn nike sb's/dunks or vans with plaid/cargo/khaki shorts and american eagle graphic shirts. I want to stop dressing like a kid and start dressing like an adult. i've already decided i'm going to get a pair of sperry's, unless there's something else someone can recommend. i'm not sure where to go after that, in terms of shirts and shorts. recommendations?

thanks in advance.

i dont think buying a pair of sperrys for $50 is going to make you "dress like an adult." i honestly dont know why people waist there time/money/sanity on cheap ass shoes.

if you like that style of shoe go out and buy a pair of yuketens. and do not reply with "i cannot afford it" or "im in school and therefore cant buy anything nice." save your money and buy something that will last. sperry = **** (like taco bell sticky ass ****).

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
i dont think buying a pair of sperrys for $50 is going to make you "dress like an adult." i honestly dont know why people waist there time/money/sanity on cheap ass shoes. if you like that style of shoe go out and buy a pair of yuketens. and do not reply with "i cannot afford it" or "im in school and therefore cant buy anything nice." save your money and buy something that will last. sperry = **** (like taco bell sticky ass ****).
I think in just about every thread you post, you insult people for not being able to afford certain type of clothing. In my opinion a 300$ pair of shoes vs. a 100$ pair of shoes, are just as disposable.. I get bored of clothing before I even begin to wear it in. I'm sure 99.9% of the people on this forum are this way.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
special flower

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by habitant
I get bored of clothing before I even begin to wear it in.

You sound confused.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think in just about every thread you post, you insult people for not being able to afford certain type of clothing. In my opinion a 300$ pair of shoes vs. a 100$ pair of shoes, are just as disposable.. I get bored of clothing before I even begin to wear it in. I'm sure 99.9% of the people on this forum are this way.
i dont recall insulting him. and yes, this is a style forum not a "i like cheap **** because i cant afford anything else" thread. if you are trying to justify buying **** shoes because you feel as though they are just as disposable as those that are more expensive thats okay for you but im not buying your bs. high-end shoes are more stylish, last longer use better materials. but i suppose im in that .1% group
smile.gif
edit: i would rather have fewer much nicer clothes then a closet full of **** from the crew ... but maybe im weird.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't wear shorts unless you're at the beach. Buy canvas sneakers or espadrilles. Don't worry about boat shoes, most of them are terrible and even the best ones are usually pretty ugly. Don't wear madras or any ugly plaids. If you're not sure if a plaid is ugly, don't buy it. Wear light, breathable cotton and linen fabrics. Don't **** around with polyester, you'll just get hot.

Stay away from ugly colors and really baggy or skinny clothes until you know what you're doing.

Post in the Ask a Question thread or Ultimate Noob Thread next time.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, i don't buy **** shoes, i just don't expect to keep wearing the same **** year after year.. I personally wouldn't wear sperry's, but at their price point you can find a half decent looking shoe.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that you can appear stylish without breaking the bank.

vans slip ons (40$)
blanc 'n noir dock shorts (100)
w+h tee (50$)

Pretty sweet summer outfit for less than a pair of Yuketen.

More baller:

Yuketen ranger mocs (350)
wings + horns shorts (220)
LVC 1920's T (105)

depends on what you want. (i don't know how warm it gets where you live, but here it's always too warm for button ups/pants)

Edit: Riviera Club makes nice summer clothing

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nah, i don't buy **** shoes, i just don't expect to keep wearing the same **** year after year..

so buy multiple hq pairs. nothing wrong with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads