• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need help with dressing for the summer

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get sperry's that is something that would have gone with your previous summer outfit's. Get a canvas shoe or espadrilles which has already been recommended. Personally I would recommend Riviera's Leisure shoes.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
so buy multiple hq pairs. nothing wrong with that.

Well I guess the question to OP is, how much money do you have?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
Don't get sperry's that is something that would have gone with your previous summer outfit's. Get a canvas shoe or espadrilles which has already been recommended. Personally I would recommend Riviera's Leisure shoes.
or the comme des garcon x gs canvas/suede shoe. those are nice and ~ $125.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by menaceko
so basically every summer/spring for years now i've just worn nike sb's/dunks or vans with plaid/cargo/khaki shorts and american eagle graphic shirts. I want to stop dressing like a kid and start dressing like an adult. i've already decided i'm going to get a pair of sperry's, unless there's something else someone can recommend. i'm not sure where to go after that, in terms of shirts and shorts. recommendations?
****. Why do so many noobs express the exact same fear? You should focus on trying to look your best using a style that makes you feel good/comfortable within your environment and stop worrying if you look like an "adult" or not. Stop asking for lists of clothing to wear and don't trust anyone whom tries to provide you with such a list. Such people are either providing you with their own preferences or relaying what they feel society expects to see. Do you actually like Sperry's? Do you feel drawn to them? Do you feel (psychologically) comfortable wearing them? Or would you feel more comfortable wearing sneakers? A few years back I actually tried wearing boat shoes believing they would look more dressy than sneakers. I got the recommendation from someone else and believing they knew more than me at the time, I followed their advice. Big mistake! I never felt comfortable wearing those damn things since they have a preppy vibe that's just not whom I am. Because of this, I never really embraced the style that would go with them and thus they always looked stupid on me. If you actually like the shorts, tee, and sneakers look there is no reason you have to totally abandon that. But maybe you could start with that and slowly improve it? For example try replacing your AE tees with a solid colored tee or maybe upgrade your sneakers to one of the more expensive fashion brands discussed on this forum. And regarding if this look is "adult" or not.... Last summer I noticed most middle aged men were wearing cargo shorts, sneakers, and and tee. So I would hardily classify this as a "kids" look. If your outfit comprised of high quality pieces that are well styled, it will not look like a kids outfit. Oh and your first efforts at improvement will likely suck. Expect to dedicate some time to this endeavor if you want good results-- possibly a year or more.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flat front shorts in various colors and patterns are fine for summer days... Wear them with your sperrys, sneakers, or even things like loafers. My black polo / white shirt / black quoddy (or black/white apc Nike) is probably my best summer outfit.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by habitant
Nah, i don't buy **** shoes, i just don't expect to keep wearing the same **** year after year.

You're a marketer's dream.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
****. Why do so many noobs express the exact same fear?

You should focus on trying to look your best using a style that makes you feel good/comfortable within your environment and stop worrying if you look like an "adult" or not. Stop asking for lists of clothing to wear and don't trust anyone whom tries to provide you with such a list. Such people are either providing you with their own preferences or relaying what they feel society expects to see.

Do you actually like Sperry's? Do you feel drawn to them? Do you feel (psychologically) comfortable wearing them? Or would you feel more comfortable wearing sneakers?

A few years back I actually tried wearing boat shoes believing they would look more dressy than sneakers. I got the recommendation from someone else and believing they knew more than me at the time, I followed their advice. Big mistake! I never felt comfortable wearing those damn things since they have a preppy vibe that's just not whom I am. Because of this, I never really embraced the style that would go with them and thus they always looked stupid on me.

If you actually like the shorts, tee, and sneakers look there is no reason you have to totally abandon that. But maybe you could start with that and slowly improve it? For example try replacing your AE tees with a solid colored tee or maybe upgrade your sneakers to one of the more expensive fashion brands discussed on this forum.

And regarding if this look is "adult" or not.... Last summer I noticed most middle aged men were wearing cargo shorts, sneakers, and and tee. So I would hardily classify this as a "kids" look. If your outfit comprised of high quality pieces that are well styled, it will not look like a kids outfit.

Oh and your first efforts at improvement will likely suck. Expect to dedicate some time to this endeavor if you want good results-- possibly a year or more.

I think it's because it's more or less on the other side of the spectrum (short of wearing a full suit). When I went through the same thing as the OP around 2 years ago, I went from what he was wearing...Nikes/Jordans to pretty much business casual AKA stuff from the local BR every day..to school and such. After that transformation you begin to find a happy median for lack of better words.

Now I have a lot of Aldens, but I also have sneakers. I guess it's sorta like dressing from both worlds.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion a 300$ pair of shoes vs. a 100$ pair of shoes, are just as disposable

Walk into a shoe store with $300 and you walk out with one shoe.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Don't wear shorts unless you're at the beach. Buy canvas sneakers or espadrilles. Don't worry about boat shoes, most of them are terrible and even the best ones are usually pretty ugly. Don't wear madras or any ugly plaids. If you're not sure if a plaid is ugly, don't buy it. Wear light, breathable cotton and linen fabrics. Don't **** around with polyester, you'll just get hot.

Stay away from ugly colors and really baggy or skinny clothes until you know what you're doing.

Post in the Ask a Question thread or Ultimate Noob Thread next time.

Unless you live in Alaska, do not follow this advice. Shorts + a good pair of leather sandals are a must for summer, moc's are good also, just take care of your feet

And don't ask questions in the "noob" thread unless you want your question to never be answered

Nah, i don't buy **** shoes, i just don't expect to keep wearing the same **** year after year.. I personally wouldn't wear sperry's, but at their price point you can find a half decent looking shoe.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that you can appear stylish without breaking the bank.

vans slip ons (40$)
blanc 'n noir dock shorts (100)
w+h tee (50$)

Pretty sweet summer outfit for less than a pair of Yuketen.

More baller:

Yuketen ranger mocs (350)
wings + horns shorts (220)
LVC 1920's T (105)

depends on what you want. (i don't know how warm it gets where you live, but here it's always too warm for button ups/pants)

Edit: Riviera Club makes nice summer clothing

Agreed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads