• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help ASAP for Business Conference

thomasec

Reaction score
I have a business conference in 3 weeks, and while I work in the IT sector (which tends to be very casual), I want to make good impression on perspective clients.

Anyway, right now all I wear to work is jeans and casual shirts, and I feel like I need something a little dressier for the conference.

I'm 5"10 and about 155 lbs and I literally haven't worn dress pants (khakis included) in about 4 years.

I'd like to spend less than $400 - $500 for three different outfits (it's a 3 day conference).

I already have a decent pair of shoes, but I will probably need a new pair of pants, and at least 3 shirts. Possibly some ties too...

Any help is greatly, greatly, appreciated. I live in Chicago if that helps.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to J. Crew. Get two pairs of slim fit khaki pants - one lighter, one darker. Get two or three button down shirts - one white, and two in other patterns that look good on you. Get a couple of sweaters - v-neck or cardigan if you like. Look into some new shoes. I like the dessert boots they currently have. Get a decent leather belt if you don't have one. Done.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomasec
I have a business conference in 3 weeks, and while I work in the IT sector (which tends to be very casual), I want to make good impression on perspective clients.

Anyway, right now all I wear to work is jeans and casual shirts, and I feel like I need something a little dressier for the conference.

I'm 5"10 and about 155 lbs and I literally haven't worn dress pants (khakis included) in about 4 years.

I'd like to spend less than $400 - $500 for three different outfits (it's a 3 day conference).

I already have a decent pair of shoes, but I will probably need a new pair of pants, and at least 3 shirts. Possibly some ties too...

Any help is greatly, greatly, appreciated. I live in Chicago if that helps.

Given your price range, typical attire and location, I would suggest to try and catch a Brooks Brothers or Jos A Bank sale. Get yourself 3 pairs of pants, 2 cotton and 1 wool (a khaki and a dark color cotton pant, the wool should be in a medium to dark grey). 3-4 buttondown shirts (solid blue in two shades, a solid white, and somethnig in a small check), I wouldn't wear ties without a jacket but if you have a jacket or don't care, you can pick up a tie or two at either place. You aren't going to be able to fit in any good shoes with your budget but Rockport does some dressy looking shoes and they are comfortable, you should be able to get a pair within your budget. get them dark brown or black, not square toed, laced, not slip on, and with minimal to no decorations/designs.

thomasec

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I truly appreciate it. Is it acceptable to wear desert boots with a pair of Khakis? I recently purchased these: Clarks Desert Boots And I'm thinking that would work. Then a nice brown belt, a few shirts, and it seems like I should be good to go? Oh, and if you guys have any recommendations for a few J. Crew shirts that you particularly like, I'd appreciate that too. Thanks again.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I truly appreciate it.

Is it acceptable to wear desert boots with a pair of Khakis? I recently purchased these:

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model...Froogle-_-null

And I'm thinking that would work. Then a nice brown belt, a few shirts, and it seems like I should be good to go?

Well, acceptable is relative. Do you expect everyone else to be dressed in suits and dress shoes at the conference? If so, you may feel a bit underdressed. If it is a khaki and shirt affair, there is nothing wrong with those boots but I would suggest something like a Clarks desert boot, as it is a bit more "muted".

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I truly appreciate it.

Is it acceptable to wear desert boots with a pair of Khakis? I recently purchased these:

Clarks Desert Boots

And I'm thinking that would work. Then a nice brown belt, a few shirts, and it seems like I should be good to go?

Oh, and if you guys have any recommendations for a few J. Crew shirts that you particularly like, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks again.

If you can get in to the store, it's best to try them on to see what color and size is right for you. If you do want to wear a tie (and as long as everyone else is not in a suit, I have no problem with a tie and no jacket for an IT conference), just make sure the shirt's neck fits properly. This may entail Edmorrel's trip to Brooks Brothers for a proper shirt or two. By this I mean one with a separate neck and sleeve measurement. I would still go slim fit based on your measurements.

I also assume you are younger, so go with a slimmer tie - about 3". J. Crew is another good option or the slim BB ties, but they will cost more. I have a lot of BB clothes, and they are often quite full cut. I think you will get a better fit at J. Crew. I'd stay away from Jo Banks.

Icehawk

Reaction score
I was in IT for 10 years up until 2007... most people dress at best in khakis and a polo. So as long as you are on the nicer end of business casual I wouldn't be too concerned. I prefer to a wear jeans-style pants vs khakis myself.

Not sure what conference you are going to but it is highly unlikely that you would need to wear a tie or a suit unless you are management. I can't recall ever wearing more than business casual even at meetings with VPs and such to be honest.

I would suggest shoes over boots for a conference/meeting although the ones you have would work fine since they will be hidden by pants and look like casual shoes to most.

thomasec

Reaction score
So I just to J. Crew, and the Urban Slim Chinos fit very well. Unfortunately, they had about 5 dress shirts in the store, and none of them were interesting at all. Can you guys give me some help with which color pants to get (leaning towards the Dill or Graphite, but not sure they'd go well with my Desert Boots), and possibly 3-4 shirts to go with them?

tcnjbanker123

Reaction score
I'd go with a pair of light stone and a pair of British tan (deeper tan, but not dark). As far as dress shirts, you cant go wrong with some oxford cloth button down collar shirts. In staple colors like white, light blue, and pink would be good, as well as a stripe or pattern or two. For the shirts, check out brooks bros, Jos A Bank, or even pick up some club room shirts at Macy's (try on for sleeve size, my shoulders are wide and I have to size up) and you won't go wrong.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In what color are the pants available? The website currently shows four (dill, khaki, british khaki, graphite), all of which would be acceptable. I'd lean towards the more subdued colors: dill and graphite. For the third pair of pants, wool would be a good choice, as others already suggested. The most versatile color would be a mid grey (tending rather to dark than to light gray). Something like this: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

As for shirts, just buy a few (three-five) button downs in classic, basic colours like white, light blue and any combination thereof (stripes, checks).

Examples:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
In what color are the pants available? The website currently shows four (dill, khaki, british khaki, graphite), all of which would be acceptable. I'd lean towards the more subdued colors: dill and graphite. For the third pair of pants, wool would be a good choice, as others already suggested. The most versatile color would be a mid grey (tending rather to dark than to light gray). Something like this: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= As for shirts, just buy a few (three-five) button downs in classic, basic colours like white, light blue and any combination thereof (stripes, checks). Examples: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=
Those pants alone are his entire budget. For shirts, the regular Brooks Brothers OCBD, as opposed to the Black Fleece, in white, blue, and blue and white stripe are pretty classic and much more cost efficient: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= They are three for $199, and you can often find even better deals.

thomasec

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably order the Dill and Graphite pants online, and then head over to brooks brothers and check out some of their extra-slim fit shirts.

Still worried about what kind of shoes to wear with the pants.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably order the Dill and Graphite pants online, and then head over to brooks brothers and check out some of their extra-slim fit shirts. Still worried about what kind of shoes to wear with the pants.
Take a look at the shoes in Brooks while you're there.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Those pants alone are his entire budget. For shirts, the regular Brooks Brothers OCBD, as opposed to the Black Fleece, in white, blue, and blue and white stripe are pretty classic and much more cost efficient:
They are three for $199, and you can often find even better deals.

You're right, I meant the links more as an illustration.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably order the Dill and Graphite pants online, and then head over to brooks brothers and check out some of their extra-slim fit shirts.

Still worried about what kind of shoes to wear with the pants.

Sounds good; re: the shoes - I think you'll be fine with the desert boots. They are not perfect for your purpose but very nice shoes. The consensus is that they go best with jeans, so they're a little too informal for your purpose but still inside the limit, I think.
Now, if you think about buying a new pair of shoes as well, there's billions of options.

thomasec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
Now, if you think about buying a new pair of shoes as well, there's billions of options.

Ha, yeah. I wouldn't mind avoiding purchasing new shoes, since I'm probably only going to be wearing this stuff once or twice a year.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackfraser14