• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
My wife's paycheck gets mailed to us every friday. This year we've been having some issues with the postal office putting wrong mail into wrong slots (ive seen it from their end, it is confusing they can easily mistaken the apt designating label to correspond to the one above not below) and had her paycheck not arrive, i guess going to the wrong apt mailbox. It was reissued when she reported it to HR.

Last month, this happened again, and she reported to HR, but 10 days later they called her to inform her that the check was already deposited/cashed by someone. It obviously not us, but they are sending her the check to verify the signature. Just wondering what recourse is there to get her paycheck again. im assuming someone at our apt complex tried to deposit the check and succeeded somehow.

i told her time and time again to get direct deposit setup and she never listens and only does something when something happens. im just so frustrated with her and im sure i ll regret writing this snippet at the end once my emotions calm down.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
get a gift box. wrap it. inside, place a note that says that you intended to have a gift in here, but it must have gotten put in the wrong person's home.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oooh. That cashed check business will be a hassle, and perhaps just the thing to get your wife to pay attention. Long story short...I may be off on the particulars but this is what I had to deal with.

The issuer has to get a copy of the canceled check
The issuer then needs an affidavit from your wife saying she never got it and someone somewhere committed fraud.
They then go to the issuing bank and present their paperwork.
Paperwork goes to the cashing bank and...eventually...the money is withdrawn (if it's there) and returned to the issuer's account.
Issuer re-issues check to your wife.

Direct deposit is Where It's At. You should poast a poll in DT

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
oooh. That cashed check business will be a hassle, and perhaps just the thing to get your wife to pay attention. Long story short...I may be off on the particulars but this is what I had to deal with.

The issuer has to get a copy of the canceled check
The issuer then needs an affidavit from your wife saying she never got it and someone somewhere committed fraud.
They then go to the issuing bank and present their paperwork.
Paperwork goes to the cashing bank and...eventually...the money is withdrawn (if it's there) and returned to the issuer's account.
Issuer re-issues check to your wife.

Direct deposit is Where It's At. You should poast a poll in DT

thank you

what happens if the money is not there? let say it was just cashed out at a check-cashing place or something?
should the employer still issue a new check to my wife? this is not my wife's fault.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know how the system works there, Brian, but I'm sure there's some fraud protection clause for stuff like this right? Anyway, what upsets me more is that someone in your building(?) might have stolen that check from you guys. Hopefully your wife does get a direct deposit thing going after this incident.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
thank you what happens if the money is not there? let say it was just cashed out at a check-cashing place or something? should the employer still issue a new check to my wife? this is not my wife's fault.
That is a gray area for me - I do not know for sure. However, since it's considered a fraudulent indorsement I'd think that the money would be returned whether funds were available or not. If there's no money, the fraudulent depositor would be overdrawn, since he/she has no legit claim to the money. For a check-cashing place, that means they would be out the $$$, since they're left holding the bag on these transactions (iirc). In any case, yes, the employer would still issue a new check. That said: it's going to be a hassle for them on the bookkeeping side, because they can't just void and re-issue a new check. Especially since it's a payroll check (which BTW - do those have her SSN on it? I hope they XXX it out, look at a previous check to see). If you need a bigger lever to move her to direct deposit, ask her to consider all the hassle she's putting her accounting and HR people through for something neither party has any control over.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In any case, yes, the employer would still issue a new check. That said: it's going to be a hassle for them on the bookkeeping side, because they can't just void and re-issue a new check. Especially since it's a payroll check (which BTW - do those have her SSN on it? I hope they XXX it out, look at a previous check to see). If you need a bigger lever to move her to direct deposit, ask her to consider all the hassle she's putting her accounting and HR people through for something neither party has any control over.
I've known employers to force employees to get direct deposit. It's more convenient and cheaper for both parties, and would alleviate problems like this.

jc138

Reaction score
That is a gray area for me - I do not know for sure. However, since it's considered a fraudulent indorsement I'd think that the money would be returned whether funds were available or not. If there's no money, the fraudulent depositor would be overdrawn, since he/she has no legit claim to the money. For a check-cashing place, that means they would be out the $$$, since they're left holding the bag on these transactions (iirc). In any case, yes, the employer would still issue a new check. That said: it's going to be a hassle for them on the bookkeeping side, because they can't just void and re-issue a new check. Especially since it's a payroll check (which BTW - do those have her SSN on it? I hope they XXX it out, look at a previous check to see). If you need a bigger lever to move her to direct deposit, ask her to consider all the hassle she's putting her accounting and HR people through for something neither party has any control over.
If I recall correctly the place who accepted the fraudulent endorsement gets left holding the bag.

You should call the cops. They should be able to track this down pretty easily.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Well, it turned out to be a false scare as her HR looked up the wrong check number for some reason. It took them over a month (for reasons unknown) to tell her that the correct check number was never deposited and perhaps just lost in the mail.

She will be reissued her check. I'm just relieved no one forged and cashed the check, we felt so violated all this time.

Thanks for all those who replied to help.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^This is actually a rather disappointing revelation.
I was hoping this thread would develop into a financial crime drama.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Well, it turned out to be a false scare as her HR looked up the wrong check number for some reason. It took them over a month (for reasons unknown) to tell her that the correct check number was never deposited and perhaps just lost in the mail.

She will be reissued her check. I'm just relieved no one forged and cashed the check, we felt so violated all this time.

Thanks for all those who replied to help.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^This is actually a rather disappointing revelation.
I was hoping this thread would develop into a financial crime drama.

...Sho...Still, double check the pay stubs to make sure there's no SSN on there. If her SSN is on her pay stubs, then you'll want to watch your (her) credit reports closely for a while. Just because the check wasn't cashed doesn't mean it's in the dead letter files.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
...Sho...Still, double check the pay stubs to make sure there's no SSN on there. If her SSN is on her pay stubs, then you'll want to watch your (her) credit reports closely for a while. Just because the check wasn't cashed doesn't mean it's in the dead letter files.

nice. thanks Thomas. no, the social is Xed out except for the last 4 digits.
i appreciate your comments above and earlier for future reference though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads