• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on slowly building a lean wardrobe. Suggestions on shoes and denim?

Big Iron

Reaction score
At one time I paid much more attention to the way I dressed. I'd like to get back to that point, this time by actually educating myself. For reference, I'm 32, 210 pounds, medium/muscular build. For all intents and purposes, I'm basically rebuilding my wardrobe from scratch. I don't have to dress well for work or other reasons, I'm doing this for myself :)

I prefer more classic looks, with a bit of edge. I have no problem pulling off most looks, but due to limited funds, I'd like to start with classic, versatile, casual staples. As money allows, I'd like to buy dressier items, a couple suits, etc. I'd rather invest in clothes that will last than buy cheap and frequent, especially since I tend to wear what I buy for a long time.

At the moment, I really need a pair of 'go-to' shoes/boots for daily wear and a couple pairs of new denim. With $500 to spend right now, I'm wondering if it'd be best to spend $400 of that on shoes and buy a couple pair of Levi's, or some other strategy.

For the shoes, I'd like to take advantage of one of these Green Monday sales, meaning I need to buy today. For versatility, I'm thinking brown would be best, and I'm looking at either a traditional boot or a brown chukka. I live in the rainy state of Oregon, so if I get a leather sole I'll likely have to have topy soles installed. Here are two I had in mind, the first of which I can get for just over $200 with the Amazon coupon. I've also been looking at the Wolverine 1000 Mile boots, which I really like, but I'm not sure if they (or the Frye's) are versatile enough for what I need.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1955672402&pf_rd_i=679307011

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFU4W9W/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

As for the denim, I'm not sure what the best 'bang for the buck' is right now, but that would probably be the best bet for me until I can afford better.

I really appreciate the help, guys!

rbarthel

Reaction score
For that price point (actually a little less) I like the Chippewa Service boot instead of the Frye: http://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-1901M25-Mens-Service-Cordovan/dp/B00J04NP8G/ref=cts_sh_2_fbt

Unfortunately I don't think Amazon coupon codes typically work on Red Wing or Wolverine 1ks, but it might be worth moving up into the $300 range and looking at Red Wing Beckmans/Iron Ranger or 1ks and just get the one pair leaving $200ish for a couple of pairs of Unbranded raw selvage.

Big Iron

Reaction score
For that price point (actually a little less) I like the Chippewa Service boot instead of the Frye: http://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-1901M25-Mens-Service-Cordovan/dp/B00J04NP8G/ref=cts_sh_2_fbt

Unfortunately I don't think Amazon coupon codes typically work on Red Wing or Wolverine 1ks, but it might be worth moving up into the $300 range and looking at Red Wing Beckmans/Iron Ranger or 1ks and just get the one pair leaving $200ish for a couple of pairs of Unbranded raw selvage.

That's hilarious you said that. Last night, with no replies here and the coupon expiring, I decided to go it alone and make a purchase.

My decision? The Chippewa Service Boot in Cordovan :D

Ended up getting them for $181 after the coupon. With my limited budget at the moment, I just couldn't justify spending the extra $119 on Red Wings or 1k's.

Now to find some denim...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads