• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Advice for Wearing 3 Piece Suit (specifically color/pattern matching)

vnecks

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best way to find a shirt / tie / pocket square combo to go with this 3 piece suit.

I've never worn a 3 piece suit, so im not sure how loud i'm allowed to be with the tie or shirt, and the appropriate way to color/pattern match it. the difficulty comes from the blue accent in the plaid pattern of the suit.

primarily - what patterns of shirt/tie will work, and which colors? how heavy or subtle a pattern would work? i've been looking at ledbury and charles tyrwhitt shirts, and thought that maybe a sky blue shirt would work, however im not sure if a light gingham patter is appropriate. can a heavy gingham work? do i stick with a hairline stripe or solid shirt?

for tie - is a solid tie appropriate? seems like it might be too boring. i was thinking a navy pindot tie, but im worried the pattern might be too light?

some people advised wearing a brown tie, or but it seems that might blend in too much. i had a military khaki burberry tie with hints of green etc but when i put it with the suit it seemed like it might not work (picture at the end)

pictures of the suit are below.

the model is wearing a blue shirt and blue tie, but i really dont like the combination there. i wanted something a bit more modern, or with a bit more.. flavor to it.

also this will be for a fall/winter occasion [a wedding].

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light blue shirt, or a blue-and-white stripe. Don't do another check in shirt or tie (this isn't impossible, but your eye needs to be experienced to do it well). Ties, stick to navy, burgundy, purple, and burnt orange. If you do a solid, get a textured one. Otherwise, do a stripe or a neat. Pindots would be a touch too formal.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Light blue shirt, or a blue-and-white stripe. Don't do another check in shirt or tie (this isn't impossible, but your eye needs to be experienced to do it well). Ties, stick to navy, burgundy, purple, and burnt orange. If you do a solid, get a textured one. Otherwise, do a stripe or a neat. Pindots would be a touch too formal.

Exactly this.

Light blue solid shirt with a solid navy grenadine or knit tie would look pretty good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics