• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a pair of boots to wear to the office in snow

BigRob

Reaction score
I'm working at a law firm in midtown Manhattan. I own a few pairs of Allen Edmonds dress shoes (PA, FA, and Strands), but don't know what I'm going to wear when it snows. I was thinking I could wear these boots, from Timberland, then change into a pair of AE that I keep at the office. Acceptable?

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4338097

Last edited:

robbersarb

Reaction score
If you have the money I'd recommend finding something in Cordovan? It's supposed to be wonderfully waterproof and is rather beautiful in tone and would probably look dressier?

LeviMay

Reaction score
I'm wearing my AE Bayfields with jacket and tie today:

BigRob

Reaction score
I have the money, but I feel as though cordovan boots are neither the warmest nor the most weatherproof (even if waterproof, they'd become scuffed, dull, salted, etc.) Also, my leather-soled shoes are slippery as anything - I wouldn't want to even know what walking on ice with them is like.

It's just that I haven't gone through a winter season at the firm yet and so I don't know what men tend to do when the weather turns foul. Snow tends to be cleaned up quickly around where I work, I hear, but I still have about a five minute walk to the subway station and I don't want to arrive to work with wet feet when there's six inches of snow.

Maybe I can just use a car service to avoid the weather, but I don't know how quickly it can get from Brooklyn Heights to Midtown in the snow.

Also -- those boots I linked are on sale for $130, but Timberland is having a 25% off sale, and I have a 10% off % free shipping coupon that stacks. They'll be ~$90 (originally $150).

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of Swims overshoes is a practical solution - so long as the snow isn't more than ankle deep - and will look way better with a suit than a clunky pair of boots will.

That said, there are any number of boots from AE, Alden or Carmina that would fit the bill in the $300 - $500 range, and again, look way better with a suit than the ones posted. Synthetic soles are preferable and widely available.

I don't imagine the winters in NYC are very much different from those in Toronto - and I have practiced law there for a couple decades. Mountain boots with a suit is not a good look. But there's no law against it. Your call.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wellington boots and change upon arrival

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the money, but I feel as though cordovan boots are neither the warmest nor the most weatherproof (even if waterproof, they'd become scuffed, dull, salted, etc.) Also, my leather-soled shoes are slippery as anything - I wouldn't want to even know what walking on ice with them is like.

Nothing works on ice, unless it's got studs! Something with a vibram or dainite sole would work better in snow than a leather sole. Thicker socks with Cordovan boots and dainite soles would be fine if it's moderate cold and snow that is the problem. But in Ontatio in the winter, there comes a time when it's on with the Sorel's for three months or so, and change them in the office, where I keep a selection of shoes...

Ernie

Reaction score
I'll say this, you've got horrible taste in shoes. Seems like you've made up your mind though. If you wise up, listen to one of the others and try Carmina or the likes.

BigRob

Reaction score
I haven't made up my mind, as evidenced by the existence of this thread. Still a few months until I have to worry about snow.

Also -- leather soles are a decidedly poor choice. I question the judgment of anyone who suggests leather-soled shoes for the purpose of wearing in the snow.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like you've made up your mind though. If you wise up, listen to one of the others and try Carmina or the likes.

That's my impression - he's not so much looking for opinions as affirmation of his intended choice - coupled with random condemnation of leather soles, which no-one here has advanced as a good option for a winter boot.

hawkinomics

Reaction score
I just ordered some Alico boots from Sierra Trading Post for around 150 with coupon to serve the same purpose. Like the others I'm sure you can do better if you up your budget even just a tad.

Ernie

Reaction score
Good quality/lovely looking leather boots come with dainite soles aswell, friend. If you don't have the money for them just say so. It's what seems to be the problem seeing as how you're making a point of price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads