Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need a pair of boots to wear to the office in snow

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BigRob, Sep 13, 2013.

1. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

I misread a post or two above as suggesting leather-soled shoes. I had also been doing a search of this forum for similar topics and must have confused replies.

Part of my reasoning is that I imagine higher-end dress shoes look better when clean and polished, but worse when dirty and scuffed, than do cheaper options. The "picture in my head," if you will, is of my black calfskin PA's. They glow after I give them a polish, but once they lose their luster and have a few scuff marks on the toe, they don't look quite so nice. If I were to walk through salted snow for five minutes, they'd look like hell (I imagine). Compare to the boots I posted above. They don't appear to be scuffable and are naturally matte - and, given their "ruggedness," would look better when salt-stained than a dress boot. This might be entirely off-base, but it's a key assumption upon which I've been acting. (Also - cordovan leather can be treated to be water resistant, but isn't it ruined by salt?)

I'm also concerned that comments from the international community with respect to style are of less value to me than those of my countrymen might be. What is common and conservative dress in one country - even in one city - is different from the next. I appreciate the help, but I think that the best thing for me to do is to keep my eyes open the first time it snows and emulate what my better-dressed peers do.

P.S. Ernie: Market for an associate at a large firm in Manhattan is $160,000 starting, plus bonus. As a young man with few expenses, I am not so much concerned with the price of a pair of quality boots. (I hope that reads as matter-of-fact, as intended.)

Thanks again for the posts in this thread.

2. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

Do you want to:
    a. either carry shoes or else leave them at the office when it snows
    or
    b. buy a versatile boot you can wear all day?

If the answer is a, then buy the timbos, or the ll beans gum shoes and bring your office shoes in, or buy a spare pair and leave them in the office.If b, then re-read carefully some of the recommendations in this thread.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Good - then maybe you should have just stated that you were only interested in replies from fellow NY lawyers and saved some of us from wasting our time. I know I won't be wasting any more. Buy yourself some bright yellow plastic snowmobile boots for $89.99 (on sale from 99.99!) and wear them in good health.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Call the AE shoes bank and see if they have any captoe boots with Vibram soles in your size. I have a feeling they will

5. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    Land's End has the CXL Bayfield on sale for $259. Not bad to trudge with in the snow and wear at the office. Mini-lug sole, however.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Much better option than any of those listed above. A commando sole like that is ideal

Also can see if the Port Washington shoe bank has it for less, you never know

7. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

Quote: Allen Edmonds
    The Bayfield model features a mini-lug rubber sole that is a perfect fit for both wet and dry weather conditions. Though the Bayfield and Cascade styles both feature waterproof rubber soles, the uppers are made of natural leather and so are not waterproof.

We offer the Swims Mobster Boot Galoshes which are a great way to protect your investments and allow you to wear your favorite shoes regardless of weather conditions.

Ultimately, what each individual chooses is their own decision; we encourage customers to purchase and wear what they feel most comfortable in.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
    Allen Edmonds Customer Service

Quote: Allen Edmonds . . . .

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
    Allen Edmonds Customer Service

http://answers.allenedmonds.com/ans...-questions-answers/questions.htm?sort=recentq

8. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

9. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I don't understand what you want.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Just get the ducks boots and be done with it then if you can't stand to get salt on a pair of $200 boots

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

12. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

13. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

[​IMG]