• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neapolitan Sport Coat

philipf90

Reaction score
I am looking to go on a trip to Naples for a few days and am in the market for a true Neapolitan sport coat. A robust allrounder that can be worn with regular wool trousers as well as jeans.
Essentially something like this:

My budget is c.£2000 (€2850). I put value, craftmanship and experience ahead of the name of the brand. Would be great to get some guidance as to what is actually realistic.

Looking forward to hearing about some good places off the beaten path. If some of the more well-known names are applicable please let me know.

Thanks!

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get that for way less the half, do not follow hypes, specially 99% blogs who only shill the, usually mediocre tailor who pays them for fake hyped reviews.

The price you say is way over for the best names. So beware of getting yourself ending on overpaying for just a name with most of the cases, only the name but bad quality.

The rtw jacket of the manekin or has out of pitch sleeves ( note the bags below the armholes) or the manekin is other size. Note how bad they fall, twisting over themselves.

Maybe is Orazio Luciano, one of the worst ever. Looks like. Beware.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get that for way less the half, do not follow hypes, specially 99% blogs who only shill the, usually mediocre tailor who pays them for fake hyped reviews.

The price you say is way over for the best names. So beware of getting yourself ending on overpaying for just a name with most of the cases, only the name but bad quality.

The rtw jacket of the manekin or has out of pitch sleeves ( note the bags below the armholes) or the manekin is other size. Note how bad they fall, twisting over themselves.

Maybe is Orazio Luciano, one of the worst ever. Looks like. Beware.

It's Formosa, SF's darling, so you you're not allowed to say anything negative about it.
wink.gif

How can you tell anything about pitch sleeve from a jacket that's hanging on a mannequin and without arms in the sleeves?

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Formosa, SF's darling, so you you're not allowed to say anything negative about it.
wink.gif

How can you tell anything about pitch sleeve from a jacket that's hanging on a mannequin and without arms in the sleeves?

Who cares the brand? For being x or xy is that untouchable?
satisfied.gif
It just looks the awful Orazio Lucianoi got who we dismanteled on my high tailoring school, it looked as bad as that on the manekin, ( and way worse on myself)
cloud.gif

See it

I said just on the manekin does a lot of issues that goes against the daily lessons i get daily on Naples by the best. Bags below the armholes and unclean sleeves; defect and bad tailoring. Impossible to get a degree doing that.

Unless that jacket is bespoked for a person whose body is a bit humped, so the sleeves could fit good that body type,as the shoulders would be curved forward,( not the exact technical explanation, but more or less) and on this case i think is rtw, so should fit perfect a manekin, as rtw is modelled for perfect bodies, sorry to say, but has obvious issues on the sleeves. Magnify the pic to see it yourself.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was pretty impressed with the stuff I saw at Palermo, but I've heard he's retired. @unbelragazzo bought something from there last year, however. He can probably say something about it. I assume it was done by their new cutter.

I was also impressed with some of the stuff I saw at Panico, but mostly as it was worn by older customers. I think he can give you a tighter and shorter jacket if you request, but IMO that sucks all the life out of his tailoring. If money were no object, I would go there and not over specify an order -- let him do what he thinks looks right.

Like everyone else, I also really like @itsstillmatt's Rubinacci jackets. I would probably commission something from the Naples store, only because I think Mariano lends something to the process and he doesn't travel.

The idea of a "true" Neapolitan jacket seems kind of silly IMO. There are dozens of tailors in the city and they're all legitimately Neapolitan. You just have to pick one that you like the most.

Oh, and the jacket in that photo is by Formosa, who travels to NYC through No Man Walks Alone, but you probably already know that.

Last edited:

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea who was, but looks pretty bad on the manekin. Maybe excess of pin on the back gives an unnatural look and makes those bags below the armhole.

I hope if fits good on a client, might be, or as i said is made for a client with shaped body, that makes looks odd on a straight manekin.

Best of luck and lots of attention.
  • philipf90
  • beware with the spam private messages you sooner or later will receive from shills who selfcall as " experts" who will give you a list of tailors ( all shilled to those), as they get cash out of it and are on the hunt of people as you. You might end, as happened, and i also denunced, paying extra 1000e or more for a mediocre garment valued on a few hundreds. ( This happened to me years ago, so i know the story)

Last edited:

philipf90

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

I just took this as an example as it represented the overall style I am going for rather than the fit (notably the lapels and material which is flannel).

What do you think is a more reasonable budget?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for all the responses.

I just took this as an example as it represented the overall style I am going for rather than the fit (notably the lapels and material which is flannel).

What do you think is a more reasonable budget?

2k pounds will get you a jacket from pretty much any tailor in Naples except for Rubinacci. If you like the one in the picture, you might as well start at Formosa. I'm assuming you're in London, since you quote your budget in pounds. If a continuing relationship with the tailor is important to you, and you won't be returning to Naples, you might want to see Elia Caliendo and Gennaro Solito, both of whom travel to London. All three of those mentioned above are towards the upper end of the non-Rubinacci Naples price range, although still within your budget. Depending on how many days "a few" is, you might not be able to complete a jacket in that time, in which case you'll definitely need to see the tailor again. Forum favorite/occasional forum piñata Napolisumisura also travels to London, and is a bit less expensive than the others.

The others I know of are Amato, Palermo (now Zizolfi), and Iorio. These represent are a more spartan client experience. Whereas Caliendo and Formosa have well-appointed air-conditioned lounges, at these tailors you'll be more or less in their workshop with them for your fittings. They will not speak English. They will not take credit cards. I enjoy this, but not everyone does nor should everyone feel obligated to.

Last edited:

Beginneling83

Reaction score
Seriously. Isaia is available for €1500 and Attolini for around 2k.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Delete

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who cares the brand? For being x or xy is that untouchable?:satisfied: It just looks the awful Orazio Lucianoi got who we dismanteled on my high tailoring school, it looked as bad as that on the manekin, ( and way worse on myself):cloud: See it I said just on the manekin does a lot of issues that goes against the daily lessons i get daily on Naples by the best. Bags below the armholes and unclean sleeves; defect and bad tailoring. Impossible to get a degree doing that. Unless that jacket is bespoked for a person whose body is a bit humped, so the sleeves could fit good that body type,as the shoulders would be curved forward,( not the exact technical explanation, but more or less) and on this case i think is rtw, so should fit perfect a manekin, as rtw is modelled for perfect bodies, sorry to say, but has obvious issues on the sleeves. Magnify the pic to see it yourself.
I like the blue one. It's not too short, not too tight, and it does not have wide-open quarters. Aside from the patch pockets, which I do not wear, it is exactly to my taste.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the blue one. It's not too short, not too tight, and it does not have wide-open quarters.
Aside from the patch pockets, which I do not wear, it is exactly to my taste.

Both are the same actually.
The blue is actually the grey.

Orazio said, top fit.

What a scammer.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both are the same actually.
The blue is actually the grey.

Orazio said, top fit.

What a scammer.

Then I woiuld like both, except the fabric on the second.
( Now you are going to tell me that the fabric is the same.)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The others I know of are Amato, Palermo (now Zizolfi), and Iorio. These represent are a more spartan client experience. Whereas Caliendo and Formosa have well-appointed air-conditioned lounges, at these tailors you'll be more or less in their workshop with them for your fittings. They will not speak English. They will not take credit cards. I enjoy this, but not everyone does nor should everyone feel obligated to.

Is Zizolfi the new cutter replacing Palermo? And is that now the name of the shop?

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is Zizolfi the new cutter replacing Palermo? And is that now the name of the shop?

Yes he was Palermo's apprentice. I think it's still officially called Sartoria Palermo...or at least that's what the sign on the door says. I guess that's about as official as anything gets in matters such as these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads