• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the first year is like $25MM or something. Kind of a gutless move IMO, it's like teasing the short kid by moving the basketball rim to the highest position.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the first year is like $25MM or something. Kind of a gutless move IMO, it's like teasing the short kid by moving the basketball rim to the highest position.

Not a very good move by Holmgren in any sense. I used to like him and thought he was making "bold moves" but now I just thank he doesn't know what he's doing and is always shooting from the hip.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Not to derail the current conversation, but after the jersey comment, the Winter Classic one, I was thinking more about it. Thoughts on future Winter Classic locations/teams? Ratings are apparently pretty bad in Canada, so this year makes since, afterwards?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not to derail the current conversation, but after the jersey comment, the Winter Classic one, I was thinking more about it. Thoughts on future Winter Classic locations/teams? Ratings are apparently pretty bad in Canada, so this year makes since, afterwards?

I'll be pissed if its not in NY in the next few years. If the Islanders move to Brooklyn, have it at Downing Stadium on Randall's Island. That'd be awesome, but I think they'd need to do some serious upgrades ion the stadium. Be good for the Cosmos too if they want to jump to MLS.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Caps owner has blogged that it is supposed to come to DC in the next few years. I'm not sure how that'll hold up considering it's not terribly cold here during the winter any more.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I see NY (Rangers), Washington, Minnesota, and St. Louis as the most viable options.

I'll be pissed if its not in NY in the next few years. If the Islanders move to Brooklyn, have it at Downing Stadium on Randall's Island. That'd be awesome, but I think they'd need to do some serious upgrades ion the stadium. Be good for the Cosmos too if they want to jump to MLS.

The Islanders will not be in a Winter Classic any time soon due to attendance and ratings. (Neither will the Devils). I would guess the Rangers would host either the Bruins or the Kings.

The problem though is logistics.Yankee Stadium is out (at least until 2016) due to the Pinstripe Bowl. MetLife Stadium is plausible, but difficult due to the Giants and Jets both playing there. Red Bull is probably too small. Are they willing to "waste" the Rangers home bid and have the game in Queens?

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don't think it's as attractive a venue as Yankee Stadium. I would think if they want to put a Winter Classic in NY, they want to do it at the most famous venue.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
ah. I thought it was a suggestion that there's not a lot of Ranger fans in Queens.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Devils named Scottie Stevens their new assistant coach to work with the defense, replacing Larry Robinson. I'm starting to feel pretty good again about next year.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
does he know that blindside headshots are no longer kosher?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just don't think it's as attractive a venue as Yankee Stadium. I would think if they want to put a Winter Classic in NY, they want to do it at the most famous venue.

The New Yankee Stadium sucks. Citifield is a much nice ballpark (not saying it just cause I'm a Met fan). Citifield is also MUCH more centrally located (its pretty much the geographic center of the 5 boroughs).

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I said "attractive", I meant for TV cameras and general prestige, not necessarily for the fans in attendance (who don't matter all that much in the big picture).

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
TSN is reporting that Nash is going to the Rangers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads