Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Jul 1, 2012.

1. sonick

sonick Senior member

Man, that Atlantic Division is gonna be fun to watch next season.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

"Dubinsky, Erixson, and a 1st rounder believed to be 3 of 4 pieces included in Nash trade."

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Anisimov is the 4th piece.

I can't say this is a bad thing for the Rangers. I wasn't thrilled with a big cost to score Nash, but this doesn't touch Kreider, Stepan, or McDonagh, and the one thing that the Rangers needed more of this past playoff run was goal scoring.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Loving this deal. With Kreider emerging as the real deal (well, an NHL ready fwd), losing both Dubi and Anisimov isn't so bad. First rounder will be a late one, and Erikkson is one of many young defenseman we have in the system, not ALL of them.

5. NewYorkIslander

As far as prestige, I hear you, but the New Yankee Stadium is still in the South Bronx, while Citi is on the site of the 1964 World's Fair, and has lots of cool TV friendly shots to work with...plus, having it on Long Island would be a cool half way point between Broadway and Hempstead.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

not sure how Sather got away with this one.

And we know there were other teams in the hunt, could all of their offers have been that low? Rangers also picked up some AHL/ECHL d-man, and a 3rd round pick.

so far this offseason, the Rangers have lost Prust, Fedotenko, Dubi, and Anisimov (those are the ones who started most frequently during the regular season), but picked up Asham, Halpern, Pyatt, and now Nash. A fairly large core from last season is returning, and their youth is still there. I can't help but think they're certainly a better team now.

7. NewYorkIslander

When you look at trades, the team who "wins" the trade is the team who ends up with the best player. Right now, Rangers win this one easily, and are a better team. Only way we end up "losing" the trade if Columbus pulls a miracle out of that late 1st rounder they will draft next summer. Honestly, unless you have the No 1 pick, the draft is a crap shoot...and even then, you still may end up with garbage (Pavel Brendl, Patrick Stefan anyone?). Nash is that Number 1 draft pick come to fruition, so I'd easily trade for that.

Now, when will we hear about Shea Weber?

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Nashville matches Webers offer

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

hahaha, suck my dick tim erixon. didn't want to sign with the flames because daddy played for NYR so the flames had to trade him for spare parts or risk him getting re-drafted. now he gets shipped off to the columbus fucking blue jackets. cowtown doesn't look so bad now, does it? i dont mind the trade for either side - i think nash is somewhat overrated. at first glance i couldnt believe the larcency sather pulled off, and while the trade is still in NYR's favour i don't think its as slanted as it looks at first glance.

got my schadenfreude out of the way, good idea to match by nashville. i dont think weber really cared where he ended up; i think he cared about getting $110 mil over 14 years before the new cba came in. will this be the last of the gigantic contracts in the nhl?

10. Mr. Bananagrabber

Mr. Bananagrabber Senior member

I think the Rangers won the Nash trade, but it will all depend on how well he performs on a team with expectations. Dubinsky and Anisimov outscored Nash last year for less money. With Semin still a free agent I'd argue you are probably better off and deeper offensively signing Semin and keeping the other two than just having Nash. But who knows what Semin's deal is. Him and Torts in the same locker room would probably be quality entertainment though. With Nash traded, Bobby Ryan is probably the next best trade option that teams are looking into.

11. gort

gort Senior member

Semin signed 1-year deal with Carolina for $7 million. Blech.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

Lol at people saying carolina matters now. Semin has his paycheck - im betting he pots 25 tops.

Sent from my Vox using Tapatalk

13. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

What do you think it will take to get Semin at the deadline?

14. Mr. Bananagrabber

Mr. Bananagrabber Senior member

So are we going to have a hockey season to watch in less than 2 months? I feel like Bettman and the rest of the major players in the league are just big enough assholes to have another lockout. It seems like the profitable teams want the players to subsidize the Jackets/Yotes/Preds/Lightning/etc continued existence rather than agree to any real revenue sharing.

15. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

I think a lockout is probable. The NHL just isn't a big enough draw to make a lockout financially disastrous (NFL style) and the owners and players are miles away on some point. also, unlike Goodell who is tough but business minded, Bettman is just a moron so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on a powerplay and locks out the players, just because.