• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MyTailor (Hemrajani Bros.) Appreciation/Discussion Thread

Artigas

Reaction score

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@edinatlanta did you do a fitting garment first or was this just based off of the measurements?

Has anyone here done a basted fitting with MyTailor? Looking to make my first appointment when they visit NYC in May when they visit, and am definitely going to do a fitting garment to try and get the fit locked down in as few commissions as possible, curious if the basted garment will help speed that along for all future orders (probably a suit and a sport coat per year)

birdlives80

Reaction score
Going in May for some shirts, thinking about oxford and chambray and end on end spread collars. Spoke to their customer service rep on phone about fabrics, she was very nice.

I don’t think they carry Grandi Rubinelli, who has a great slubby chambray which used to be on proper cloth.
Anyone know where I could order that fabric for CMT?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of my first pair of pants (StyFo rite of passage mid grey fresco lol). So impressed with the quality. Great product and service

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I'm posting in this thread, I figured I might as well show this jacket, the most recent commission by Hemrajani. The cloth is a cashmere/silk blend from Loro Piana's "Summer" bunch, appropriately enough. Couldn't resist the color.

IMG_0651.jpg

birdlives80

Reaction score
Saw Joe and Divji for first time today, ordered a tux, tux shirt, and chambray dress shirt. Very nice experience, will update when I get them.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too have my first appointment with Joe and Divij in NY this week, I am looking to commission a nice, staple navy or mid-grey suit (I'm between H&S and the VBC 150s), and am curious about how to/how much direction I need to give during the process, as I've heard that with some tailors you need to be very specific and with others you should just let them make decisions based upon their house style.

I'm looking for something similar to this:

JRd2IOg.png

I was thinking of describing what I want as:

- natural shoulder with light padding, no sleeve head
- wide (~3.75") and straight lapels with a medium gorge height
- a little bit of drape in the chest per A&S house style
- lower button stance (i'm back and forth between 2 buttons and 3-roll-2 for an all purpose suit...)
- plan on bringing my best fitting pair of pants with me as a base example to improve off of

Do i need to be more/less specific? It seems that this strays a but from their 'house style' on their website but does fall within the range of some of the other stuff they've done that i've seen on this thread.

Also, has anyone had experience with doing a basted fitting option with Joe and Divij?

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too have my first appointment with Joe and Divij in NY this week, I am looking to commission a nice, staple navy or mid-grey suit (I'm between H&S and the VBC 150s), and am curious about how to/how much direction I need to give during the process, as I've heard that with some tailors you need to be very specific and with others you should just let them make decisions based upon their house style.

JRd2IOg.png

- lower button stance (i'm back and forth between 2 buttons and 3-roll-2 for an all purpose suit...)
- plan on bringing my best fitting pair of pants with me as a base example to improve off of

Do i need to be more/less specific? It seems that this strays a but from their 'house style' on their website but does fall within the range of some of the other stuff they've done that i've seen on this thread.

Also, has anyone had experience with doing a basted fitting option with Joe and Divij?

You might have to go to eastern Europe to commission that stash.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

JRd2IOg.png

Your communication of the silhouette you want will be easier to accomplish by using this picture and pointing out specifics of what you see in this jacket that appeal to you. Words mean different things to different people and what a term means to a tailor May not match with your understanding of the words you use. His response should affirm those are good choices for your body type/ physique or he will suggest something more flattering for you.
Remember a client explaining the way he liked the trouser to taper. He was very specific about his wording. The finished trouser didn’t do what he expected it to do. When we looked at a picture; what he wanted was a certain amount of break in the length when resting on his shoe but he didn’t know the term. He kept saying taper as a descriptor.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your communication of the silhouette you want will be easier to accomplish by using this picture and pointing out specifics of what you see in this jacket that appeal to you. Words mean different things to different people and what a term means to a tailor May not match with your understanding of the words you use. His response should affirm those are good choices for your body type/ physique or he will suggest something more flattering for you.
Remember a client explaining the way he liked the trouser to taper. He was very specific about his wording. The finished trouser didn’t do what he expected it to do. When we looked at a picture; what he wanted was a certain amount of break in the length when resting on his shoe but he didn’t know the term. He kept saying taper as a descriptor.

Awesome, thanks so much, I definitely have a couple of pictures that I will show and to help illustrate what I want, some of which are even previous Hemrajani garments, so hopefully that will help. If I do a trial garment instead of a basted fitting, I just want to make sure I have a way to describe my goals via email correspondence as well.

Also @Despos, if I might bug you for a stylistic opinion: what are your thoughts on 3/2 buttoning stance for the jacket and a single reverse pleat on the pants if this was to be my one suit for all occasions for the next 2 years (weddings, funerals, interviews, etc). Do you think those stylistic details are too iGent or push it too far outside of a traditional suit?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you think those stylistic details are too iGent or push it too far outside of a traditional suit?
Outside of the internet no one cares. When you leave the offices of a few industries any suit will look costumey

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks so much, I definitely have a couple of pictures that I will show and to help illustrate what I want, some of which are even previous Hemrajani garments, so hopefully that will help. If I do a trial garment instead of a basted fitting, I just want to make sure I have a way to describe my goals via email correspondence as well.

Also @Despos, if I might bug you for a stylistic opinion: what are your thoughts on 3/2 buttoning stance for the jacket and a single reverse pleat on the pants if this was to be my one suit for all occasions for the next 2 years (weddings, funerals, interviews, etc). Do you think those stylistic details are too iGent or push it too far outside of a traditional suit?
All my personal suit trousers have pleats because I like suit trousers to have pleats. May wear plain front trousers with odd jackets but don't have any plain front suit trousers.
3 roll 2 isn't such a stand out/obvious styling detail. The top button is hidden and you have to look for the buttonhole. The top buttonhole needs to be soft, no gimp. The softer it is, the less resistance it gives to the roll of the lapel. The only reason I don't prefer 3X2 is to preserve the lapel roll.
You will enjoy your suit more if you get what you like or prefer over getting what you “ought to get”. If you’re not sure, my guidance would depend on which color suit you get. 2 button if you get navy, 3x2 for a mid grey. Eventually you will have both suits and one in each style

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads