• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My T.M. Lewin shirt torn by a supermarket shelf!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found a nice replacement on sale at €15 and the supermarket reimbursed me without complaint. They also gave me a €10 groceries voucher and said the shelving had been wrongly assembled.

So there we are. No cross words were exchanged, no raised voices necessary and it's settled. And I'll carry on shopping there.

This is nice to hear - customer and store amicably resolving stuff without a fuss or instant armchair legal analysis required. We could use more of that in the US! :laugh:

tone76

Reaction score

I stepped aside a little to let a woman with a pushchair through and thus caught my shirt-sleeve. That's not being careless.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Good to hear it was sorted amicably in the end.

Last edited:

bjornb17

Reaction score
The elbows on my shirts wear out after a couple years from the rubberized armrests on my office chair. Just wear a tear, i don't expect my employer to cover the cost!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must have turned that corner rather suddenly. I hope she was cute.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
I found a nice replacement on sale at €15 and the supermarket reimbursed me without complaint. They also gave me a €10 groceries voucher and said the shelving had been wrongly assembled.

So there we are. No cross words were exchanged, no raised voices necessary and it's settled. And I'll carry on shopping there.

that is awesome customer service

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

the soles of my shoes wear out too quick, im going to write to the council to reimburse my shoes because the walkways are too rough

Have a go. But you'll have a hard time with that since shoe soles are made to make contact with the ground, whereas shirts are not designed to withstand sharp metal shelving that is poorly placed, nor is it a function of their design. Next time you try a clever comparison, better to think it through.

Last edited:

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

See, if you'd just consulted me first all this unpleasantness could have been avoided.

I think the point of advice is to consult people more knowledgeable than oneself.

Last edited:

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

The elbows on my shirts wear out after a couple years from the rubberized armrests on my office chair. Just wear a tear, i don't expect my employer to cover the cost!

Your employer also pays you to sit working in your office chair, and unless you plan to do that naked or in a t-shirt I think it falls under 'acceptable general wear and tear'. There is also a difference between 'a couple of years' and 5 seconds. Don't expect to be promoted from that office chair if you can't work this out.

bjornb17

Reaction score

Don't expect to be promoted from that office chair if you can't work this out.

No need to worry, I just was, as a matter of fact.

By the way, that is a bold comment from a person who spent 70 pounds on a TML shirt. If you can't figure that out that MSRP prices are not to be paid, then good luck in whatever future endeavours you pursue.

Last edited:

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
I didn't spend 70 pounds on it, it was a gift from someone. Which is why I was pissed off about it being torn. Listen chum, if you don't want sharp-edged replies it's best not to come out with cocky attempts at comedy one-liners instead of a useful post.

Last edited:

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you crying about a TM Lewin shirt? They are really nothing special and I don't think I've ever seen one being sold at full MSRP, they are always in the perma-sale at 50% off.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It was from England, about £70 (though it's in the online sale now at £25).

I didn't spend 70 pounds on it, it was a gift from someone.

Nobody ever pays GBP 70.00 for a TM Lewin shirt. They are always “reduced”.
When the "Spring Sale" ends, the "Early Summer Sale" will begin the very next day.

Your friend would have bought it for the sale price of GBP 25.00. It might have stated “Original Price £ 70.00”, but that's a fantasy price, put up for dunces and tourists. It is absolutely impossible to buy anything at TM Lewin (or Charles Tyrwhitt) for the “Original Price”.

Munwar

Reaction score
Last time I was at Kent, Haste and Lachter, Mr Lachter said the Lewin shirts are all made in China with cheap Chinese fabrics. It costs 4 GB pounds per shirt maximum with the volumes they're doing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics