• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Indochino Suit - should I ask for remake?

mason

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can take about an inch off the hem and and take in a bit of the waist so it has more shape, you can also take a bit off the shoulder pads.

JPhu

Reaction score
Hey StormRider,
I just got my suit today, but the jacket is too short and the arm holes are too big, although their positioning are fine. I'll have to get mine remade as well. I want to take it to the tailor and have him look at the suit for measurement purposes (how much to take off/add). Since I know I will be having the suit remade, how do I go about having the tailor check the suit if he won't be doing any alterations himself? It's a bit odd to go in and have him measure a few things knowing that in the end he will not be altering anything himself. Did your tailor charge you a fee for taking a look at the suit and measuring?

StormRider

Reaction score
I told my tailor that the changes she suggested could possibly require a remake and offered to pay for the measurements. She didn't charge me since I have been bringing her quite a bit of business lately. I suggest you do likewise.
I also asked for the exact cost for each of the alteration, and included total alteration cost in the remake request.
Best of luck.

StormRider

Reaction score
Doing the sleeve lining by hand seems quite strange for an otherwise very industrial product, especially given the Indochino price range.
In the review (video) I saw the stitching was very visible due to the wide apart stitches. Perhaps StormRiders were done more neatly and less visible.
If you pull at the lining you would see the hand stitches going a bit diagonal (this is a super macro picture, so in real life you may not spot the diagonal direction), while the machine seam will be completely hidden:

Jeffery, were you able to spot what options they had besides the standard ones like lengths and widths? More something like forward shoulder bones, strong blades and such.
Scabal has a set of options were the tailor can control where width is taken out or added, rather than just saying the final overall width. But, having such options is one thing, being able to spot where and whether or not they should be applied another.
Tailorgod, I still don't see the hand stitching. Sorry for taking so long to post the armhole photos, had to dig out my macro lens.

What do you think?

JoeStyles

Reaction score
Hey StormRider
I appreciate the post regarding your experience, I just receives my first Indochino suit yesterday and I need a remake too. The major issue is that the jacket is a few inches too short.

Since your changes could likely be covered by the $75 alteration credit I was wondering if Indochino asked you to get the pants altered by a local tailor?

My pants probably need to be lengthened by a quarter inch...I am wondering if they will ask me to do that locally....it's something I don't want to have done as I'm afraid the pants will have a permanent crease at the old hem line.

StormRider

Reaction score
Hey StormRider
I appreciate the post regarding your experience, I just receives my first Indochino suit yesterday and I need a remake too. The major issue is that the jacket is a few inches too short.

Since your changes could likely be covered by the $75 alteration credit I was wondering if Indochino asked you to get the pants altered by a local tailor?

My pants probably need to be lengthened by a quarter inch...I am wondering if they will ask me to do that locally....it's something I don't want to have done as I'm afraid the pants will have a permanent crease at the old hem line.

I was actually hoping I can fix most of the problems via alteration rather than remake. I got an itemized list of fixes from my tailor and her price quotes, and they added up to about $120 and that didn't include fixing the suit shoulder and sleeve pitch. I shared that information with Indochino in my remake request.

Regarding the pants, the best way to put the question to Indochino. If they are going to remake the suit jacket, then they should not push back on remaking the pants.

Bottom line, get an itemized estimate for the fixes from your tailor and include that information in your remake request. Also make sure you include pictures of the problem areas.

Best of luck.

tailorgod

Reaction score
StormRider: Those are hand stitches, and not very neat ones. Stitches are twice as far from each other than mine. When I saw that stitching in their promotional video (at 1:30) I thought: OK, they are trying to save time and that dude isn't probably a real tailor, but apparently, that's how they do it.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

StormRider

Reaction score
StormRider: Those are hand stitches, and not very neat ones. Stitches are twice as far from each other than mine. When I saw that stitching in their promotional video (at 1:30) I thought: OK, they are trying to save time and that dude isn't probably a real tailor, but apparently, that's how they do it.

Very interesting video, you are right, they do show the tailor hand stitching the arm hole around 1:30 mark. I hope they can make the necessary adjustment during remake to address the sleeve pitch problem.

I'm supposed to get my remake on Monday, will share some photos once I do.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting video, you are right, they do show the tailor hand stitching the arm hole around 1:30 mark. I hope they can make the necessary adjustment during remake to address the sleeve pitch problem.

I'm supposed to get my remake on Monday, will share some photos once I do.
It's a nice video, but the suits that they produce usually don't look nearly as nice. I went to the Traveling Tailor, in Chicago, and the suit that they sent me didn't fit at all. They have you try on a trail suit during the measurements and the put adjustments into your order notes. The suit that they sent to me fit EXACTLY like the trial suit. The pants waist was about 6in too big. The pants were too long. The jacket body was too full. The neck of the shirt was about 2 inches too big. They paid someone to take my measurements, but they couldn't get simple waist measurements correct? It was ridiculous.

tailorgod

Reaction score

It's a nice video, but the suits that they produce usually don't look nearly as nice. I went to the Traveling Tailor, in Chicago, and the suit that they sent me didn't fit at all. They have you try on a trail suit during the measurements and the put adjustments into your order notes. The suit that they sent to me fit EXACTLY like the trial suit. The pants waist was about 6in too big. The pants were too long. The jacket body was too full. The neck of the shirt was about 2 inches too big. They paid someone to take my measurements, but they couldn't get simple waist measurements correct? It was ridiculous.

That happens quite often when the staff doesn't consist of experienced tailors/ fitters. Not only related to Indochino.
It's a company that's relatively new in the MTM business, the staff is hired locally (I guess) and probably have been instructed poorly.

The trial suit should be in a size closest to the size you normally wear. For most companies the fit around the shoulders is the starting point and the rest of the coat gets adjusted.
I read on JefferyD's blog that they use a different sizing system, but they should know the equivalent RTW sizes.
In either case the staff should be able to spot a wrong size (too large or too tight) and correct that. For production there is a 2 % tolerance (which is caused by the sewing process. For each seam there can be a +/- 2 mm fluctuation).

StormRider

Reaction score
Just got my remake today. Much better than the original. Will let the wrinkles fall out a bit, and take a few photos tomorrow to get your feedback.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads