1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My First Indochino Suit - should I ask for remake?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StormRider, Sep 5, 2012.

1. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

That explains so much.

3. mason

mason Well-Known Member

You can take about an inch off the hem and and take in a bit of the waist so it has more shape, you can also take a bit off the shoulder pads.

4. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

Got shipping notice for my remake, will post pictures once I get it next week.

5. JPhu

JPhu Member

Hey StormRider,
    I just got my suit today, but the jacket is too short and the arm holes are too big, although their positioning are fine. I'll have to get mine remade as well. I want to take it to the tailor and have him look at the suit for measurement purposes (how much to take off/add). Since I know I will be having the suit remade, how do I go about having the tailor check the suit if he won't be doing any alterations himself? It's a bit odd to go in and have him measure a few things knowing that in the end he will not be altering anything himself. Did your tailor charge you a fee for taking a look at the suit and measuring?

6. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

I told my tailor that the changes she suggested could possibly require a remake and offered to pay for the measurements. She didn't charge me since I have been bringing her quite a bit of business lately. I suggest you do likewise.
    I also asked for the exact cost for each of the alteration, and included total alteration cost in the remake request.
    Best of luck.

7. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

Tailorgod, I still don't see the hand stitching. Sorry for taking so long to post the armhole photos, had to dig out my macro lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

8. JoeStyles

JoeStyles Member

Hey StormRider
    I appreciate the post regarding your experience, I just receives my first Indochino suit yesterday and I need a remake too. The major issue is that the jacket is a few inches too short.

Since your changes could likely be covered by the $75 alteration credit I was wondering if Indochino asked you to get the pants altered by a local tailor?

My pants probably need to be lengthened by a quarter inch...I am wondering if they will ask me to do that locally....it's something I don't want to have done as I'm afraid the pants will have a permanent crease at the old hem line.

9. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

I was actually hoping I can fix most of the problems via alteration rather than remake. I got an itemized list of fixes from my tailor and her price quotes, and they added up to about $120 and that didn't include fixing the suit shoulder and sleeve pitch. I shared that information with Indochino in my remake request.

Regarding the pants, the best way to put the question to Indochino. If they are going to remake the suit jacket, then they should not push back on remaking the pants.

Bottom line, get an itemized estimate for the fixes from your tailor and include that information in your remake request. Also make sure you include pictures of the problem areas.

Best of luck.

10. tailorgod

tailorgod Senior member

StormRider: Those are hand stitches, and not very neat ones. Stitches are twice as far from each other than mine. When I saw that stitching in their promotional video (at 1:30) I thought: OK, they are trying to save time and that dude isn't probably a real tailor, but apparently, that's how they do it.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  11. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

12. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

Very interesting video, you are right, they do show the tailor hand stitching the arm hole around 1:30 mark. I hope they can make the necessary adjustment during remake to address the sleeve pitch problem.

I'm supposed to get my remake on Monday, will share some photos once I do.

13. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

It's a nice video, but the suits that they produce usually don't look nearly as nice. I went to the Traveling Tailor, in Chicago, and the suit that they sent me didn't fit at all. They have you try on a trail suit during the measurements and the put adjustments into your order notes. The suit that they sent to me fit EXACTLY like the trial suit. The pants waist was about 6in too big. The pants were too long. The jacket body was too full. The neck of the shirt was about 2 inches too big. They paid someone to take my measurements, but they couldn't get simple waist measurements correct? It was ridiculous.

14. tailorgod

tailorgod Senior member

That happens quite often when the staff doesn't consist of experienced tailors/ fitters. Not only related to Indochino.
    It's a company that's relatively new in the MTM business, the staff is hired locally (I guess) and probably have been instructed poorly.

The trial suit should be in a size closest to the size you normally wear. For most companies the fit around the shoulders is the starting point and the rest of the coat gets adjusted.
    I read on JefferyD's blog that they use a different sizing system, but they should know the equivalent RTW sizes.
    In either case the staff should be able to spot a wrong size (too large or too tight) and correct that. For production there is a 2 % tolerance (which is caused by the sewing process. For each seam there can be a +/- 2 mm fluctuation).

15. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

Just got my remake today. Much better than the original. Will let the wrinkles fall out a bit, and take a few photos tomorrow to get your feedback.

16. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Damn man, 113 of your 114 posts are you retelling the same story over and over again lol.

17. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

Here are the photos.

What do you think?

Shirt + Pants
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Suit:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

not awful....
    what is the story with the cuffs on the shirt.
    they are way to long.

the suit jacket has issues.
    but your work friends would never notice,
    but since we are picking it apart.

your left low shoulder caused some issues up by the notch of the lapel
    the back of the suits is off.

and the sleeve on your left is still breaking because they could not rotate the sleeve.

you must have some posture issues that are not showing up in photos.
    or else indochino's patterns are not well blanced.

19. JoeStyles

JoeStyles Member

Much better than the first. Looks great! Some wrinkles on the upper arms which I assume is due to keeping your arm very straight for photos.

20. JoeStyles

JoeStyles Member

Stormrider,
    Quick question about the remake process....

Were you able to track your remake in the same way you can track your original order on you account page? Indochino has not been non-responsive and I don't know what's going on with my order now.