• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Chan suits

hmhill

Reaction score
Because of this forum and AAAC I decided to try Chan when he visited Dallas in July 2005. The first is a Navy VBC 130s.

NavySuit01.jpg
NavySuit02.jpg
NavySuit03.jpg

The second suit is a charcoal H & S 120s that I order in Austin in 2006. Because of the recommedations from this forum I shorten the sleeves and lenghten the coat a little and the pants a little.

GraySuit01.jpg
GraySuit02.jpg
GraySuit03.jpg

It seems that the sleeves are still a little uneven. I also i have pants with side tabs and brace buttons, but no brace extensions. Should I have Patrick add them? I will meeting him on Monday in Dallas.

I am planning on getting a muted Glenurquhart suit for my next suit.

Thank you for your advice.

Max

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Lookin' sharp. It does look like the sleeves are slightly uneven, but not by much. Based on the pictures, it looks like your left arm may be slightly longer than your right, and it almost looks like they overcompensated by leaving a hair too much extra length on that sleeve. Have you tried measuring "up" from the tip of your thumb to where the sleeve falls and comparing the left and right measurements? (I'm not actually knowledgeable to tell you what to do with the information this exercise might yield, but it seems like a very sophisticated SF-type thing to do.)

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NavySuit03.jpg

This jacket is too short, Max.

hmhill

Reaction score
Tomasso,

The suit was posted was the first suit and I ask him to lengthen the second suit. The navy suit was 31 3/4 inches from bottom of collar and the charcoal suit was 32 1/4.

Do you think it still needs to be longer.

Your opinion is appreciated.

Max

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hmhill

The navy suit was 31 3/4 inches from bottom of collar and the charcoal suit was 32 1/4.

Do you think it still needs to be longer.

The blue suit jacket looks more than a half inch shorter than the charcoal but the tape doesn't lie. In any event, it's not covering your rear end sufficiently. The length of the charcoal jacket looks good.

hmhill

Reaction score
Tomasso

You have a good eye, either I mis-measure or forgot the measurement between the time I measure and type in the measurement. Either way, I re-measure and it's closer to 32 1/2.

Thanks again

Max

DandySF

Reaction score
When I met with Patrick, from Chan, we discussed the ideal jacket length. His preference is for the jacket to strike a visual balance between the upper and lower halves of the body. He doesn't rely on arbitrary measurements, but uses his eye to figure out what will compensate for legs or a torso that may be too long. I'm pretty sure he said that the distance between the bottom of the jacket and the floor should be about equal to the distance between the bottom of the jacket and the shoulders.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit is good in many ways, but the shoulders look too built-up. It's the biggest problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads