• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My Chan suits

hmhill

Reaction score
Because of this forum and AAAC I decided to try Chan when he visited Dallas in July 2005. The first is a Navy VBC 130s.

The second suit is a charcoal H & S 120s that I order in Austin in 2006. Because of the recommedations from this forum I shorten the sleeves and lenghten the coat a little and the pants a little.

It seems that the sleeves are still a little uneven. I also i have pants with side tabs and brace buttons, but no brace extensions. Should I have Patrick add them? I will meeting him on Monday in Dallas.

I am planning on getting a muted Glenurquhart suit for my next suit.

Thank you for your advice.

Max

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lookin' sharp. It does look like the sleeves are slightly uneven, but not by much. Based on the pictures, it looks like your left arm may be slightly longer than your right, and it almost looks like they overcompensated by leaving a hair too much extra length on that sleeve. Have you tried measuring "up" from the tip of your thumb to where the sleeve falls and comparing the left and right measurements? (I'm not actually knowledgeable to tell you what to do with the information this exercise might yield, but it seems like a very sophisticated SF-type thing to do.)

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This jacket is too short, Max.

hmhill

Reaction score
Tomasso,

The suit was posted was the first suit and I ask him to lengthen the second suit. The navy suit was 31 3/4 inches from bottom of collar and the charcoal suit was 32 1/4.

Do you think it still needs to be longer.

Your opinion is appreciated.

Max

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hmhill

The navy suit was 31 3/4 inches from bottom of collar and the charcoal suit was 32 1/4.

Do you think it still needs to be longer.

The blue suit jacket looks more than a half inch shorter than the charcoal but the tape doesn't lie. In any event, it's not covering your rear end sufficiently. The length of the charcoal jacket looks good.

hmhill

Reaction score
Tomasso

You have a good eye, either I mis-measure or forgot the measurement between the time I measure and type in the measurement. Either way, I re-measure and it's closer to 32 1/2.

Thanks again

Max

DandySF

Reaction score
When I met with Patrick, from Chan, we discussed the ideal jacket length. His preference is for the jacket to strike a visual balance between the upper and lower halves of the body. He doesn't rely on arbitrary measurements, but uses his eye to figure out what will compensate for legs or a torso that may be too long. I'm pretty sure he said that the distance between the bottom of the jacket and the floor should be about equal to the distance between the bottom of the jacket and the shoulders.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit is good in many ways, but the shoulders look too built-up. It's the biggest problem.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40