• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sir James
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With that said, I share the opinion that has been stated that the Canali shoes are somewhat unattractive. The wing tip portion of the shoe appears to be too close to the front edge and out of proportion with the rest of the shoe.

I should have given a better detail of what I liked and wanted from the Canali because, like a lot of readers here, there are aspects I don't care for:

1. I like "wingtip" as-is on the boot. The Canali's is too thin in proportion to the rest of the shoe. However, I do like that the Canali's wingtip wraps the length of the front and connects below the vamp
2. I like the Canali's pattern from the vamp back. By that I mean the second layer around the vamp that wraps all the way to the back (is that an "apron"?).
3. I also much like the studded brogue'ing long the edges on the Canali, but will do without the medallion.

Of course all this is tough to describe in thin air, so - with just enough graphics skills to be dangerous - I think I'm going to take a stab tomorrow at visually mocking up what I'm thinking of. If I can make something worth looking at, I'll post it. Stay tuned.

While I'm not afraid of going against the grain, if the consensus here is "mistake", I'll be thinking longer and harder about pursuing it.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Amar ezzahi
...which is not very hard.

this sucks

better bring your own
fight[1].gif

Borrelli

Reaction score
In contact with CR now. He can make a modified last to suit my high instep, i.e. build up some extra thickness on the last. I will be using a sample shoe to assess fit first, a shoe which he will make out of scrap leather. I think this will be the way to go for me instead of the hit and miss with RTW. Derby shoes are less problematic for me, but I would like my oxfords to fit properly and not have a big V shaped gap at the laces.

First shoe will probably be a double monk based on the EG Westminster. I really like the idea of working in this way and getting the styles I want in a good fit.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
While I'm not afraid of going against the grain, if the consensus here is "mistake", I'll be thinking longer and harder about pursuing it.

Why on earth would you give a rats a$$ about what a bunch of anonymous people on the internet think. If you like it, go for it. What you want or like is the only thing that matters.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
Why on earth would you give a rats a$$ about what a bunch of anonymous people on the internet think. If you like it, go for it. What you want or like is the only thing that matters.

Because I'm willing to entertain the notion that I might not be being objective about it. I'll admit that, barring the proportions of the wingtip, I'm enthralled with the rest of the Canali's design - but maybe I'm just attracted to the concept.

Part of the reason I was looking for input was because I wasn't sure if it would even translate well to a boot - meaning I could "go for it" and get it exactly as I had hoped only to realize I didn't like what I made - that's why I was soliciting input before even getting started. And, I wouldn't have asked for it if I wasn't going to weigh it.

Do note that I said "I'd think long and hard about it"; regardless of the consensus, I'm not ruling it out.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2c (and counting).

All feedback welcome.

emptym

Reaction score
Yes, they really are tall. I like them. Would be great for motorcycling.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're from Rider Boots, and I worked with Ron to come up with the pattern. I haven't seen them IRL yet, so I'm interested to see whether they're really that tall. Looking forward to getting them. The turnaround was six months - three to work out the design, and three to get them made (including the Christmas break in Italy.)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Interesting design. Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure you'll look good in them.

+1

probably "tall" for a dress boot, but imo not for a boot in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads