• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Wrigglez...good luck with your Clifford Roberts Odyssey

The below pics are of my sample test shoe. Since I desire a more ornamental design...Clifford suggested we try a test shoe to see how the bespoke last fits. That we we minimize having to finish my order, only to send it back for further fittings/adjustments due to the fit of the last.

For those who have done a sample test shoe with Clifford, when using your bespoke last, please give us an update on how you handled adjustments? Was it done in person or via e-mail if it couldn't be in person?

[/IMG]

Michael, last looks nice - good luck!!!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
Intresting test shoe, i oppted not to as it would cost a fortune to send it backwards and fowards to australia to adjustments. eg $120 postages each time. If i did, i would have seeked the wisdom of DWF or Marcell as to how the shoe should fit exactily.

you ask a different maker? please elaborate.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The below pics are of my sample test shoe. Since I desire a more ornamental design...Clifford suggested we try a test shoe to see how the last fits...

For those who have done a sample test shoe with Clifford, when using your bespoke last, please give us an update on how you handled adjustments? Was it done in person or via e-mail if it couldn't be in person.

a very clever approach.

"my" rule of thumb, a first order is best handled in person, whether its cliff or any other maker.

for an "advanced user" like you michael. it might work via several phone calls. imo, forget the email idea. you can exchange sketches, but you have to talk.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
well from what i understand, and no offence if i'm wrong, but cliff is a shoe maker, not a last maker. Both DW and Marcell have made many lasts for feet, thus they should know more about how a shoe should fit than i do. That was my logic anyway.

Xenon

Reaction score

The below pics are of my sample test shoe. Since I desire a more ornamental design...Clifford suggested we try a test shoe to see how the bespoke last fits. That we we minimize having to finish my order, only to send it back for further fittings/adjustments due to the fit of the last.

For those who have done a sample test shoe with Clifford, when using your bespoke last, please give us an update on how you handled adjustments? Was it done in person or via e-mail if it couldn't be in person?

Michael Ay is that test pair made with the upper that will be used to build final shoe or scrap leather that does not need to be sent back to Cliff? Also did you ask Cliff for photos or doe she send automatically

If changes are needed can cliff modify last or does the last have to be sent back to maker (me in my case). For instance if last is too tight in certain areas is Cliff willing to add tape to build up?

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
A SF member's balmoral. Just finished yesterday.

dsc_0952.jpg

dsc_0948.jpg

Teou

Reaction score
This is an awesome thread in which I actually read from the 1st post till the last.

I made some enquires with Cliff.

Anyone able to do a comparison between C&J's Lowndes double monk last and Church's 119?

The latter fits like a glove. Thanks!

Wrigglez

Reaction score
WOW marcel 11 out of 10
bigstar[1].gif

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are heels taller at the very back of the boot than at the instep?

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Are heels taller at the very back of the boot than at the instep?

Yes! They are. That depends on the last geometry and style.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcellHUN
Yes! They are. That depends on the last geometry and style.
I like that. I found such "slanted" heels very comfortble. Seems like it would be a logical decision to make such heel, but unfortunately very few makers implement that feature. Out of 40+ pairs of shoes that I own, only one pair has that slanted heel.
frown.gif

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
Michael Ay is that test pair made with the upper that will be used to build final shoe or scrap leather that does not need to be sent back to Cliff? Also did you ask Cliff for photos or doe she send automatically

If changes are needed can cliff modify last or does the last have to be sent back to maker (me in my case). For instance if last is too tight in certain areas is Cliff willing to add tape to build up?

The upper is only a test and will not be the upper for my first bespoke shoe

If I have problems with the shoe, I will notify Clifford and possibly send it back...unless I'm able to visit Northampton and discuss it with him in person (very unlikely)

If the last is problematic, I will by e-mail notify him of my issues...I have no idea how we will be able to work out any issues or have Springline (the actual last maker) make any adjustments.

I know others on this thread have made adjustments to their Springline last after trying on a pair of shoes that Clifford made them...perhaps they can better answer your question

ville_e

Reaction score
For those of you with Vass and Cliff's shoes. Are the sizes the same? For ex. is a size 45EUR in Vass the same in Cliff's shoes? Thanks!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads