• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots (or MTO Goodyear-welted Footwear in Vietnam)

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bentley
These look nice...but I don't see the point of going bespoke for a pair of shoes that look not unlike many RTW shoes you could buy from a high quality shoe maker for much less money.

Unless you've got oddly sized/shaped feet or you're getting a super-good deal from your un-named source, I don't see the point.

Just sayin'.

This being Vietnam, I am quite sure the prices are much better than those RTW shoes from established shoemakers. I'm sure the OP is much more intelligent than you put it.

orlagu

Reaction score
Actually at this time the shoemaker is not ready for taking online, inbound individual, non-contract orders yet, so he prefers me not revealing the price. However we are trying to work things out, and hopefully could bring some good news for you guys in the near future.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlagu
Actually at this time the shoemaker is not ready for taking online, inbound individual, non-contract orders yet, so he prefers me not revealing the price. However we are trying to work things out, and hopefully could bring some good news for you guys in the near future.

Where is he located, exactly?

orlagu

Reaction score
Same city as I am, Hochiminh City, Vietnam.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds good and promising. Thanks for keeping us all in touch on this subject. I look forward to (potential) good news.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful boots!

oranjes

Reaction score
I placed my MTO derby boots with this shoemakers 3 weeks ago. ********* up my order (Alden last instead of EG 82; full grain leather instead of pebble grain) but generally I feel satisfied. This is how it turn out.
IMG_8780r.jpg
IMG_8781r.jpg
IMG_8779r.jpg
IMG_8583r.jpg

orlagu

Reaction score
Latest addition, from original model of Edward Green Alderley, but in 82 last. Photos were taken after some polishing and self-antiquing with Saphir shoe cream, Kenda Farben antiqua finishing cream and a lot of elbow greases. Background is some British mid-blue wool I won off eBay for cheap.

Updated with better lighting/angles photos:

DSCN2589-1.jpg

I gotta improve my antiquing skill, I know:
DSCN2591-1.jpg

SF's mandatory 69-position shot:
DSCN2593.jpg

Dainite soles, not as pretty as the Made in England ones, but could do an equally fine job I guess:
DSCN2595.jpg

Have a nice weekend
smile.gif
!

yeungjai

Reaction score
Same city as I am, Hochiminh City, Vietnam.

Ick :< I always cringe when I see Ho Chi Minh used in place of Saigon. You know what it is!

Lovely boots by the way. Is there any chance you could provide a Vietnamese name? I have relatives still in the city...

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest addition, from original model of Edward Green Alderley, but in 82 last. Photos were taken after some polishing and self-antiquing with Saphir shoe cream, Kenda Farben antiqua finishing cream and a lot of elbow greases. Background is some British mid-blue wool I won off eBay for cheap.

DSCN2589.jpg

DSCN2591.jpg

DSCN2593.jpg

Dainite soles, not as pretty as the Made in England ones, but could do an equally fine job I guess:
DSCN2595.jpg

Have a nice weekend
smile.gif
!

You lucky bugger! You have access to such good quality--and cheap--footwear! Still waiting for any good news from you re: this shoemaker.

orlagu

Reaction score
Got a client event coming up next week, the kind that requires suits and fine footwear. Client is the CEO/Chairman of a well-known US-based global corporation in IT industry, and by the look of him I'll say he's quite Trad. So now I'm torn between this
DSCN2589-1.jpg
DSCN2591-1.jpg
DSCN2593.jpg
DSCN2595.jpg

and my newly acquired MTO Corthay Vendome-modeled full brogue:
DSCN0082.jpg
DSCN0084.jpg
DSCN0089.jpg
FWIW, suit is a notch lapeled half-canvassed quarter-lined 3-roll-2 bespoke SB in dark navy with mute PoW checks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads