• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My adventure in oxford shoes recraft!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oh there's plenty of Japanese bespoke makers around, I think most of them have been mentioned here on SF.

Too bad the strong yen make their pretty shoe less enticing for international buyers :dozingoff:

Fukuda Yohei apprenticed under Ian Wood (Lobb London), and worked at the bespoke department in EG and Cleverley.
His style is decidedly Cleverley's, with all that chisel toe, continental waist, twisted last details.
check out his website,http://yoheifukuda.jp/ (slow site, but worth it)

mind blowingly beautiful.
these are def up there with Delos. perhaps even superior to Spigola.
But if I understand the site correctly MTO starts at about US$3k and bespoke at about US $4k.

and yet it's tempting:drool:

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and this

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and this for god's sake - a mere shoebox

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I got my laces made at Isetan Men's in Tokyo. Was able to choose shape (round/flat), color, metal finish, and length, and they were made to order (took like 1 hr or so). Ready made color shoe laces are widely available at fine shoe store / repair stores in Tokyo, but unfortunately, I don't think any of them cater to overseas mail order.

You might want to try Tassels in Hong Kong, they offer "Shoestripes" color laces. Leathersoul in Hawaii also carries color laces from Japan. I am not sure if any of them comes in flat laces, or metal tips though.

The Leather Soul ones are very disappointing skinny things - well made - but unsuitable for most shoes IMO. But that MTO thing is awesome. To think I went there every week for years in the airlines but no SF devotee in those days so no idea so much was available. I remember buying fabulous stuff for my kids though....:embar:

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mind blowingly beautiful.
these are def up there with Delos. perhaps even superior to Spigola.
But if I understand the site correctly MTO starts at about US$3k and bespoke at about US $4k.

and yet it's tempting:drool:

There are several other English trained Bespoke makers in Japan, most famous is probably Yamaguchi Chihiro from Guild of Crafts. Another one is less known, but a talented lady maestro, Yukiko Okawa, (who was the first Japanese to ever apprentice at Lobb London :wow:)

but Fukuda probably has the most pedigree out of them, I think. and yes, the strong yen makes them soo expensive :uhoh:

Guild (Yamaguchi): http://www.footwear.co.jp/entop.html
Benchmade (Yukiko Bessett Okawa): http://www.benchmade.jp/home/index2.html

But there are plenty of semi-bespoke, hand last, hand sewn welted shoes available from Japanese makers for $2000 or less. Probably in line with Gomez' Bottier line, and St.Crispins I think.

My favorite for 100,000 yen ($1200) - 200,000 ($2400) yen range should be Osamu Egawa (O.E.).

In Japan, a JLP Prestige line costs 210,000 yen ($2500), and EG Top Drawer is also up there. So yeah, these semi-bespoke Japanese shoes are priced competitively in Japan :D

Osamu Egawa: http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~snug

One-piece wholecuts with funny slits. Among my favorite designs by Egawa.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:

that is
inlove.gif
. the color is grey right? i would love to own such beautiful shoe

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are several other English trained Bespoke makers in Japan, most famous is probably Yamaguchi Chihiro from Guild of Crafts. Another one is less known, but a talented lady maestro, Yukiko Okawa, (who was the first Japanese to ever apprentice at Lobb London :wow:)

but Fukuda probably has the most pedigree out of them, I think. and yes, the strong yen makes them soo expensive :uhoh:

Guild (Yamaguchi): http://www.footwear.co.jp/entop.html
Benchmade (Yukiko Bessett Okawa): http://www.benchmade.jp/home/index2.html

But there are plenty of semi-bespoke, hand last, hand sewn welted shoes available from Japanese makers for $2000 or less. Probably in line with Gomez' Bottier line, and St.Crispins I think.

My favorite for 100,000 yen ($1200) - 200,000 ($2400) yen range should be Osamu Egawa (O.E.).

In Japan, a JLP Prestige line costs 210,000 yen ($2500), and EG Top Drawer is also up there. So yeah, these semi-bespoke Japanese shoes are priced competitively in Japan :D

Osamu Egawa: http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~snug

One-piece wholecuts with funny slits. Among my favorite designs by Egawa.

hey thanks, this is very informative.
I'd love to see a thread devoted to these Japanese makers. To my mind they have a style all their own. Extreme attention to detail and finishing. High instep and tight bevelled waists. The Japanese aesthetic - delight in things small and delicate, obsession with formality, great color sense - combined with the strong artisan tradition (in wood carving, miniature painting, sword making etc ) is perfect for making shoes. If you have some Nutcracker love to see more.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Leather Soul ones are very disappointing skinny things - well made - but unsuitable for most shoes IMO. But that MTO thing is awesome. To think I went there every week for years in the airlines but no SF devotee in those days so no idea so much was available. I remember buying fabulous stuff for my kids though....:embar:

These are NOT from Isetan Men's where I got my laces, but a sample from Tokyo shoeshine boutique Brift H. They also do custom laces

Choice of colors, round/flat, and metal tips

Velvet Laces :wow:

Sateen Shoe laces :wow:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
These are NOT from Isetan Men's where I got my laces, but a sample from Tokyo shoeshine boutique Brift H. They also do custom laces

Choice of colors, round/flat, and metal tips

Velvet Laces
wow.gif

Sateen Shoe laces
wow.gif
is there anywhere in NYC i can pick up such cool stuff?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those laces are incredible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads