• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My $1 Dior suit. Help me learn more about it!

spbeaurain

Reaction score
So a lil while ago at the local thrift stores $1 clothes day I came across a three piece Dior suit that actually fits! However I havent been able to suss out much info out of it other than its possibly from the 60's, with Horn Buttons, virgin wool and came from Walla Walla. 😅
Would any of you be as so kind to check out the pics I took and let me know if it is in fact a Dior? Is it as nice as it seems, cause it seems really well made and in excellent condition. Finally, is it possibly worth anything if it is authentic? Cant find much close to it online for price comparisons.

Any insight into my favorite thrift store find would be awesome!
Many Thanks,
Shaun
PXL_20230324_220712615.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only see one photo and it’s not especially helpful. There was a time when many luxury manufacturers licensed their names to cheap manufacturers that produced “diffusion” lines.

spbeaurain

Reaction score
Ahwoops. There was supposed to be more than that, my bad! Attempt two! 😅
PXL_20230324_220516276.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230324_215504030.jpg
PXL_20230324_220503211.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230324_220529745.PORTRAIT.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the label indicates, this jacket was made in the U.S. by HSM, a Chicago clothing manufacturer with a long history. It’s now owned by the same company that owns Brooks Brothers, Reebok and many other brands, and I think most of their stuff is now made in Asia.

HSM had many lines and levels of quality, and they bought up competitors like Hickey Freeman. Chicago son Barack Obama famously wore their suits although I believe his were bespoke.

In the 1970s HSM did licensing deals with luxury European brands like Dior. I assume the Walla Walla reference is to a store in that city which originally sold the garment. Yes, there was a time in ancient history when even Walla Walla would have had a locally owned tailored clothing retailer, such as a menswear shop or department store.

It’s hard to judge the quality without handling the suit, but it’s probably a lower tier—the customer base in eastern Washington state would have been local lawyers or community bankers, not Wall Street titans. The style looks to be 1980s when the 3-piece power suit was popular, coupled with that low lapel gorge.

If it fits you (possibly with alterations) and you like it, enjoy it, and pay no attention to the labels.

Last edited:

spbeaurain

Reaction score
Oooh love the ad, thanks a lot for sharing it! Also thanks for the great info about the companies behind it. Neat knowing HSM bought up Hickey Freeman because I also own a HF suit.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but using guides like the one on this site, wouldn't the union label make it earlier than the 80s? The tag also looks similar to one suit i have that's labeled from 1975

I'm curious to learn as much as I can about my thrift store suits (Up to 20 now) because I am a custodian at a high school and like to wear them for events. When people compliment the suit, I like to throw out some fun facts about it if I have any.
I asked about this Dior because it felt the most "Luxury Brand" to my limited knowledge. This or my Yves St Laurent.
So if anyone has any more info on it, Id love to hear it. :)
And the suit fits amazing as is with no alterations, nice feeling sturdy fabric as well.

Many Thanks
Shaun

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
walla walla has a couple universities iirc and just a few miles from the manhattan project hanford site , a bit of a postwar boomtown not surprising for it to have a mens dept store

spbeaurain

Reaction score
Was feeling cute so I threw it on and took a couple quick pics in the colors of the school I work at. Blue and white.
Yes this is how I dress to empty garbage cans and clean bathrooms at a High School. 😁
Jacket is fully canvased with a single vent. Vest doesn't have an adjuster strap, for what that's worth.
No size tag on it's but I'm a 38r or 40r.

PXL_20230326_073906475.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230326_073949985.PORTRAIT.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oooh love the ad, thanks a lot for sharing it! Also thanks for the great info about the companies behind it. Neat knowing HSM bought up Hickey Freeman because I also own a HF suit.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but using guides like the one on this site, wouldn't the union label make it earlier than the 80s? The tag also looks similar to one suit i have that's labeled from 1975

I'm curious to learn as much as I can about my thrift store suits (Up to 20 now) because I am a custodian at a high school and like to wear them for events. When people compliment the suit, I like to throw out some fun facts about it if I have any.
I asked about this Dior because it felt the most "Luxury Brand" to my limited knowledge. This or my Yves St Laurent.
So if anyone has any more info on it, Id love to hear it. :)
And the suit fits amazing as is with no alterations, nice feeling sturdy fabric as well.

Many Thanks
Shaun
Yes that could be correct about the union label date, I was only guessing as to the age. And the lapel gorge is not as low as I thought now that I see you wearing it so it’s not inspired by that Armani look that dominated during the 80s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads