• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Suit by Shanghai C & G fashion - help me choose style options

Sleeprequired

Reaction score
I have a wedding coming up and i need to order a few suits however i'll limit the conversation to mine as the others are straight forward. I'll throw out a few facts about myself in the aim of getting the best advice possible.

- i'm 6ft and 115kg and carry all my weight up top in my chest/upper body and stomach
- i'm getting married in 20c weather and looking to keep cool by having a 3 piece and only wearing the jacket when required
- this is my first MTM so i'm going to spend around 6-800 and then maybe get some better suits after this suit is adjusted
- at this point in going for hudderfield cloth on advice i've received

I really like the Tom Ford style and want to know what to ask for to get a suit like this - http://marshallmatlock.com/wp-conte...bs/thumbs_three piece suit, stylin on you.jpg

what do i need to specify? do as much detail as you like because the style guide i got with it is 50 pages long :)

Also what about pants? I have no idea on this at all and there's HEAPS of options there too.

I'm also conscious of a 2 button suit sitting strangely like this - http://trendseve.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/designer-collection-by-tom-ford-men-suits.jpg

how can i make sure i avoid this trap?
Looking at measurement guides, things like 'base of the neck' & 'where the planes of the arm and shoulder meet' are a little unclear to me, is there a dummies guide to measuring that will help with a little more explanation for the suit noob?

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, where are these "50 pages" of style guide.

I assume that you are having MTM and so you would be best placed taking a photograph of what you think you want: However MTM is about altering standard blocks to fit you, not your specifying the style so your chosen supplier may not have access. Only Tom Ford makes 'Tom Ford' designs although some might copy it. Hong Kong bespoke makers are best at that.

It is a while since I dragged this out here so here is a check list of detail for your commission.

Check list - suit.

Coat

Where I have put a * these you should really have, the others are choices. There are obviously many other styles and features you can have but of the classic everyday business style:

High arm holes
Single/Double breast?
If single, 3, 2 or 1 button?
Roll of lapel - just where?
Peak lapel or notch (SB)
If double breasted, button one (4 x 1) or two (6 x2)?
4 working cuff buttons*
Colour of lining - contrast or match. Satin or polyester?? satin lining, an ermazine (satin viscose) or a twill: Shot satin?
Straight or 'slant/hacking’ side pockets with or without flaps?
Outside ticket pocket?
Ticket pocket inside either or both side pockets?
Outside ticket pocket?
Lapel button hole and flower stem 'cord' behind*
Ensure that the right amount of shirt cuff shows*
Side/centre or no vents
Inside pockets - how many and where placed? I currently have 8.
• Do you want any to fasten – zip or button/flap
• What size? Specify
• Do you use two breast pockets? It is certainly now a good idea to have a cell phone pocket as well as a ticket pocket: Think where you want it - not where others would.
• More than 2 ticket pockets?
• Pen pocket (s)
Your name embroidered inside?

Trousers

Braces?
Belt or side adjusters/extension band?
If braces how high a rise (can vary by choice) Fishtail back or not? (Preferred with very high rise)
French bearer
Zip fly or button?
Turn ups?
Pleats? One or two forward or reverse?
Width of bottoms
Half lined legs
Lined?
On seam or slant side pockets?
Coin pocket inside either or both side pockets
Fob pocket? - what style i.e. in waistband or outside and below with flap or button/hole?
Back pockets? - 1, 2 or none? If yes how do you prefer them to fasten, button through (preferable) or flap/button or tab/button. Concealed button is another option. Double jetted with button/hole look best I think.

Waistcoat/vest

-do you want a vest at all
-single-breasted or double-breasted
-if single, five or six buttons?
-lapels or no lapels?
-hole for watch chain?
Number of pockets?

There are many views here about all these. Some people tend to have a fairly firm few which tends to be from days gone by. These are things - such as braces are a must: they have advantages on 'hang' of the trouser but not everyone wants to have braces visible when they remove their jacket - that is for you although they are not terribly practical today and I would recommend the practical in this instance.

I would suggest that you take this list and a current suit and just draw up a list based on this lot that you want. Some of the houses can be a little prescriptive and try to persuade first timers into the cutters thoughts, not what he wants.

You decide and then stick to your guns. It is your suit and you should get the pleasure out of it

Sleeprequired

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks for trying to help. I'm about to place my order and I can use all the help i can get. The pressure is on, i'm getting 5 suits and i've got some skeptical people, however Amy @ Shanghai comes highly recommended so it's down to my ability to specify correctly.

Quote:
I can send it to you if you like, it covers the Jacket, Vest, Pants & shirts

Quote:
They are a bespoke tailor and will cut a pattern based on my measurements, however there are no multiple fittings due to location etc. I linked to what i like here, and was going to get advice around that... Mind you it's not so much the material as the style.

Quote:
So essentially, what do i need to ask for specifically to get an outcome like this? Wider Lapels? etc etc

Quote:
I'm going for that photo i linked, unless i'm making any really obvious mistakes. I'll be wearing a vest while the others are in a 2 piece. Firstly to separate the groom, and secondly because i'll have my jacket off most of the time and want to still look smart.

The Style guide actually covers most of these things below, however i'll list those it doesn't. I'm basically trying to replicate that suit i linked to in the OP which is Tom Ford, or receive advice on why that should not be case

High Arm Holes? - What does this achieve?
If single, 3, 2 or 1 button? 2 button but i want to avoid this sort of thing - http://trendseve.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/designer-collection-by-tom-ford-men-suits.jpg
Roll of lapel - just where? What's your recommendation? I'm a big bloke and carry all my weight up top, what would you recommend. I'm 37 but pretty outgoing as well if that helps with style
Peak lapel or notch (SB) - as per that suit - notch - how big should they be given i'm quite broad across the chest?
4 working cuff buttons* - yes
Colour of lining - all good here i know what i want to do
Outside ticket pocket? that's above the flap pockets right? I was thinking 2 normal pockets then a pocket above in the same fabric. looks cool i think.
Lapel button hole and flower stem 'cord' behind* - gotcha
Ensure that the right amount of shirt cuff shows* - wow, ok what's the best way to achieve this.. i've taken all the measurements but this, given i don't have any prior suits to base it off, worries me
Side/centre or no vents - side vents i believe is best right?
Inside pockets - how many and where placed? I currently have 8.
• Do you want any to fasten – I think zip
• What size? What would that link specify?
• Do you use two breast pockets? It is certainly now a good idea to have a cell phone pocket as well as a ticket pocket: Think where you want it - not where others would.
• More than 2 ticket pockets?
• Pen pocket (s)
Your name embroidered inside?

Trousers

Braces? i don't think so, not with a vest? what's the norm here?
Belt or side adjusters/extension band? now this one i'm not sure on, i would have thought a belt was normal with a suit. Can i get some thoughts here
If braces how high a rise (can vary by choice) Fishtail back or not? (Preferred with very high rise)
French bearer
Zip fly or button?
Turn ups?
Pleats? no
Width of bottoms - i wouldn't know enough to specifiy
Half lined legs - yes
Lined?
On seam or slant side pockets? - i wouldn't know enough to specifiy
Coin pocket inside either or both side pockets - i wouldn't know enough to specifiy
Fob pocket? - what style i.e. in waistband or outside and below with flap or button/hole? i wouldn't know enough to specifiy
Back pockets? - 1, 2 or none? If yes how do you prefer them to fasten, button through (preferable) or flap/button or tab/button. Concealed button is another option. Double jetted with button/hole look best I think.

Waistcoat/vest

-do you want a vest at all - yes
-single-breasted or double-breasted - single
-if single, five or six buttons? - not sure here
-lapels or no lapels? lapels look cool as per that photo i feel
-hole for watch chain? yeah why not
Number of pockets? don't know.

Most of these questions are covered in the style guide, however i'm not sure what to specifiy to get the look i linked in that photo

Sleeprequired

Reaction score
ok so having completed the style guide these are the options i've chosen... I'm trying to emulate the suit in the link. Can anyone tell me what i'm choosing that conflicts with that?

General
High Arm Holes
Left Lapel Button Hole with flower stem/cord behind
Lapels to match the style linked below
Lapel depth or roll to match image below - What should i specifiy here? What width should the lapels be?
Copy/Match this Style
- http://marshallmatlock.com/wp-conte...bs/thumbs_three piece suit, stylin on you.jpg

Material
Suit Fabric – 101053 - https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/10
Lining – Bemberg Grey
Buttons – Horn Buttons

Jacket Options
Full Canvas: C-000A
Notch Lapel: C-0001
Single Breasted two buttons: C-0012
Normal pockets with double besom ticket pocket: C-0204
Side Vents: C-04N2
Full Lining: C-0501
Left lapel sham buttonhole: C-0541 (must have flower stem/cord behind) - http://cdn.styleforum.net/1/1d/1dd00f66_IMG_7530.jpeg
Narrow Pick Stich 0.15cm: C-0571 - should i be getting a pick stitch?
*Pick Stich Match Fabric: C-057A - i take it matching is appropriate IF i do?
Normal Shoulder: C-0601 - do people generally specifiy the amount of padding etc?
Real Sleeve **** Real button hole: C-0612
Normal Buttoning: C-0640
*+Shape: C-0644
Buttonhole Colour match fabric: C-064A – Please make button holes this shape
http://cdn.styleforum.net/f/fa/fa2b99a4_IMG_7531.jpeg
Buttoning colour match buttonhole: C-064C – if using horn buttons is this still needed?
Satin Style – no Satin
Inner facing B: C-0702
Inner pocket besom by lining: C-0731
*Small triangle sweat pad: C-0742 - this is their standard
*Sweat pad with lining: C-074B
Fashion pocket: C-0803 – Can we add a phone pocket?
Inner pick stitch: C-0851
*Inner pick stitch colour: C-085A
?Brand Label below left pen pocket: 0871
Fabric label below right inner pocket: 0872
Name label above left inner pocket: 0873
Collar tab – C-0881

Pants Options
Pant style: T-3001
Waistband style standard”: T-3010
Plain front (no pleat): T-3020
2.5cm slant pocket: T-3104
Left welt watch pocket: T-3171
Double besom w/button: T-3201
Pocket and front fly with top stitch: T-3300
Sideseam Standard: T-3310
?Beltloop style: T-3329
?Sideband adjust buckle: T-3352
Fish Mouth Fly: T-3400
Pointed extender with hook & button: T-3412
Nylon Zip: T-3420
String pleat waistband with snugtex: T-3436
+ Shape buttons: T-345B
?Half Front Lining: T-3501
With ellipse shape gusset: T-3512
Back crotch seam with seal stitch: T-3520
Pocketing with binding: T-3526
Both sides coin pocket: T-3532
Plain 5.0 hemmed: T-3600
embroider customer name on heel guard: T-3612
label position 1.0cm below the hip pocket curtain: T-3640
Care Label Position: T3634

Vest Option
Notch Lapel with collar band: V-4005
Pointed Bottom 5 buttons: V-400G
Regular below pockets: V-4300
Standard two pockets vest: V4100
Standard vest with strap: V-4200
Care label attached to right seam: V-4216

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads