• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Suit and Shirt Feedback Please

why4009

Reaction score
Hi,

I am heading to HK and am going to dive into getting better MTM shirts (I plan on visiting Jantzen and Hemrajani). The one I am wearing was my first MTM shirt I made about a year ago when I was working there. I didn't know this forum existed at the time. The suit was also MTM. It is a little large only because I had a vest made with it, which I am not wearing at the time. On my friend's recommendation I go the working buttons, ticket pocket, 3 button, flat front pants, uncuffed.

I would like to get a better fit on the shirt so any feedback would be appreciated. I may pick up another suit. The pics seem a little off especially on the left cuff.

I understand what the members here say about the HK tailors don't give a lot of input they do what you tell them. I don't think I would have gotten as much break on the pants.

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Why4009

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be a thing of the angle but the shoulders seems pretty wide.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Well, I hate to be the one to say it, but that suit is a screaming endorsement of OTR clothing. The jacket is shaped like a barrel and the quarters could close a barn. As for the shirt, the cuffs are far too loose and the sleeves are too long. And it's big and sloppy. Honestly, I'd just buy some quality off-the-rack stuff that fits. I don't think you're being done a service by these tailors.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Well, I hate to be the one to say it, but that suit is a screaming endorsement of OTR clothing. The jacket is shaped like a barrel and the quarters could close a barn. As for the shirt, the cuffs are far too loose and the sleeves are too long. And it's big and sloppy. Honestly, I'd just buy some quality off-the-rack stuff that fits. I don't think you're being done a service by these tailors.

My sentiments exactly.

The suit looks very OTR.

why4009

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I will try a different shirt maker this time. Just a couple of follow on questions please.

1) When fully extended where should the shirt cuff stop at?
2) Sleeves should stop a 1/4 inch above the sleeve correct?
3) When I am at the tailor and feeling the shirt fabric, how do I know that it is a good fabric? I have read some mixed results on Jantzen (people ordering over the web) about how it looked good but when they got the shirt, the material was poor in quality.

There are a few people who have had good results with their MTM shirts on this board. I am going to take their pics with me to show as samples of the fit I am looking for. I do admit I look like I could float away in a strong wind with the shirt I am wearing.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Why4009
R

Pylon

Reaction score
Have to agree on the comments on the shirt. I've also had a few MTM shirts made from different vendors/brokers and have not been happy yet either. I hate it when an MTM shirt bunches around the waistline when tucked into the pants (as shown in your above photos) and when there's a lot of excess "circumference" in the arms. Very OTR-esque to me. I'm going to try CEGO on my next trip to NYC based on the recommendations from this forum. I guess you have to keep trying until you find the right tailor.

82-Greg

Reaction score
Jacket too big.
Pants too long.

A photo of the back of the suit would also be nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads