• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM shirt critique

DaveDr89

Reaction score
Comments appreciated on this MTM shirt. I realize the right sleeve is too long, but other comments appreciated.

bjornb17

Reaction score
The MTM shirts people keep posting on here for critiques always look all out of whack!

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the collar, looks like a RL Black Label. But the body is very blousy. For your body type I don't think you want to skin tight but there is definitely too much fabric there. It also appears in one of the pictures that the seam doesn't sit properly on your shoulders, it looks like the yoke is too big and thus causes the arms to be longer than necessary (although I suspect they are too long even if the yoke was sized right). To my eye the sleeve seams should be slightly more vertical.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
The MTM shirts people keep posting on here for critiques always look all out of whack!

Seriously! I actually expect to see a sloppy mess when I open threads like these.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The body is too blousy, but the biggest issue is that there is significant bunching of sleeve fabric. I understand that you sometimes don't get everything right with the first MTM or bespoke shirt, but something basic as the right sleeve length should be possible.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17

Guess most what you see here are folks measuring themselves and then ordering online. I hesitate calling this MTM since IMHO MTM implies a professional taking the measurements and ideally making small adjustments after a fitting.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
Yes, was washed several times. Measurements were actually taken by a profesional. Shirt is from Gitman Bros. Seems to fit pretty good but I agree pics don't look so great.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The back could be cleaned up a bit, maybe it's because the sleeves are too long it's throwing off how it looks in the picture. Was this a MTM shop on location or a MTM website?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks fine, and I am a MTM shirt rep. You want to have the cuff snug enough that the extra fabric bunching moves, as you move your arm. If it was any tighter than that, if you were my customer, I'd remake the shirt.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
it was a local clothes shop that takes the measurements and sends them to Gitman Bros for the order. I had the cuff buttons moved to make them a bit snungger but still there is too long on the right. I'm not that worried about sleave length as that is easy to fix, buth rather more concerned about the overal fit. For comparison I have some Barba white label OTR shirits that are probably too tight in the shoulders but sill look pretty good overall. I'll post them now. Those are from Shop the Finest and a lot cheaper. If those look better then I am wasting my money/time on this particular MTM process.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i don't think the gitman program has a lot of room for size alterations.
I think it is more of a customized shirt. collar and cuff choices with limted body adjustments

the sleeves are way too long. after washing the shirt twice.. do not put it in a dryer. have them shorten the sleeves.
what i really notice is that you have different size shoulders. not just a right low. some mtm programs allow differnt size yoke between right and left. this is not a split yoke.

the body is full. your call on that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads