• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Samuelsohn Corduroy Jacket

Young Pro

Reaction score
I will be commissioning a MTM Samuelsohn corduroy jacket in the next few weeks, and wanted to get the opinions of the esteemed SF community of styling details.

- Colour: I'm debating between a chocolate brown and a rich golden tan colour. Thoughts on versatility?

- Fabric: If anyone has any specific fabrics I should look at, please let me know. I'm thinking of the LP Zealander collection as a start.

- Model: I have several suits/jackets done up in the Todd model (slim waist, roped but fairly natural shoulder). I would definitely like this jacket to be on the slim side, but would rather it have a non-roped shoulder. Would also like it to be either a 3-roll-2 or "high-ish" 2 button style with side vents.

- Lapels: Does anyone know if you can request changes in lapel width on a Sammy MTM? I would like slightly wider lapels than on their Todd model if possible

- Pockets: I think this jacket would look great with angled/hacking pockets and perhaps the inclusion of a ticket pocket. Thoughts?

- Other details: Would definitely appreciate any suggestions on buttons or other details I may be forgetting.

Thanks everyone.

gefinzi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Pro
I will be commissioning a MTM Samuelsohn corduroy jacket in the next few weeks, and wanted to get the opinions of the esteemed SF community of styling details.

- Colour: I'm debating between a chocolate brown and a rich golden tan colour. Thoughts on versatility?

- Fabric: If anyone has any specific fabrics I should look at, please let me know. I'm thinking of the LP Zealander collection as a start.

- Model: I have several suits/jackets done up in the Todd model (slim waist, roped but fairly natural shoulder). I would definitely like this jacket to be on the slim side, but would rather it have a non-roped shoulder. Would also like it to be either a 3-roll-2 or "high-ish" 2 button style with side vents.

- Lapels: Does anyone know if you can request changes in lapel width on a Sammy MTM? I would like slightly wider lapels than on their Todd model if possible

- Pockets: I think this jacket would look great with angled/hacking pockets and perhaps the inclusion of a ticket pocket. Thoughts?

- Other details: Would definitely appreciate any suggestions on buttons or other details I may be forgetting.

Thanks everyone.

Colour: No real preference, but brown in general is less versatile than navy or medium gray.

Fabric: I just ordered a pair of MTM wool corduroy trousers from Samuelsohn. Is Zealander their wool corduroy? They are the only maker of wool corduroy of which I know. I would definitely favor this over cotton corduroy.

Model: I prefer their Greenwich model for my suits. Haven't ordered a sportscoat from Samuelsohn

Lapels: You can try but it may not work. I've tried to change the button stance on their MTM jackets and it works about 50% of the time. Not as reliable about these changes as Oxxford, but for the price wouldn't expect it. I still think Samuelsohn is great value for money.

Pockets: I don't know if I'd trust angled pockets to Samuelsohn, as I doubt it is something they ever do. Ticket pocket shouldn't be a problem. How about patch pockets?

Other details: You might search around and see if you can find an interesting lining which you could send to them to use. The ones they offer are fairly dull. I usually change out the buttons I get on Samuelsohn suits for better quality horn buttons.

emptym

Reaction score
I think brown would be great, imo. I've been wanting a dark brown corduroy suit for a while. Chorse123 has posted pics on WAYWRN of a great suit. If you get a suit, you would have the option to wear the jacket alone. Patch pockets sound like a good idea. I have no exp about Samuelsohn mtm though. Pls let us know how it turns out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics