• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MTM Samuelsohn Corduroy Jacket

Young Pro

Reaction score
I will be commissioning a MTM Samuelsohn corduroy jacket in the next few weeks, and wanted to get the opinions of the esteemed SF community of styling details.

- Colour: I'm debating between a chocolate brown and a rich golden tan colour. Thoughts on versatility?

- Fabric: If anyone has any specific fabrics I should look at, please let me know. I'm thinking of the LP Zealander collection as a start.

- Model: I have several suits/jackets done up in the Todd model (slim waist, roped but fairly natural shoulder). I would definitely like this jacket to be on the slim side, but would rather it have a non-roped shoulder. Would also like it to be either a 3-roll-2 or "high-ish" 2 button style with side vents.

- Lapels: Does anyone know if you can request changes in lapel width on a Sammy MTM? I would like slightly wider lapels than on their Todd model if possible

- Pockets: I think this jacket would look great with angled/hacking pockets and perhaps the inclusion of a ticket pocket. Thoughts?

- Other details: Would definitely appreciate any suggestions on buttons or other details I may be forgetting.

Thanks everyone.

gefinzi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Pro
I will be commissioning a MTM Samuelsohn corduroy jacket in the next few weeks, and wanted to get the opinions of the esteemed SF community of styling details.

- Colour: I'm debating between a chocolate brown and a rich golden tan colour. Thoughts on versatility?

- Fabric: If anyone has any specific fabrics I should look at, please let me know. I'm thinking of the LP Zealander collection as a start.

- Model: I have several suits/jackets done up in the Todd model (slim waist, roped but fairly natural shoulder). I would definitely like this jacket to be on the slim side, but would rather it have a non-roped shoulder. Would also like it to be either a 3-roll-2 or "high-ish" 2 button style with side vents.

- Lapels: Does anyone know if you can request changes in lapel width on a Sammy MTM? I would like slightly wider lapels than on their Todd model if possible

- Pockets: I think this jacket would look great with angled/hacking pockets and perhaps the inclusion of a ticket pocket. Thoughts?

- Other details: Would definitely appreciate any suggestions on buttons or other details I may be forgetting.

Thanks everyone.

Colour: No real preference, but brown in general is less versatile than navy or medium gray.

Fabric: I just ordered a pair of MTM wool corduroy trousers from Samuelsohn. Is Zealander their wool corduroy? They are the only maker of wool corduroy of which I know. I would definitely favor this over cotton corduroy.

Model: I prefer their Greenwich model for my suits. Haven't ordered a sportscoat from Samuelsohn

Lapels: You can try but it may not work. I've tried to change the button stance on their MTM jackets and it works about 50% of the time. Not as reliable about these changes as Oxxford, but for the price wouldn't expect it. I still think Samuelsohn is great value for money.

Pockets: I don't know if I'd trust angled pockets to Samuelsohn, as I doubt it is something they ever do. Ticket pocket shouldn't be a problem. How about patch pockets?

Other details: You might search around and see if you can find an interesting lining which you could send to them to use. The ones they offer are fairly dull. I usually change out the buttons I get on Samuelsohn suits for better quality horn buttons.

emptym

Reaction score
I think brown would be great, imo. I've been wanting a dark brown corduroy suit for a while. Chorse123 has posted pics on WAYWRN of a great suit. If you get a suit, you would have the option to wear the jacket alone. Patch pockets sound like a good idea. I have no exp about Samuelsohn mtm though. Pls let us know how it turns out.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40