• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mother of pearl buttons on suits

jalebi

Reaction score
Recently picked up this uncollected MTM Sartoria Castangia suit and the fit is perfect except for the sleeves are about 2cm too short. As the sleeves have working buttonholes it is likely to be an involved process to adjust the sleeves.

As I am going through that process anyway, I thought I'd have a think about the buttons themselves. They are rather shiny mother of pearl buttons, and I was wondering whether these sort of buttons make sense on this sort of suit? Do you tend to avoid mother of pearl buttons on suits entirely? Or only on more conservative and formal suits? Do more muted MOP buttons work too?

H5GVsWI.jpg

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to like them until Massimo Dutti started to put them into their suits. If I'm paying big bucks for bespoke I want to make sure that my suit looks bespoke and this means generally corozo in italian suits, 2 hole matte horn in Savile Row suits and plastic buttons in A&S. Only one of my statements above is false.

rwtc

Reaction score
I never use MOP and use horn only. If the garment is RTW and the buttons are corozo, I replace it with horn. Ultimately this is a stylistic decision that's dependent on your taste.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like smoke gray MOP buttons on casual summer garments. They also seem to work on that suit, although it's hard to judge on just that fabric.

Buttons that stand out will make a garment look a bit more casual, whereas matching tonal buttons are better for strictly formal suits.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had it and liked the look and felt it worked fine for a business setting but they are quite prone to getting damaged....I wouldn’t take them anymore now

jalebi

Reaction score
I like smoke gray MOP buttons on casual summer garments. They also seem to work on that suit, although it's hard to judge on just that fabric.

Buttons that stand out will make a garment look a bit more casual, whereas matching tonal buttons are better for strictly formal suits.

It's hard to capture the suit, as textured grey suit usually look a bit odd at close range, but the original Yoox image captures the colour roughly. It's essentially a mid grey, though a bit darker than this image suggests. I suppose I'll probably try out the MOP buttons for a bit and change them out later, as I am undecided. They don't seem to fit the suit perfectly, but the colour is quite similar.

JbyBYRCA.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's hard to capture the suit, as textured grey suit usually look a bit odd at close range, but the original Yoox image captures the colour roughly. It's essentially a mid grey, though a bit darker than this image suggests. I suppose I'll probably try out the MOP buttons for a bit and change them out later, as I am undecided. They don't seem to fit the suit perfectly, but the colour is quite similar.

View attachment 1420033

Hm, on that, I would use black buttons.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could do it, but since you’re starting from scratch, I think polished horn would look better. Save the MoP for shirts.

coldbrew

Reaction score
I think Grey MOP buttons look great on a grey suits, any other colours better stick with matte natural horn buttons.

For casual jackets MOP (smoked or white) buttons can really enhance the casualness of the jacket and bring it to life.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the buttons pictured were branded. That’s a nonstarter for me, regardless of the material, especially on a tailored item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads