• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most overrated movie/actor.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Overrated movie: Being John Malkovich. Turned it off (twice) before slogging though to the ending the next day. Not sure why I bothered.

Overrated Actor: When you disqualify ALL the celebrities and one-trick ponies masquerading as actors (such as Costner, Aniston, et al.), I think we're left with really only three true actors in the movies. Ed Norton, Nathan Lane, and Kevin Kline. I refuse to call any of these three overrated. All the rest I can live without.

I was about to name Tom Cruise for being overrated, but I liked Collateral, and have The Last Samaurai on the fixin-to-watch shelf.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'll raise you the entirety of the first two entries in the LOTR series, but particularly the first one. (Didn't see the third.)

The extended versions were much better, imo.

koji

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
I'd move it to the rather-watch-something-else shelf.

koji

How about coaster-land with all the old AOL CDs?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eyes Wide Shut
Tom Cruise

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

koji

Was it that bad? I got it during a GOB sale for $3, along with around 20 other movies including Deathtrap and Spotless Mind. Of course, I have yet to touch any of those movies since buying them 3 months ago.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score

koji

-10. I really liked that movie, it was what Shogun should have been had it been made into a PROPER film. But a piece of advice. Turn it off after the end of the last battle scene, because otherwise it WILL suck.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Land Before Time: The Big Freeze. Hated it.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Overrated movie: Tie between all the Best Picture Oscar winners of the past twenty years. Can't think of a really good one among them.

Overrated actor: Al Pacino. Esquire magazine once described his acting method as "bellowing his lines at the top of his lungs," and I haven't been able to look at him the same way since.

I have to say I enjoyed Braveheart,Shakespeare in Love,American Beauty,Schindlers List and Gladiator.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
I have to say I enjoyed Braveheart,Shakespeare in Love,American Beauty,Schindlers List and Gladiator.

I totally dug Shakespeare in Love. Judi Dench worked hard for her oscar.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

koji

You mean it doesn't portray an accurate description of the Meiji Restoration?
sarcasm.gif

Jon.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was almost going to put Pacino in as overrated, but I always look at him as the "before Scent of a Woman Al Pacino" (Godfathers I and II, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon) and the "after Scent of a Woman Al Pacino" (where he's basically played the same character over and over - though Heat was a good film, if a bit long).

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Adaptation.
I watched it a couple weeks ago, and I still don't feel right.

And I'm with JBZ as to Pacino: I think Godfather II is one of the best movies of all time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads