• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More tuxedo questions

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The event in in March, BTW. Would this pocket square be too much? Pocket square They also have the same on with just the green edges. I could go all white, but thought a little bit of color would be a good thing to do (I won't be wearing a flower).

BjornH

Reaction score
If this is the only color detail then it would work for me. You can also regulate how much of the square is showing.
B

armscye

Reaction score
The check and edging suggest an informality belied by the tux itself. A supremely confident dresser might use this to add personal whimsy to a formal outfit, using the pocket square to underscore the fact that they were Irish, or an outdoorsman. But the fact that you are asking means that you question the choice, which removes that "supreme confidence."

Go with a solid color that is deep but vibrant-- maroon, violet, deep blue, etc.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I disagree about solid color hanks with dinner jackets. Only white looks good, in my opinion. If you want a little color, try a white hank with a deep red or burgundy border. Or maybe one just like the one you linked, only with a dark red pattern rather than green.

Red goes well with flowers. Oh, right, you don't want to wear a flower ...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmm, it's rare for me to be the ultra-conservative voice, but I just can't see anything other than a white linen pocket square with a tuxedo. No edging for me, and I'm not a fan of solid silks in other colors for formal wear either.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For formal wear, I have a white hank with a black border and a thin black windowpane, and one with a black border with a black and red windowpane -- both from Flusser. I wear the black and white when I skip the flower, and the black, white and red one when I wear a red carnation.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes -- I just looked at the picture of the pocket square again. I must have been tired when I posted this thread.
smile.gif
I think I'll go with white, but I actually like the edging (I'll go with black, probably).

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While this certainly wouldn't be something I'd wear with semi-formal evening dress, you might be able to pull it off. One cautionary note: if your dinner clothes are black (which often have a slightly green cast under artificial light), all should be well. If they are midnight blue, the pocket square might look a bit out of sorts.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect Pocket Square. White with subtle jacquard design; dark navy hand-rolled edge matched perfectly to shirt stripe.
1101981102_400.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Pardon my troll, but I notice Tom has his top button rather than the bottom unbuttoned on his db. He pulls it off, of course, but is this an acceptable alternative for mere mortals?

Um, and I like his pocket square...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Pardon my troll, but I notice Tom has his top button rather than the bottom unbuttoned on his db. He pulls it off, of course, but is this an acceptable alternative for mere mortals?
Yes, if the lapel roll does not break sharply at the middle button.  In the 1930s, 6-on-2 DBs with lapels rolled to the bottom button were quite popular.  Flusser and others strongly recommend that look for shorter guys who love DB.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I never noticed that. I have a tendency to focus on the shirt collar. I'll ask after the current book tour is over.

Tyto

Reaction score

Um, and I like his pocket square...
Definitely acceptable, particularly for short folk (like me) who like DBs.

Manton: was it the Duke of Kent who first wore that style?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads